Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do they still give tickets on city buses?

• 19-05-2014 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Can't speak for Dublin now but one thing I've noticed in Galway is that they always print you a ticket when you get on. Obvious environmental issues aside it's a complete waste of money. There is only one set of doors, the driver sees everyone get on and off and let's be honest - there has never been a conductor checking them! Surely if they scrapped paper tickets they might be able to avoid these price hikes every single year for a service that has never improved in the slightest?

I've been to London and can't say I'm a huge fan of the Oyster card system, and anyway it would not be necessary in a city the size of Galway, but I can't see any drawbacks in just doing away with printing everyone a ticket.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I've had my tickets checked in Dublin. People lie about their destination and run the risk of being caught out if a conductor gets on. If you took away tickets there would be no way to counter this.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Given that in 6 years I've never seen a conductor nor has anyone I've spoken to, surely the reduced cost would outweigh the financial risk of fare dodgers? Besides, I am talking about city buses. It's the same fare regardless of destination.

Might reduce cleaning costs too. Every bus I get on is littered with tickets as most people just throw them away the second they get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Need them to redeem your change in Dublin if you didn't have exact fare and overpaid.

Not to be rude but I made it fairly clear I wasn't talking about Dublin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Legal obligation to issue a receipt, and also to ensure that people have a valid ticket in the event of a revenue inspection.

LEAP has just been rolled out in Cork, and I would imagine that it will gradually be phased into each of the regional cities.

There are no conductors in Bus Eireann, but there are inspectors and I would be fairly confident that they will become more visible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It's proof of purchase, you should always be provided with proof of purchase. The oyster card in London, like the Leap Card in Dublin/Cork, provides proof of Purchase as theirs details stored on them for the journey being made.

Surely proof of purchase can be waived, or can just be provided upon request?

What is LEAP?

No - they are legally obliged to issue a receipt.

LEAP is the new card that is being rolled out in Dublin and Cork and which will be extended to other parts of the country - similar to Oyster. Full information at www.leapcard.ie

lxflyer wrote: »

LEAP is the new card that is being rolled out in Dublin and Cork and which will be extended to other parts of the country - similar to Oyster. Full information at .....

I see. I've been to plenty of places that do not give you a receipt unless you ask, some even have signs up saying as much. Suppose it's a bit more stringent with state bodies though.

LEAP card looks the job. Surprised it's taken this long to introduce tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Of course in Cork, they are pronounced LEP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

Of course in Cork, they are pronounced LEP.

I continually have to correct myself when saying it. So used to saying Lep for leap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭AndrewJD

Intifada wrote: »
    Given that in 6 years I've never seen a conductor nor has anyone I've spoken to, surely the reduced cost would outweigh the financial risk of fare dodgers?

Are they not hiring a load of new inspectors to try and get on top of this? After 4 years of commuting with DB I've been inspected twice, both times on the quays. I'd imagine if you hopped on the buses coming in from the edges of the system before you hit the major departure stops near O'Connell street/College Green you'd catch a fair few people who asked for a fare tier below the one they really needed.

The OP is in Galway and is talking about Bus Eireann Galway city services it would appear, and NOT Dublin bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The OP is in Galway and is talking about Bus Eireann Galway city services it would appear, and NOT Dublin bus.

Well given that the thread title makes no mention of Galway or Bus Eireann, it would make sense as far as I'm concerned to move this thread to the Galway forum.

Outsiders not welcome.....
    Not to be rude but I made it fairly clear I wasn't talking about Dublin :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

LEAP is the new card that is being rolled out in Dublin and Cork and which will be extended to other parts of the country - similar to Oyster. Full information at www.leapcard.ie

So how do City Direct manage to get away with not issuing tickets, then? (What's more, one of their city routes does even have a 2nd stage with a higher price - dunno if anyone pays it though.)

They are supposed to.

coylemj wrote: »
    Well given that the thread title makes no mention of Galway or Bus Eireann, it would make sense as far as I'm concerned to move this thread to the Galway forum.

It would make more sense for you to read the first four words of the first post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

It would make more sense for you to read the first four words of the first post.

To be fair, all your first post established was that you didn't have any direct experience of using city buses in Dublin. The wording of your question could include any city buses and nothing on your post clarifies what you actually meant.

The thread title would make more sense if it said "Why do they still give tickets on Galway city buses?"

Advertisement