Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drop offs in a taxi

• 19-05-2014 11:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Do taxi drivers do drop offs
    Say there are 3 in the taxi

Can 2 people
    Be dropped at there house before the destination they just through money to the final person.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Yes but the last person will be the person paying for all three.

It is also best to tell the driver at the start of the journey who is getting out and where so that they don't get surprised by a sudden request to stop mid journey and passengers trying to bale out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Yes but the last person will be the person paying for all three.

That's fine we will give the last person the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Do taxi drivers do drop offs
    Say there are 3 in the taxi

Can 2 people
    Be dropped at there house before the destination they just through money to the final person.

The bottom line is if the driver gets paid the end fare. How the passengers split it between themselves is up to them is no consequence once they pay up.

If you want a fair way to work it out between you, I'd suggest you give whomever is last out 33% of what's on the meter plus €1 when you get out. This way you all get cheaper than for a single journey plus the fare is reasonably pro para shared out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

this is fine,

for your awareness, be very careful that they don't try to take advantage of you by restarting the meter when someone gets out as its all one journey / fare. this would really increase the amount you have to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

surpy wrote: »
    this is fine,

for your awareness, be very careful that they don't try to take advantage of you by restarting the meter when someone gets out as its all one journey / fare. this would really increase the amount you have to pay.

How?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    How?

The initial fare includes a component for the hire of the vehicle, it would actually depend on the distances involved as to whether restarting the meter would be advantageous to a driver or not, on short hops yes on longer runs that switch to the higher rates probably not.

The giving 33% from each passenger is probably OK if you are all in the same relative area but oh so often do I hear the last passenger complaining of being stitched up for the remainder of the fare

How?

Driver might try suggest it's easier to work out the price for the drop off if he totals the fare when they get out and charge the remainders for a separate short trip with minimum charge etc

Spook_ie wrote: »

The giving 33% from each passenger is probably OK if you are all in the same relative area but oh so often do I hear the last passenger complaining of being stitched up for the remainder of the fare

That's just what I used to suggest to passengers when I was working, Spook; I found that it worked out well as a rule. There would be the very occasional long trip as you mention but as I said earlier, as long as I got paid... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I have thought about this (too much? probably!) but the last person might feel stung but the farest (sic, pun intended) calculation IMO is:

Pick up - 3 people
    Fare on meter when 1st Dropped = €30
    Fare on meter when 2nd dropped = €50
    Final total fare = €60

Person 1 pays one third of the journey so far i.e. €10 (€30/3)

Person 2 pays this €10 but also half of the second leg (€50-€30)/2, so €20 in total

Person 3 pays the €20 person 2 does and the difference so €30

This:
    * Assumes the rate per min/Km is constant (actually it may not, thinking about it)
    * Does not split the initial charge fairly
    * May prove to be too much mental acrobatics at 3am after a few pints

So is pretty useless ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Irish Halo wrote: »

So is pretty useless ...

+1 This is what usually happens...

Person 1 gets out, says he only has nothing smaller than a €50 and he'll 'sort out' person 3 tomorrow - knowing he won't remember.

On the way to his drop-off point, Person 2 spots that his local chipper is still open so asks to be let off there. When he goes for some cash to leave with Person 3, he announces that he only has enough cash for a batter burger and chips and asks person 3 to look after the fare and he'll fix up with him tomorrow.

Person 3 gets screwed for the fare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

surpy wrote: »
    Driver might try suggest it's easier to work out the price for the drop off if he totals the fare when they get out and charge the remainders for a separate short trip with minimum charge etc

Driver might also suggest St Pats are going to win the World Cup or theres life on mars.
    Your "logic" surpy doesn't make sense.

Irish Halo wrote: »
    I have thought about this (too much? probably!) but the last person might feel stung but the farest (sic, pun intended) calculation IMO is:

Pick up - 3 people
    Fare on meter when 1st Dropped = €30
    Fare on meter when 2nd dropped = €50
    Final total fare = €60

Person 1 pays one third of the journey so far i.e. €10 (€30/3)

Person 2 pays this €10 but also half of the second leg (€50-€30)/2, so €20 in total

Person 3 pays the €20 person 2 does and the difference so €30

This:
    * Assumes the rate per min/Km is constant (actually it may not, thinking about it)
    * Does not split the initial charge fairly

So is pretty useless ...

If you and your friends are running up those sort of taxi fares, I think I'll be renewing my PSV real soon as they were hens tooth stuff when I was in the trade :)

Break it into normal fares. First off and the fare is €7 plus €2 extras; she gives €4 and is home for about half price. Next one off and it's €10 plus €2, she gives €5; again it's about half price. Last one and the final fare is €13 plus €2, that's €15. Last passenger owes €6 and again is home for half price.

Yes, it isn't scientifically accurate but it's one way out of it plus people generally round up when sharing cabs.

coylemj wrote: »
    +1 This is what usually happens...

Person 1 gets out, says he only has nothing smaller than a €50 and he'll 'sort out' person 3 tomorrow - knowing he won't remember.

On the way to his drop-off point, Person 2 spots that his local chipper is still open so asks to be let off there. When he goes for some cash to leave with Person 3, he announces that he only has enough cash for a batter burger and chips and asks person 3 to look after the fare and he'll fix up with him tomorrow.

Person 3 gets screwed for the fare.

Yeah but it's not the cabbies problem once it's paid :)

Driver might also suggest St Pats are going to win the World Cup or theres life on mars.
    Your "logic" surpy doesn't make sense.

What do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yeah but it's not the cabbies problem once it's paid :)

Just trying to inject a piece of harmless humour, sorry if you took it seriously.

coylemj wrote: »
    Just trying to inject a piece of harmless humour, sorry if you took it seriously.

Noel V Ginnity would be proud :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

If you and your friends are running up those sort of taxi fares ...
    I wouldn't get too excited I try not to use taxis even when in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

One watch out is when the lads are getting out, not to pay any money to the driver directly at this point. You hold the cash and pay in one go at the end. I have been stung a few times.

In my experience (as the last to get out many times) that I have done pretty well out of the deal, with the buddies who get out earlier being too drunk and too generous with what they think they should be paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

murphym7 wrote: »
    One watch out is when the lads are getting out, not to pay any money to the driver directly at this point. You hold the cash and pay in one go at the end. I have been stung a few times.

In my experience (as the last to get out many times) that I have done pretty well out of the deal, with the buddies who get out earlier being too drunk and too generous with what they think they should be paying.

Do you mean your a stingy so'n'so who'd take their pals money rather than pay your share? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Do you mean your a stingy so'n'so who'd take their pals money rather than pay your share? :)

You have cracked my code!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement