Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acting pursuits

Options
  • 03-04-2015 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All,

Recently a good friend of mine as dropped out of college to pursue his dreams of becoming an actor, He's 20 and has an exception character.

Initially when I heard he left college I did got very angry as having finished college myself I know how important it is to have a plan B and something to fall back on.

I have since spoken to him about it and with some convincing - now support his decision to follow this career path.

I want to be realistic about this an explore every option available.

What I am asking all of you, preferably actors (both screen and theatre) if you could maybe part with some advice for him?

He has some acting experience, plays mainly, and has done a few summer courses in acting. He is also doing a 8 week intensive acting course in Dublin (David Scotts -Art of Acting) and then hopes to move to London to try and get some work.

I have absolutely no experience with acting myself nor do I know anyone in the field, I do know that it is a tough road ahead of him, years without a decent pay cheque and living off a promise.

I am not naive on the reality of the situation but would like to be educated on what to expect.

Would love to hear what people suggest! Please spare no detail and if anyone has already done the 8 week course would love to hear if there was any success afterwards.

Thanks in advance,

T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your initial reaction was correct - he should go back to college and have a degree of some sort to fall back on.
    I know a good few actors, most are struggling or in part time and even full time employment. There is very little professional work available in Ireland and a lot of people looking to get that work. The UK is much the same. A friend of mine, did what your friend is doing - did a degree in acting in Trinity - couldn't get work here. He then moved to London and couldn't get acting work there either. He's now in full time employment.
    If he thinks he can work part-time and do auditions, it's not really practical either as most employers won't put up with the amount of time going to auditions. On top of that your friend will never hear anything back from over 90% of the auditions he does.
    Unless you have the means to support yourself, while not working, I wouldn't recommend this career choice to anyone.
    Get a degree, get a job and do acting as a hobby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

There is no industry in Ireland.

He'd have to emmigrate to Britain or the US.

A very tough life of uncertainty, but there is more in the US or Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Twf89

Thank you for your replies guys, very well put together.

Yes its a tough one, he's a bit younger than me and I don't want to obliterate he's dreams but want to show him the benefits of having a plan B - i.e. a degree.

He's working a basic-unskilled labour job at the moment in his hometown in order to fund his 8 week course and has such enthusiasm to succeed but it feels like he's walking into a burning building and there's FA I or anyone can do to stop him.

Its sad in a way really as he really is a very sensitive- sweet guy but I imagine the next few years of relentless hardship, unemployment, rejections and instability will change him.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I should approach this?

Thanks

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Twf89 wrote: »
    Thank you for your replies guys, very well put together.

Yes its a tough one, he's a bit younger than me and I don't want to obliterate he's dreams but want to show him the benefits of having a plan B - i.e. a degree.

He's working a basic-unskilled labour job at the moment in his hometown in order to fund his 8 week course and has such enthusiasm to succeed but it feels like he's walking into a burning building and there's FA I or anyone can do to stop him.

Its sad in a way really as he really is a very sensitive- sweet guy but I imagine the next few years of relentless hardship, unemployment, rejections and instability will change him.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I should approach this?

Thanks

T

Degrees don't guarantee anything anymore. There are plenty of successful drop outs and there are plenty of PHDs working behind tills.

This is his journey, of course its going to change him. Life changes everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Send him an anonymous link to this thread or else just tell him out straight what your concerns are and mention the points I've said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 CeeJayDee

Having to chose an exclusive "career path" is really not necessary, especially in the acting industry. In fact, it is a skill that could complement your current path before you need to make any decision to dedicate all your time and the future to it.
    I'm not sure what college he was in or what course he was doing, but most of the 3rd Level institutes have active Drama Societies for people to train and get experience in acting, while continuing with a degree... As stated already, this is the way to go in the first instance.
    Having said that, he is clearly going about his acting ambitions the right way by getting as much training as possible and David Scott's course will help him on that road...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Film Guy 3000

Hi Twf89,

I can understand your concerns, it sounds like he's a really good friend and you don't want to see him get hurt or have a tough time of it. Acting is a serious passion though and some people just have to do. It can be a very tough career path and something that a lot of people struggle to break into properly for years, but it sounds like he's the perfect age to have a really good go at it, get as much training as he can, do as many plays and short films and features as he can, just throw himself into it 100% and get to know the community of actors, writers, directors and filmmakers that are in Dublin and Ireland. It is a really challenging career path but it is also incredibly rewarding in many different ways. Having a plan B that you're also working towards can often be a bad idea I think when it comes to pursuing a dream like this, because it is so tough, you need to be 100% focused and committed to it and willing to make sacrifices.

It sounds like he's excited about following this path and is working hard to fund his education. From what I can tell by your post he's going about it the right way and will probably do it whether or not you voice your concerns. And I would say it's quite possible if you come out against his dream it you could do damage to your friendship. My advice would be to support him as best you can and try to understand that this is something he really wants for his life. It is certainly possible to have a successful career as an actor, and Irish actors in particular are doing incredibly well in recent years both here and across the water, there's a lot of interest in what's coming out of Ireland right now and who are any of us to say that your friend won't be successful too. We all only have one life to live as far as any of us know for certain, so spending that in pursuit of a dream and a passion is something to be encouraged.

<Mod Snip - Advertising is not permitted>

I hope this helps.

Advertisement