Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Field at Gaiety

Options
  • 04-05-2015 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭

Went to see Saturday. Enjoyed the show and the familiar faces.

A little low on the background music and ends kind of abruptly (true enough to Keane's work i guess).

Overall a good effort. Anyone else been and care to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Went to see Saturday. Enjoyed the show and the familiar faces.

A little low on the background music and ends kind of abruptly (true enough to Keane's work i guess).

Overall a good effort. Anyone else been and care to share?

Thought the whole thing reeked of amateurism. For a 50th celebration this should have been cast with the cream of Irish theatre. Harding is not a first rate actor, age difference between the publican and his wife was totally ignored and her Scottish accent kept slipping out. The Bull's cousin forgot his lines. A dreadful production by producers who cut their teeth in the amateur world.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it.
    I thought Harding was very powerful as The Bull.The attention to detail of the set, the costumes and make up were very authentic for me.

It was annoying that the actress playing Mrs Flanagan kept changing her accent- you couldn't but notice it.

I'd never seen the stage version before, wasn't familiar with the original story, only having seen the film which is really very different to the play.

Would definitely recommend though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The guy who played the bishop stole the show. Really took me back to the 80's the way he seemed to be addressing the audience how we'll all burn in hell etc :p

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Bad reviews always put me off going to see a show. I've been involved in productions of this before and I was looking forward to seeing it, not so sure now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

naasrd wrote: »
    Thought the whole thing reeked of amateurism.
    It's parish-hall community drama. Shows how poor modern Irish theatre is when they're still putting on this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Went last night and enjoyed it enormously. I thought Mark O'Regan as The Bird really stole the show and was enormously entertaining. Harding was also excellent although lacked the menace of Harris in the film version. I thought Maimie Flanagan was good too although her accent needs to be worked on. Lighting and make up both wonderful. Overall really enjoyed and we had front seats in the Dress Circle which is always nice. Would definitely recommend!

Advertisement