Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Xiaomi Mi Band 1S for 20 EUR shipped

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Has anyone used that site, is it safe to purchase from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Lord Nikon wrote: »

Plus parcel motel ... about €17.50 with conversion/bank charges and parcel motel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

They both appear to be the original. OPs link was to the newer model with the HRM.

My bad ..

My bad also. Saying that, just purchased two MiBand S1 from AliExpress for €45 shipped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

My bad also. Saying that, just purchased two MiBand S1 from AliExpress for €45 shipped.

Is this site as legit as aliexpress though? At least with aliexpress you have some protection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This is very cheap, and I have wanted a HR tracker for a while. But it appears that the heart rate is not tracked over a period of time, you can only view it in snapshots. So it doesn't appear to give a heart rate readout when you run/cycle which is disappointing. I might hold off!

This is the article I got the info from, perhaps there's been an update to the app.

https://www.techinasia.com/xiaomi-mi-band-pulse-review

This is very cheap, and I have wanted a HR tracker for a while. But it appears that the heart rate is not tracked over a period of time, you can only view it in snapshots. So it doesn't appear to give a heart rate readout when you run/cycle which is disappointing. I might hold off!

This is the article I got the info from, perhaps there's been an update to the app.

Well, that I'm aware, it is compatible with various fitness tracker apps, so, it should feedback live heart rates.

• Advertisement

Well, that I'm aware, it is compatible with various fitness tracker apps, so, it should feedback live heart rates.

Interesting! Might buy one so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Interesting! Might buy one so!

Is the site dodgy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

cronos wrote: »
    Is the site dodgy?

Haven't used it before but I placed and order yesterday. Paid through PayPal.
    So far the emails look legit. Will report back.

cosgrove80 wrote: »

Yeah same boat here, not too sure about this site, but I did take a punt. I was worried when my order number was 1000065 or something. Paypal makes it relatively secure though, it'll probably be grand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Has anybody replaced an older one with one of these yet? I bought one of the original ones for the mother last March and she has not missed 10k steps one day since, she adores it. I'd love to get her one of these new ones, but I'd worry that she'll lose her 'streak' if I mess with it, and she would end me if that happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Would be most interested in the sleep monitoring function on this.. Can anyone who has one report on the accuracy of the information it gathers about sleep patterns, and whether you'd recommend it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I would recommend the older one as that is the one I have.

I love it,

I came in the top 14% of users for activity in November, our busiest time in work where on average I did 18000 steps a day!

I love the fact that the alarm only wakes me, it's a vibration alarm

As for sleep,

One of our dogs died early December and my sleep was very erratic when died and for weeks afterwards too. It was and is good to know how you sleep,

It goes in hourly sections and can tell if it's light sleep, or if you wake up and for how long,

It's amazing how for the month of December my sleep was very bad and I can now compare it,

I would recommend these to anyone,

Only one word of caution,

I lost one, it popped out of the bracelet, mind you it was my own fault as I bought a fancy flowery bracelet, it is ... Was not as taught as the black one which I have reverted back to.

There is a section on the phone app I only wish I knew about for finding lost gizmos.....

I bought mine from original post here from Gearbest

http://www.techgoondu.com/2015/01/04/goondu-review-xiaomi-mi-band/. A review with pcs...

lazeedaisy wrote: »

I love it...

Thanks Daisy - think I'll order one based on your review :)
    Well done on the top 14%, and sorry to hear about your dog..

cosgrove80 wrote: »
    Yeah same boat here, not too sure about this site, but I did take a punt. I was worried when my order number was 1000065 or something. Paypal makes it relatively secure though, it'll probably be grand!

Also ordered through this site - seems legit :pac:
    For 20 quid and with paypal protection, can hardly go wrong..
    Will update with dispatch / delivery times for anyone else considering using it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,365 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    I would recommend the older one as that is the one I have.

I love it,

I came in the top 14% of users for activity in November, our busiest time in work where on average I did 18000 steps a day!

I love the fact that the alarm only wakes me, it's a vibration alarm

As for sleep,

One of our dogs died early December and my sleep was very erratic when died and for weeks afterwards too. It was and is good to know how you sleep,

It goes in hourly sections and can tell if it's light sleep, or if you wake up and for how long,

It's amazing how for the month of December my sleep was very bad and I can now compare it,

I would recommend these to anyone,

Only one word of caution,

I lost one, it popped out of the bracelet, mind you it was my own fault as I bought a fancy flowery bracelet, it is ... Was not as taught as the black one which I have reverted back to.

There is a section on the phone app I only wish I knew about for finding lost gizmos.....

I bought mine from original post here from Gearbest

http://www.techgoondu.com/2015/01/04/goondu-review-xiaomi-mi-band/. A review with pcs...

Great review. You've convinced me to get one !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I've had the original for the last few months and for the €10 I spent I'd 100% recommend it. Sleep tracking is about 90% accurate or better. Step tracking is ok, it's more movement rather than steps it tracks when you're indoors but very accurate when you leave and walk anywhere.

The alarm is great too, another handy feature is the option to wake you up gradually. My one vibrates for phone calls (iOS) but Android users have even more options for notifications.

I ordered the new version on November 11 for roughly €20 from a site I can't mention on here anymore. Picked up my original from there as well and no issues with it. Unfortunately I'm still waiting on the new 1S version as it was a pre sale and it didn't actually ship till the start of December.

One thing to note is the heart rate monitoring has to be activated by you, so it doesn't do it at regular intervals. This could change with an update though.

The companion app on iOS is great too, gets regular updates and looks really nice.

Also one last thing, the battery life is excellent. It's rated for 30 days but mostly I've gotten almost double that. You just have to remember where you left the charger. :D

DubDJ wrote: »
    Also one last thing, the battery life is excellent. It's rated for 30 days but mostly I've gotten almost double that. You just have to remember where you left the charger. :D

Is it a standard USB charger port?

Can anyone say if I can use it for running/cycling apps...so it can feed the apps my heart rate, to determine calorie count etc.

Is it a standard USB charger port?

No, from the reviews, it's proprietary

Can anyone say if I can use it for running/cycling apps...so it can feed the apps my heart rate, to determine calorie count etc.

I'm not sure you can. This is what I want, but it looks like this isn't possible. I have read a lot of reviews and most say you can't, but some have had some HR tracking success... I'll just have to wait and see really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

Cheers for that, I think I'll hold off as well. It's a positive review mostly, but not worth paying extra for gaining the minimal heart rate function and losing the long battery (five or six weeks for me) life. I'll stick with the original that I've had for eight months without any complaints.

I think for apps to track the band the app would have to work with Xiaomi and support it. Right now I doubt many apps have support and would only support the bigger brands in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Do any of the bands offer continuous HRM? I would have thought wrist-based HRM would be too susceptible to movement artefacts to make it viable*.

*just an educated guess, not based on research

Do any of the bands offer continuous HRM? I would have thought wrist-based HRM would be too susceptible to movement artefacts to make it viable*.

*just an educated guess, not based on research

This uses the same tech as in the fitbit charge HR and the apple watch and others. It has it's limits in terms of accuracy I'm sure, but it is a proven tech. I would guess something like this may be limited by the device firmware, which is very much locked down by xiaomi. I'll post back here when I get it to see if it works with 3rd party apps and how well the HR monitor works.

• Advertisement

I'll post back here when I get it to see if it works with 3rd party apps and how well the HR monitor works.

I will also, but I'm expecting the usual wait times from AliExpress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭randombar

Code isn't working guys, anything up or doing something wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

GaryCocs wrote: »

On the product page it says "Coupon validity: Jan.10. 2016".

Just above where you enter the code it says its only valid until 10/1/16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭randombar

b@lls!

b@lls!

These bands are not that much more expensive through the regular chinese shops, banggood, gearbest etc. Could be worth waiting for another similar offer though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

These bands are not that much more expensive through the regular chinese shops, banggood, gearbest etc. Could be worth waiting for another similar offer though.

Yeah, I ordered a 1S from a seller on Aliexpress last week including a spare strap, €24 in total. Now the long wait begins.

This uses the same tech as in the fitbit charge HR and the apple watch and others. It has it's limits in terms of accuracy I'm sure, but it is a proven tech. I would guess something like this may be limited by the device firmware, which is very much locked down by xiaomi. I'll post back here when I get it to see if it works with 3rd party apps and how well the HR monitor works.

So it looks like the Apple Watch doesn't do continuous HRM either. According to their website:
    In addition, Apple Watch attempts to measure your heart rate every 10 minutes, but won't record it when you're in motion or your arm is moving.

It sounds like it takes a snapshot every 10mins if you're not moving your arm. I'm sure FitBit and all the rest have a similar setup.

Xiaomi should be able to do the same as long as the software on the phone supports it. I found the software a bit limited with the original band. I was hoping to be able to set up reminders to leave my desk if I hadn't moving in a while but it didn't support that kind of thing (last time I looked). Unless the software has been overhauled, you'll probably need to manually go into it and request a HRM. Hopefully someone will chime in and tell me this isn't the case!

So it looks like the Apple Watch doesn't do continuous HRM either. According to their website:

It sounds like it takes a snapshot every 10mins if you're not moving your arm. I'm sure FitBit and all the rest have a similar setup.

Xiaomi should be able to do the same as long as the software on the phone supports it. I found the software a bit limited with the original band. I was hoping to be able to set up reminders to leave my desk if I hadn't moving in a while but it didn't support that kind of thing (last time I looked). Unless the software has been overhauled, you'll probably need to manually go into it and request a HRM. Hopefully someone will chime in and tell me this isn't the case!

You're correct, to get a HR reading you need to open the app and manually start one. For the price I've no real issue, only thing is the option is kind of buried in a drop down settings menu. I'd prefer if it was on the main screen with the other stats like sleep and steps. They could change it with an update easily enough though.

I think not automatically taking a reading is probably down to preserving the battery, I'd still sacrifice a little even if it took hourly readings.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I think not automatically taking a reading is probably down to preserving the battery, I'd still sacrifice a little even if it took hourly readings.

That's the impression I got from the original band too. It's a passive device to give you summary information rather than something to give you active information. I think it's a good approach but I just wish they'd allow you to hook in with something like Tasker for some flexibility.

Jaysus, there was me thinking the apple watch would actually make a decent fitness tracker.

So it looks like this is still a great buy for 20 quid. We'll just have to hope the software is updated to add more features. From what I've read about the previous version, updates were regular, and functionality increased over time. So it looks promising at least.

OT: I haven't received any mails to say my order has been dispatched... not too sure what's going on with them tbh.

• Advertisement

the heart-rate (HR) functionality will open up over time.
    already there is a third-party app allowing for measuring heart-rate per customizable time intervals (e.g. every minute, every 2 minutes).
    https://www.reddit.com/r/miband/comments/4069wc/mi_band_notify_implements_heart_rate_monitor/

there is a trade-off on battery life vs how often you measure HR.

glasso wrote: »
    already there is a third-party app allowing for measuring heart-rate per customizable time intervals (e.g. every minute, every 2 minutes).
    https://www.reddit.com/r/miband/comments/4069wc/mi_band_notify_implements_heart_rate_monitor/

Thanks glasso! That might change my mind about buying one. Not entirely sure why I'd need it though. I have a Garmin Forerunner for exercise* and I'm fairly sure my HR is normal the rest of the day. It could be interesting for looking at general trends over a year.

I don't suppose you've come across something to remind me to get away from the desk? I've tried phone and pebble apps but they're not very reliable.

*Caveat for anyone thinking of buying one of these light-based HRMs. They can't replace a traditional strap-based sensor in terms of accurate measurements during physical activity. They're too affected by movement. If you're going to use one for this purpose, only trust the readings you take when stationary (i.e. between sets or something)

glasso wrote: »

That's great to see, I can only imagine this will have improved by the time we get them, and in the next few months too!
    Thanks glasso! That might change my mind about buying one. Not entirely sure why I'd need it though. I have a Garmin Forerunner for exercise* and I'm fairly sure my HR is normal the rest of the day. It could be interesting for looking at general trends over a year.

I don't suppose you've come across something to remind me to get away from the desk? I've tried phone and pebble apps but they're not very reliable.

*Caveat for anyone thinking of buying one of these light-based HRMs. They can't replace a traditional strap-based sensor in terms of accurate measurements during physical activity. They're too affected by movement. If you're going to use one for this purpose, only trust the readings you take when stationary (i.e. between sets or something)

Certain activities might be okay. Cycling for example where your arm/wrist isn't moving should result in a good reading I'd hope!

OT: I haven't received any mails to say my order has been dispatched... not too sure what's going on with them tbh.

Me neither.. Probably should have gone with the Ali Express one at €24 with an extra strap

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Me neither.. Probably should have gone with the Ali Express one at €24 with an extra strap

Do you have a link to that one ?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Do you have a link to that one ?

Sorry, on the phone so can't link.. Just search for the device by name on AliExpress and it's high up in the results

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Sorry, on the phone so can't link.. Just search for the device by name on AliExpress and it's high up in the results

Thanks. Had a look there but looks like its coming in at €30.

Think I'll still order it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭Invincible

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Thanks. Had a look there but looks like its coming in at €30.

Think I'll still order it :)

Its available for $23.79 on the site that's mentioned in a sticky here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭TakeTheVeil

Invincible wrote: »
    Its available for $23.79 on the site that's mentioned in a sticky here.

€22.61 on Geekbuying now too

I orderd through AliExpress, but be sure to choose the Xiaomi Store, within AliExpress, and not some 3rd party vendor, who may be selling knockoffs.

This is where I ordered
    http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/7236520730.html?orderId=72114331460114

• Advertisement
Advertisement