Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VODAFONE 4" SMARTPHONE...29 EURO

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Has anyone been able to use the Spotify 3 months free Premium on another phone? If so, how did you do it?

it's not tied to your phone
    when you go to the offer page and login with your vodafone username and password you registered to that phone, you'll be prompted to create a new spotify account or add the subscription to an existing spotify account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

embraer170 wrote: »
    Gone up to €79.
    they seem to have jacked up all their prices huh

typical irish website

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Smash The House

they seem to have jacked up all their prices huh

typical irish website

yes but they are now offering €20 discount if you switch on nearly all phones so while some have gone up, some have stayed the same

E.g.
    Smart Mini was orginally €39 with no €20 off for switching
    Now its €49 with €20 off = €29

Lumis 520 was €79 with no €20 off
    Now its €99 with €20 off = €79

Shame about the smart 3 though :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭nuttyboy79

Has anyone been able to use the Spotify 3 months free Premium on another phone? If so, how did you do it?

We have it going on 2 phones and a tablet.

Great phone by the way my daughter got it for Christmas and she loves it on it all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

breathn wrote: »
    it's not tied to your phone
    when you go to the offer page and login with your vodafone username and password you registered to that phone, you'll be prompted to create a new spotify account or add the subscription to an existing spotify account

So the same will apply here as i used two tesco no's to port over for the phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

I big thank you not very much to vodafone. After they screwed the porting and told me I could activate the free spotify on both phones so long as it was before the end of January they now say they can't do it and the offer is gone. Also as a result of the screwup it never tracked on fatcheese. Along with their dodgy fibre service and 2 weeks and 15 phone calls fighting over a dodgy fibre router its a triple f-up. Cheers VD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

I big thank you not very much to vodafone. After they screwed the porting and told me I could activate the free spotify on both phones so long as it was before the end of January they now say they can't do it and the offer is gone. Also as a result of the screwup it never tracked on fatcheese. Along with their dodgy fibre service and 2 weeks and 15 phone calls fighting over a dodgy fibre router its a triple f-up. Cheers VD.

When did they tell you that I only activated my spotify on tuesday, as I had to wait for premium to run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

moodrater wrote: »
    When did they tell you that I only activated my spotify on tuesday, as I had to wait for premium to run out.

Was just told today after the CSR went off to speak to her manager regards it. Very polite agent but not the response I was expecting. 60 quid value loss on top of the fatcheese failure to track of 24. Not impressed with VD after all this. :(

Was just told today after the CSR went off to speak to her manager regards it. Very polite agent but not the response I was expecting. 60 quid value loss on top of the fatcheese failure to track of 24. Not impressed with VD after all this. :(

They'll try to fob you off anyway its right there in their terms and conditiosn:
    Spotify Premium PAYG Promotion-first three months free
    Pay As You Go (PAYG) customers who purchase a Spotify enabled smartphone between 22nd November 2013 and 4 January 2014 are entitled to three months free subscription to Spotify Premium (the “Offer”).
    In order to avail of the Offer, your smartphone must be registered. A link will subsequently be sent to you by text with details of how to activate your Spotify account online with Spotify
    Customers have until 31 January 2014 to activate their Spotify account online. The three months free subscription will commence from the date of Spotify activation. If you do not activate your Spotify account by that date then you will not be able to av

Is your phone properly registered online and what does it say when you visit https://offers.vodafone.com/ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Can anyone recommend a decent case for this phone,seem to be very few available in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Zardoz wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent case for this phone,seem to be very few available in general.

There are a few on vodafone.ie, haven't noticed them anywhere else.

200 cherrypoints if you're with vodafone.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    There are a few on vodafone.ie, haven't noticed them anywhere else.

200 cherrypoints if you're with vodafone.

There was one mentioned a few pages back, got on ebay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

The following terms and conditions of the Credit with all pay as you go phones (the Offer) are in addition to and form part of the terms and conditions of the Vodafone Ireland Limited's ("Vodafone's") mobile telecommunications service which are available on www.vodafone.ie. In the event of any conflict the terms and conditions below shall prevail.
    1.The offer is available to existing Vodafone pay as you go Customers (Customers) who upgrade their mobile handset through a Bonus Pack (Upgrade Customers) and new Customers who either (i) purchase a new mobile handset during the Offer Period, or (ii) join Vodafone from another network operator, or (iii) purchase a new mobile number from Vodafone (New Customer).
    2.To avail of the Offer, eligible New Customers must activate their account by inserting the relevant SIM card into their mobile handset and then dialing 1741 (Account Activation) and register their details either online through the www.vodafone.ie website, or in store, during the Offer Period.
    3.New Customers will receive a €0.50 credit to their account upon Account Activation irrespective of whether that New Customer then completes Registration or not.
    4.To avail of the Offer, eligible Upgrading Customers must activate their account by registering their upgraded phone IMEI either online through the www.vodafone.ie website, or in store, during the Offer Period.
    5.Upgrading customers will receive their first stage credit once they top up by €20 or more within 30 days of registration or updating their IMEI details.
    6.The minimum €20 or more Top Up must be completed in a single transaction, i.e. two Top-Ups of €10 will not suffice. IOU Buddy credit does not count as a Top Up.
    7.The amount of credit received will depend on the call credit offer that is valid on the date that Account Activation is completed.
    8.The Offer is limited to one per customer, and is linked to the registered mobile phone number. If a subscriber phone number changes this offer may not be transferred to the new number.
    9.An IMEI number may not be registered more than once.
    10.The staged credit will only be applied to the customers account if the customer tops up with the required amount within the relevant 30 Day period i.e. before their next staged credit amount is due.
    11.If a Customer has not topped by at least €20 or more in a single transaction 2 days before their registration credit is due to be applied, they will receive a text message to remind them to top up to receive their credit.
    12.Customers who do not top-up with the minimum Top-Up amount prior to their staged credit renewal date will forfeit the staged credit for that particular month.
    13.The preloaded credit provided on the new SIM will still be available to customers.
    14.Availing of this offer does not automatically exclude a Customer from obtaining other Vodafone offers.
    15.Customers upgrading their phone but wishing to retain their mobile number will not be eligible for the Offer if they upgrade within 30 days of their previous purchase/upgrade.
    16.Vodafone reserves the right to modify these terms and conditions or discontinue this Offer (or any part of it) for valid commercial technical or operational reasons, without prior notice being issued to the Customer.
    17.Except as expressly provided in these terms and conditions, all conditions, terms, warranties and representations whether express or implied by law in relation to the provision of the Offer are excluded to the fullest extent permitted by the applicable law.
    18.Switching offer (with phone) : The offer period is from May 22, 2009 until January 14 2013. (the “Offer Period”). All customers must register to avail of this up to €120 credit offer. Customers who have ported off the Vodafone network within the previous 90 days shall be ineligible for this credit.
    19.Sim only switching offer is available from 24th May 2012 until 30th June 2012. All customers must register to avail of up to €240 credit offer. Customers who have ported off the Vodafone network within the previous 90 days shall be ineligible for this credit.
    20.SIM only offer: The offer period is until January 14 2013. (the “Offer Period”). All customers must register to avail of this up to €50 credit offer.
    21.From 15th January 2013 until such time as this term and condition is removed from the website (the “offer period”), all pay as you go customers who connect, upgrade or switch to the Vodafone network (excluding Sim only connections) shall be entitled to avail of a €5 credit offer. Customers must register within 60 days of connecting/upgrading and top up by €20 or more in one transaction within 30 days of registering or updating their IMEI details to avail of €5 credit. €5 credit will be applied within 30 days of registration, once top up conditions are met. All other terms listed above in relation to registration credit are still applicable.
    22.From April 19 2013 until such time as this term and condition is removed from the website (the "offer period"), all pay as you go Sim only connections shall be entitled to avail of a €10 credit offer. Customers must register within 60 days of connecting to avail of €10 credit. €10 credit will be applied upon registration. All other terms listed above in relation to registration credit are still applicable.
    23.From May 28 2013 until July 31 2013, all new pay as you go smartphone connections and upgrades shall be entitled to avail of a €20 credit offer. Customers must register within 60 days of connecting to avail of the €20 credit. €20 credit will be applied upon registration. All other terms listed above in relation to registration credit are still applicable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭loopymum

Anyone know if it has MHL? I have googled and it's not clear.

I have a MHL cable but it's not great, sometimes it works with my HTC one and sometimes not so it's difficult to check for sure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

There was one mentioned a few pages back, got on ebay.

I got this one, perfect fit, came in about a week...

loopymum wrote: »
    Anyone know if it has MHL? I have googled and it's not clear.

I have a MHL cable but it's not great, sometimes it works with my HTC one and sometimes not so it's difficult to check for sure.

Don't think it does, can't find any mt6575 device that has it working either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭loopymum

moodrater wrote: »
    Don't think it does, can't find any mt6575 device that has it working either.

Thanks, kinda thought that but it's a pity, would be handy

loopymum wrote: »
    Thanks, kinda thought that but it's a pity, would be handy

The €25 galaxy fame that was in carphone warehouse last friday had mhl, they said it was the last day but may be worth checking.

slave1 wrote: »
    I got this one, perfect fit, came in about a week...

Thanks
    Is that a flip cover or a pouch ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Zardoz wrote: »
    Thanks
    Is that a flip cover or a pouch ?

Flip, hard plastic mould which the phone slips into and magnetic close flip of the cover, perfect access to all buttons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭slavedave

I purchased one of those cases from the same Ebay seller and am very satisfied with it (or at least my wife is).

slave1 wrote: »
    Flip, hard plastic mould which the phone slips into and magnetic close flip of the cover, perfect access to all buttons

Perfect so ,I prefer a flip case .Will order now,thanks

I have been using this phone the last few days and I'm very impressed with it.
    I was previously using a Samsung Galaxy S but the battery life on the Smart 3 is far superior ,I am getting over 2 days on a charge ,the Galaxy S on Cyanogenmod 10 lasted less than a day.

I have one sitting here doing nothing that I'm giving to my dad, 9d 16h 32m 38s on battery still on 60% battery. Unbelieveable.

I checked most of this thread to see if it was the right one,

I wonder if anyone has this problem above with the Vodafone Smart 3 smartphone as i got my mum & brother the phone last year.

But it only seems to appear on my mum's phone, she can't even text as it appears often & has to click ok on it to get it off the screen even when it rings also.

Dunno whether to try the Vodafone/Tesco forum as she's with Tesco, i went into the VF store in L'kenny, just to see if i could get advice even though it's on Tesco network, he would only go as far to say, it needs an update through the settings but to no avail, it still pops upfrown.png

Any help would be great, as it's driving her nuts!

Btw: Is this also Vodafone 875/975 Smart, as i could have sworn i saw it in other places here, afaik it was for protective covers, as it was confusing both confused.png

http://imgur.com/8VGF8WG

I searched for a similar problem & came up with this thread

What's the worst case scenario & has anyone come up with this problem?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

I wonder if anyone has this problem above with the Vodafone Smart 3 smartphone as i got my mum & brother the phone last year.

But it only seems to appear on my mum's phone, she can't even text as it appears often & has to click ok on it to get it off the screen even when it rings also.

Dunno whether to try the Vodafone/Tesco forum as she's with Tesco, i went into the VF store in L'kenny, just to see if i could get advice even though it's on Tesco network, he would only go as far to say, it needs an update through the settings but to no avail, it still pops upfrown.png

Btw: Is this also Vodafone 875/975 Smart, as i could have sworn i saw it in other places here, afaik it was for protective covers, as it was confusing both confused.png

Thanks.

My first advice would be to buy the poor woman a new phone. Making someone use this as a daily device is some special kind of torture.

Otherwise, you can try:

- Make sure all play store apps are up to date.
    - Go to settings > apps and clear data/cache for any google apps.
    - Failing this, full factory reset through settings > backup and reset. Clearly, this will wipe the phone, so make sure you back up whatever she wants to keep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Unfortunately, Google Search has stopped

My wifes one was always running out of storage, then you end up with one google apk updating to a new version and another on an older version. Also as you neared full storage it got all sorts of errors as apps couldn't store data or cache. Make sure all the google related service are updated, then use something like 360 security to safely clear junk files this will clear unneccesary caches etc. If you're still having issue clear cache and data on the google apps, you'll need to readd the account. It might be worth installing google now as this might override the old search widget also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

My wifes one was always running out of storage, then you end up with one google apk updating to a new version and another on an older version. Also as you neared full storage it got all sorts of errors as apps couldn't store data or cache. Make sure all the google related service are updated, then use something like 360 security to safely clear junk files this will clear unneccesary caches etc. If you're still having issue clear cache and data on the google apps, you'll need to readd the account. It might be worth installing google now as this might override the old search widget also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Thanks.

Is that running the original software? Looks like a custom rom?

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Basil3 wrote: »
    My first advice would be to buy the poor woman a new phone. Making someone use this as a daily device is some special kind of torture.

Otherwise, you can try:

- Make sure all play store apps are up to date.
    - Go to settings > apps and clear data/cache for any google apps.
    - Failing this, full factory reset through settings > backup and reset. Clearly, this will wipe the phone, so make sure you back up whatever she wants to keep.

She actually likes the phone, until this happened & was a lot better than the last one. No need to check play store as she doesn't use apps or has a Google account on phone, she just used it for phoning & texting.

I was looking at Full Factory reset through settings, i assumed like other/older phones, it all backs up to memory card?

But as i'm new to this, it says Back up app data, Wi-Fi passwords etc to Google servers.
    This is the thing now, is that she can't access the wi-fi to enter the code as that Google dialog box comes up every 10s & you have to click OK to get rid of it.

She has about 2.5GB Storage & only less than 300MB used on it, but like above can't access internet to d/load google
    FrostyJim wrote: »
    Is that running the original software? Looks like a custom rom?

I wouldn't really know to check if it is?

• Advertisement

She actually likes the phone, until this happened & was a lot better than the last one. No need to check play store as she doesn't use apps or has a Google account on phone, she just used it for phoning & texting.

I was looking at Full Factory reset through settings, i assumed like other/older phones, it all backs up to memory card?

But as i'm new to this, it says Back up app data, Wi-Fi passwords etc to Google servers.
    This is the thing now, is that she can't access the wi-fi to enter the code as that Google dialog box comes up every 10s & you have to click OK to get rid of it.

She has about 2.5GB Storage & only less than 300MB used on it, but like above can't access internet to d/load google

Did you try my second point? Go to settings > apps > all apps and clear data/cache for Google or Google search. You should also try disabling or removing it as well. 99% sure this will solve the problem.

I know you can use android phones without a Google account, but sometimes doing so can lead to more issues than not. Even most of your backup options for when you reset will require a Google account to work. Also, if she wants to back up text messages, you'd require an app from the app store......which requires a Google account.

Did you buy it secondhand? If not then its not because you would know if you flashed a custom rom on it or not.

If you go to the app drawer - settings - about phone. What does it say under

Model number
    Android version
    Build number

Did you buy it secondhand? If not then its not because you would know if you flashed a custom rom on it or not.

Model number
    Android version
    Build number

What makes you think it's a custom rom from the screenshot? It's just a really old phone running a really old version of Android. My screens would look like that.

What makes you think it's a custom rom from the screenshot? It's just a really old phone running a really old version of Android. My screens would look like that.

Were you able to get battery percentage in the status bar like that in JB? Just thought it may be cm.

Edit:it seems I was wrong, you could have percentage on stock ICS and jb so you can ignore my comments about custom roms.

Did you try my second point? Go to settings > apps > all apps and clear data/cache for Google or Google search. You should also try disabling or removing it as well. 99% sure this will solve the problem.

At first i didn't check there, as i thought the way it was typed above, it was in the settings of the Google Play Store, as she doesn't use it,
    But it was only until i was looking around in Apps > All apps (there was a lot pre-loaded & 1st time checking it) & saw Google & clicked into it & saw Force Stop/Disable, so i clicked on Force Stop & then saw clear data below it further & hoped for the best!

It worked 100%:p & was able to input the wifi code for her with ease, although wasn't too sure what Force Stop actually does, as i didn't want to disable Google search as maybe she want to use it at some time?
    I tried the search & seemed to work ok, as i thought it stopped it alltogether?
    I know you can use android phones without a Google account, but sometimes doing so can lead to more issues than not. Even most of your backup options for when you reset will require a Google account to work. Also, if she wants to back up text messages, you'd require an app from the app store......which requires a Google account.
    I didn't know that, til now, i just assumed like the old phones it was stored on memory card, so what can be stored on the card, if by using the google acc for the rest? Its true what they say there's an app for everything :p

Model number
    Android version
    Build number

It was bought new, when the price above was reduced

At first i didn't check there, as i thought the way it was typed above, it was in the settings of the Google Play Store, as she doesn't use it,
    But it was only until i was looking around in Apps > All apps (there was a lot pre-loaded & 1st time checking it) & saw Google & clicked into it & saw Force Stop/Disable, so i clicked on Force Stop & then saw clear data below it further & hoped for the best!

It worked 100%:p & was able to input the wifi code for her with ease, although wasn't too sure what Force Stop actually does, as i didn't want to disable Google search as maybe she want to use it at some time?
    I tried the search & seemed to work ok, as i thought it stopped it alltogether?

I didn't know that, til now, i just assumed like the old phones it was stored on memory card, so what can be stored on the card, if by using the google acc for the rest? Its true what they say there's an app for everything :p

Glad you got it sorted. Force stop just kills an app, but the app can restart. Disable will stop you from being able to use the app completely.

To me, the main benefits of having a Google account are that all of your contacts are backed up to Google (if you make them Google contacts), so you never lose a contact/phone number again. Also, Google have free unlimited photo backup with Google photos. I know the camera on that phone is terrible, but it's still a good thing to have.

Both these features require an Internet connection, however. If you don't use mobile data, then you need to be connecting to wifi fairly regularly for the backups to occur.

Advertisement