Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Hymer C46 from Germany to Ireland

Options
  • 20-06-2014 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi

I have just bought a 1995 Hymer C46 from Germany. I have used eBay for payment protection. I going over on Wednesday to collect and arranging paperwork before I go.

I have checked the old threads but all are several years old.

Would appreciate any advice or info links from others who have done this especially the paperwork I will need to legally drive through Germany, France, UK and Ireland. Haven't decided yet what route home I will take.

Also appreciated would be some info on insurance, both temp for trip home and permanent when here in Dublin.

Any idea how much VRT will cost. I notice from Revenue website that it is 13.3% of value. Is this total or is there an emission component as well?

Thanks again.

Brian

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

bharr wrote: »
    Hi

I have just bought a 1995 Hymer C46 from Germany. I have used eBay for payment protection. I going over on Wednesday to collect and arranging paperwork before I go.

I have checked the old threads but all are several years old.

Would appreciate any advice or info links from others who have done this especially the paperwork I will need to legally drive through Germany, France, UK and Ireland. Haven't decided yet what route home I will take.

Also appreciated would be some info on insurance, both temp for trip home and permanent when here in Dublin.

Any idea how much VRT will cost. I notice from Revenue website that it is 13.3% of value. Is this total or is there an emission component as well?

Thanks again.

Brian

13.3% of what they imagine its worth, emissions are irrelevant. They'll probably charge you something like 1500 - 2000 euro. No matter what they charge you appeal it an you'll get some money back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

Did this in 2006. ( old vrt applied then so +1 to Moodrater. Mine was zero vrt) No Idea what this may cost now.
    Insurance ( and road tax ) is by way of a temporary reg plate that you need to get made and fitted to the van when you buy it. Plate has an expiry date on it - they have a brown (
    orange?)panel on the left side rather than the usual EU blue. Cost depends on how much time you pay for. Paid about €190 for 14 days in 2006.
    Seller should be able to organise all of this for you.
    At home German (temporary ) reg and chassis no. Was all Dolmen needed to cover it until I got it registered here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Best of luck with it. How come you went abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

You cannot organise insurance from Ireland, cause the plates currently on the camper will not be the plates you will have when exporting. As mentioned by a poster above, you will buy insurance and tax at a local office (when I brought our van home, the insurance office was in a corner of a clothes shop!) and when the local motor tax authority issues you an export number, you return to this office and get this set of plates made. Then the road tax sticker is attached to your new plate. You remove the standard German plates, and fit the export plates. Stamped into the export plates will be the date you have paid tax and insurance until, and therefore must be out of Germany by. A choice of 14 or 28 days. You are insured and taxed till this date, so Mr Policeman can tell at a glance if you are legal or not.

Aidan, we bought ours near Hannover, German Ebay, and the trip home was part of the adventure!

Advertisement