Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

South Dublin Mechanic Required

Options
  • 16-09-2008 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hey guys, just bought a second hand car which I'm due to pick up during the week. I've run a cartell report on it and she looks clean (though the mileage is quite low). Told yer man I'd have to get a mechanic to give the car the once over first before I handed over any dough.

All I need now is a mechanic!! The car's in Rathgar and is a 01' Alfa 147 (save the alfa bashing, heard it all before!) with 45k miles on it.

So does any one have any mechanic recommendations? Also how much would I be expected to throw the mechanic, was thinking €100 or thereabouts?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

theres me,

one of the resident members making his keep by giving people peace of mind...

if required gimme a shout, im in the d4 side of south dublin so im not too far away either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

S.I.R wrote: »
    theres me,

if required gimme a shout, im in the d4 side of south dublin so im not too far away either.

Just wondering what this type of inspection involves from the perspective of any other mechanic??? I used to this until recently and am thinking of getting into doing just pre-purchase inspections. The only obstacle I see is equipment... I used to do this for regular customers of mine but it was limited by the equipment to hand if the car could not be put up on a lift on site...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Just wondering what this type of inspection involves from the perspective of any other mechanic??? I used to this until recently and am thinking of getting into doing just pre-purchase inspections. The only obstacle I see is equipment... I used to do this for regular customers of mine but it was limited by the equipment to hand if the car could not be put up on a lift on site...

Well, tbh, what do you think ?

haven said you used to do this you of all people should know that you use axle stands/bricks to get the car raised ( with one side parked on the path... axle stands alone will and DO fail )

a wire bush/screw driver to check for under body rust/repair with the assitance of a light...

then a cloth and gloves for checking the levels, " rubber necking " of moving parts and then just the usual test drive...

sounds simple enough but from my experiance... its your ear that plays the most important part... you can hear alot more then you see ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Son

And what if you miss something..... do they get there money back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

It doesn't look very professional though, bricks under a sill holding up a car, does it??? There are a lot of drivers of more modern "executive" cars that wouldn't let you do that. I used to ask for the car to be put up on a lift in the workshop, most places obliged, some didn't, I didn't lose sleep over it. I had a very handy mobile emissions bench that I could use for emissions that looked very impressive and also flagged expensive repair work such as a CAT or lambda sensor or excess oil consumption. I also used to bring my Bosch diagnostics laptop for checking for DTC's but in the end stopped doing that because it was a bit OTT, if there was a problem, you would hear it or a light would be on at the dash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

S.I.R wrote: »
    theres me,

Jaydubiya, do a search for S.I.R's other posts on the Motors forum. If you can make sense of 10% of them, then by all means give him a shout! :eek::eek::eek:

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement