Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road nostalgia

• 03-08-2006 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Irish Times, Frank McNally, 02.08.2006

When every town in Ireland is finally bypassed, I wonder if we'll suffer from road nostalgia the way Americans do. The latest example of the phenomenon is the new Pixar film Cars - which, among other things, is a loving tribute to Route 66, the "mother road" of Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath.

Route 66 once ran all the way from Chicago to the Pacific Ocean, or just short of the ocean (it stopped at a junction in Los Angeles). It ran the other way too, of course; but not in folk memory. The mother road was defined by its westward direction, heading towards California, freedom, and the open sea. Two-and-a-half thousand miles long, it was the US's tar-covered soul. And like all mothers, it was never fully appreciated until it was gone. Weakened by an endless series of bypasses, it finally breathed its last in Arizona, in 1984.

If Ireland has a mother road, I suppose it would have to be the N6, from Dublin to Galway. It's the road to the west, after all, and to the ocean. But driving what remains of it this week with a cousin from, of all places, Arizona, it was hard to feel nostalgic. In fact, having paid a whopping €2.50 motorway toll only a few miles before being spat back onto the national route at Kinnegad, behind a horse-box, most of the nostalgia I felt thereafter was for the M4.

Only Pixar could make the N6 look beautiful. And even the name-checking talents of the songwriter who wrote Route 66 ("Flagstaff, Arizona/ Don't forget Winona") would need a shotgun to force Kilbeggan, Moate, and Ballinasloe into the same verse. Above all, the road's official name refuses to lend itself to poetry. "N6" sounds as flat as the route itself, which just goes to show the importance of branding, even for transport arteries.

If Route 66 had been named Route 60, as originally planned, people would never have got their kicks on it, at least not in music. And the value of a catchy title is emphasised by the only Irish pop song I know named after an official route number.

The Saw Doctors may well have been suffering from road nostalgia when they wished they were on the N17. But if they'd been born on the N2, like some of us, they would have had to get over it without resorting to lyricism.

Tuam has an unusual prominence in the Irish road song. The classic of the genre is the Rocky Road to Dublin, which also starts out in the east Galway town. Its 19th-century author must have travelled close to the route of what became the N6, although of course he stopped in Mullingar, on what later became the N4, for the night. And while the journey has shortened in the intervening years, the Westmeath stop-over is in an experience I too can claim.

I accept it's not that unusual to have spent a night in Mullingar, but the point is I didn't mean to. In my years as a hitchhiker, it's the only place I ever got stuck. I'd been taking the Dublin-Galway road until, in a rash moment and years before the NRA had the same idea, I bypassed Kinnegad. It was a decision ahead of its time, as I found after standing on Mullingar's Athlone Road late into the night until a sympathetic local, unable to offer a lift, offered me a bed. I knew then what it was like to feel nostalgic for the mother road.

A rival claimant for that title is the Old Bog Road of the song. After all, as the author says, it's where "my mother died last spring-time", and although his girlfriend also dies in a subsequent verse, the mother retains star billing. Where Rocky Road hides the emigrant's nostalgia under a rollicking beat, TOBR lays the emotion on thicker than tarmac. But although it concerns a real place - in North Kildare, if I remember rightly - it's probably too marginal to be a national road song, in either sense of the term.

The road described in We're On the One Road has claims too. Even though it describes a state of mind rather than an actual route, its conclusion that we're on "the road to God knows where" expresses a reality experienced by thousands of people every day in Ireland. In most countries, accurate signposts are considered indispensable to road transport. But with our history of oppression, we are still instinctively reluctant to let such information as the whereabouts of the nearest town fall into the hands of strangers. When tourists complain about the absence of road signs, I always explain it's for security reasons.

But I'm getting off the N6 here, which is a mistake I've made before. So in conclusion, let me say that when I finally got past the horse-box, on the far side of Moate, I experienced just a flicker of advance regret for the N6 that will soon no longer be with us. Then again, even horses get nostalgic for the road sometimes. There hasn't been a race yet in Galway this week in which at least one of them didn't take the opportunity to romp home.

© The Irish Times

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

...If Ireland has a mother road, I suppose it would have to be the N6, from Dublin to Galway.

I object. I vote for the N7!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I can think of a small number of places on existing routes which are quite scenic and which might be missed. The N8 as it goes through those mountains and as you pass Cashel is an example. The long straight stretch from Mullingar to Longford (not being bypassed though?) where the road goes up and down... used to make my stomach bounce when I was a kid - we loved that bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The new road eg M7 Monasterevin/Kildare section goes through the most part of the land adjacent to the old road, So the scenery is still there but I think the old roads will always have character because it has the bumps, steeps, and bends and the towns to go thru on the journey. Which makes it appear that the landscape is more changeable and interesting. Motorways are wide straight roads for the most part. The fact that it's so boring you wouldn't even be looking at the countryside. The old road is like a ghost road now, not a car in sight for ages!!

As a kid or even now the novelty is going where you used to to think what was thw next town to go through en route to Dublin... Ironic and three years time it will not be like that all. Some towns just don't look the same since the bypasses or just appears to be so due to the lack of passing traffic.

We will never see a motorway in Ireland going through hills etc. just the best of greenfields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

mysterious wrote:
    As a kid or even now the novelty is going where you used to to think what was thw next town to go through en route to Dublin... Ironic and three years time it will not be like that all. Some towns just don't look the same since the bypasses or just appears to be so due to the lack of passing traffic.

As a Kid on the truck with my Dad, during Summer Holidays, I remember similar things. But as an adult, I remember long tail backs, fear and dread planning the journey and frequent use of secondary roads to avoid the hassle.

Nostalgia is a great thing. Im a big supporter. But it should be enjoyed and never used as an excuse to lament.

The mother road in Ireland in my opinion would be the short stretch of the N7 to Naas. Still there, all dressed up and raring to go. It was and still is the road from Dublin to Limerick, Kerry, Cork and Waterford. It brings you to an Ocean aswell.

Naas used to be the first point of divergence heading out and the last leg of the journey heading in. Funnily enough, it was the first town in Ireland to have chronic traffic congestion on a national primary route, long before the celtic tiger. I remember it well (another puff of the pipe) 1980 and the tailback started outside where I live now. Still does, but for very different reasons. Primarily, the car culture and a lack of localized public transport.

DerekP11 wrote:
    mysterious wrote:

As a Kid on the truck with my Dad, during Summer Holidays, I remember similar things. But as an adult, I remember long tail backs, fear and dread planning the journey and frequent use of secondary roads to avoid the hassle.

Nostalgia is a great thing. Im a big supporter. But it should be enjoyed and never used as an excuse to lament.

The mother road in Ireland in my opinion would be the short stretch of the N7 to Naas. Still there, all dressed up and raring to go. It was and still is the road from Dublin to Limerick, Kerry, Cork and Waterford. It brings you to an Ocean aswell.

Naas used to be the first point of divergence heading out and the last leg of the journey heading in. Funnily enough, it was the first town in Ireland to have chronic traffic congestion on a national primary route, long before the celtic tiger. I remember it well (another puff of the pipe) 1980 and the tailback started outside where I live now. Still does, but for very different reasons. Primarily, the car culture and a lack of localized public transport.

I agree.

Amazingly Rathcoole used to be a town to go through for the N7 until it was bypassed correct me if I'm wrong. I don't remember Naas, but I remember Newbridge vaguely when it was bad there. Even Kildare was exciting at times when sitting in 5 mile tailbacks along the curragh.

And just for the "craic" would anyone know the house on the left just before the Railway bridge on the old N7 before Kildare town, that had sea shells covered in it, I remember it as a kid going to and from Dub, obviously when there were tailbacks you could put this into the nostaglia..:o :D I'm sure it just a trival detail, but things like this are all history..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The N7 is the daddy of Irish roads no question. Well I do have a question - when can the N bit be dropped? :(

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

mike65 wrote:
    The N7 is the daddy of Irish roads no question. Well I do have a question - when can the N bit be dropped? :(

Mike.
    when they make a motorway the whole way from limerick city to portlaois and considering they've only planned a dual carriageway it will probably never be dropped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

mike65 wrote:

Mike.
    It looks like when a section of 'old' N road gets superseded by a motorway/dual carriageway/other bypass, it becomes an 'R' road, complete with 80kph speed limit.
    The old N7 from Naas to Portlaoise, for example, appears to be the R445 now.
    The Red Cow/Newlands bit still appears to be called the N7, but it then disappears until you get off the M7 south of Portlaoise, when it reappears.

On the 'old routes' nostalgia thing, does anyone else remember when all the Dublin/Cork/Limerick traffic used to go through Main Street in Portlaoise?
    I don't mean that new-fangled 'inner bypass' thing, James Fintan Lalor Avenue (the road with the blue pedestrian bridge), but the actual main street up the centre of town.
    I was walking down it the other day, and I mentioned to my younger companion that "all the traffic used to come through here, you know". He's still picking up his jaw off the ground at the very notion. :rolleyes:

Rovi wrote:
    It looks like when a section of 'old' N road gets superseded by a motorway/dual carriageway/other bypass, it becomes an 'R' road, complete with 80kph speed limit.
    The Red Cow/Newlands bit still appears to be called the N7, but it then disappears until you get off the M7 south of Portlaoise, when it reappears.

On the 'old routes' nostalgia thing, does anyone else remember when all the Dublin/Cork/Limerick traffic used to go through Main Street in Portlaoise?
    I don't mean that new-fangled 'inner bypass' thing, James Fintan Lalor Avenue (the road with the blue pedestrian bridge), but the actual main street up the centre of town.
    I was walking down it the other day, and I mentioned to my younger companion that "all the traffic used to come through here, you know". He's still picking up his jaw off the ground at the very notion. :rolleyes:

It was one of the first ever planned inner relief roads in Ireland I believe,i.e fintan Lawler avenue, correct me if I'm wrong. But I don't think Cork traffic was routed to Portlaois before the new road, as it would of being in the early 80s I think when N8 the N8 didn't exist.

T6 (the old cork road)used to go via Clonmel along the existing N24 which didn't exist as the waterford to Limerick road at the time. The T6 continued along Callan and Kilkenny en route to Naas.

I was walking down it the other day, and I mentioned to my younger companion that "all the traffic used to come through here, you know". He's still picking up his jaw off the ground at the very notion

Yes I do! Speaking of such madness I'm in Glanmire every week on business and its staggering to think the main Cork Dublin road was the 25 foot wide strip that runs though that village (as was nearly a proper town these days).

Mike.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:
    Yes I do! Speaking of such madness I'm in Glanmire every week on business and its staggering to think the main Cork Dublin road was the 25 foot wide strip that runs though that village (as was nearly a proper town these days).

Mike.

true, even before that, I think the old road was further in along r634? or something just before Rathcormac etc and that road runs between N20 and N8 today. I'm not a hundred percent sure but the old road defeniaty ran further west than the Glanmire. Now I'm talking about 25 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Did the N8 not depart at Abbeyleix, through Ballyroan and join the N7 north of Portlaoise for a time in the late 80s???

Danno wrote:
    Did the N8 not depart at Abbeyleix, through Ballyroan and join the N7 north of Portlaoise for a time in the late 80s???

As far as I know this road was just locally known as the Portlaoise to Cashel road, however in the late 80s I think it was already known as the new Cork road.

mysterious wrote:
    It was one of the first ever planned inner relief roads in Ireland I believe,i.e fintan Lawler avenue, correct me if I'm wrong. But I don't think Cork traffic was routed to Portlaois before the new road, as it would of being in the early 80s I think when N8 the N8 didn't exist.

T6 (the old cork road)used to go via Clonmel along the existing N24 which didn't exist as the waterford to Limerick road at the time. The T6 continued along Callan and Kilkenny en route to Naas.
    *Rovi rummages in old map collection*

The oldest map I have conveniently to hand is dated 1976, and it certainly shows the N8 as we know and love it now, running from Portlaoise to Cork.
    However, it also shows the older 'T' (for Trunk road) numbers, and as you say mysterious, the T6 runs from Naas, through Kilcullen, Athy, Castlecomer, Kilkenny, Callen, and Clonmel, and then follows the route of the current N8 through Cahir, Michelstown, and Fermoy to Cork.
    Apologies for that, I was sure that all the traffic used to come through Portlaoise before the 'inner-bypass'. :o

In case anyone's interested, the T5 was the Dublin-Limerick road before it got renamed the N7.

Danno wrote:
    Not that I can remember, but I've been wrong before.
    *looks around for mysterious*

That road was (and still is) used as a diversion for Dublin/Cork traffic if the Portlaoise/Abbeyleix section of the N8 needs to be closed for some reason. Perhaps you're remembering one of those instances?

Rovi wrote:
    Not that I can remember, but I've been wrong before.
    *looks around for mysterious*

That road was (and still is) used as a diversion for Dublin/Cork traffic if the Portlaoise/Abbeyleix section of the N8 needs to be closed for some reason. Perhaps you're remembering one of those instances?

Back in the day it wasn't.

T6 was the route.:)

and what instance would that be?

mysterious wrote:
    DerekP11 wrote:
    mysterious wrote:

I agree.

Amazingly Rathcoole used to be a town to go through for the N7 until it was bypassed correct me if I'm wrong. I don't remember Naas, but I remember Newbridge vaguely when it was bad there. Even Kildare was exciting at times when sitting in 5 mile tailbacks along the curragh.

And just for the "craic" would anyone know the house on the left just before the Railway bridge on the old N7 before Kildare town, that had sea shells covered in it, I remember it as a kid going to and from Dub, obviously when there were tailbacks you could put this into the nostaglia..:o :D I'm sure it just a trival detail, but things like this are all history..

Rathcoole was bypassed when the original dual carraigeway was built. But in the 80s traffic lights where installed at the intersection that is now a flyover. Similar lights were put in at Kill and then Johnstown. Hence the future problems. Im old enough to remember no traffic lights on the N7 from Naas to the Boot road (Clondalkin). Oh yeah, they were innocent days.

I do indeed remember the house covered in sea shells. Thats going back a really long time. I remember it from the 70s/80s. Maybe there much longer after that. But you're right Mysterious, it is kind of funny remembering these things. A particular memory was the "well" in the grounds of a hotel along the N6. Still there, but soon to be removed from view of through traffic as the improvements gather momentum. (it fascinated me as a kid) I could do this all night. But I have to stop myself lamenting and start remembering these things as just memories that I can pass on.

But, what the heck, anyone else got a memory or two from our soon to disappear (and good riddance) national primary routes on the 6,7 or 8?

DerekP11 wrote:
    mysterious wrote:
    DerekP11 wrote:

Rathcoole was bypassed when the original dual carraigeway was built. But in the 80s traffic lights where installed at the intersection that is now a flyover. Similar lights were put in at Kill and then Johnstown. Hence the future problems. Im old enough to remember no traffic lights on the N7 from Naas to the Boot road (Clondalkin). Oh yeah, they were innocent days.

I do indeed remember the house covered in sea shells. Thats going back a really long time. I remember it from the 70s/80s. Maybe there much longer after that. But you're right Mysterious, it is kind of funny remembering these things. A particular memory was the "well" in the grounds of a hotel along the N6. Still there, but soon to be removed from view of through traffic as the improvements gather momentum. (it fascinated me as a kid) I could do this all night. But I have to stop myself lamenting and start remembering these things as just memories that I can pass on.

But, what the heck, anyone else got a memory or two from our soon to disappear (and good riddance) national primary routes on the 6,7 or 8?

There is a local road along the N7 at Dunkerin it goes parrellel to the N7 for a good few miles and crosses the N7 over and back. It's barely wide enough for two cars to pass since the ditches and earth has filled the edges. But I was told this was the old Dublin Limerick road in the 60s:eek:

N6 used to go by Athenry Ballinasloe and it was called T4. Now it goes by Loughrea.

mysterious wrote:
    Back in the day it wasn't.

T6 was the route.:)

and what instance would that be?
    I'm talking about since the N8 came into existence as the Dublin/Cork route. The Abbeyleix-Ballyroan road continues on to Stradbally, but a secondary road branches off it north of Ballyroan which used to link to the then N7, and still routes to the M7 via the R425.
    These roads are still used (in part or in full) as a diversionary route for Dublin/Cork traffic if the N8 between Portlaoise and Abbeyleix need to be closed for some reason.
    It was in use only a few weeks ago when there was a major traffic incident on the main road. Dublin-Cork traffic was sent straight on down the M7 to Mountrath and Borris-in-Ossory and turned across to Durrow, and Cork-Dublin traffic was diverted on the north side of Abbeyleix to the M7 via Ballyroan.
    I was suggesting that perhaps Danno was remembering one of these diversions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

I have nostaligia for small items along the roads. The was (still is?) a house in Clonard (N4) that sold 'Brown Bread' from a shed in the front garden. Something from the pre-Celtic Tiger days when money was scarce & people did what they could to make a few bob. Similarly the apple/strawberry/potato sellers on the sides on the main N roads, while still in existence, could well be confined to the past as we open up new motorways.

As a kid I used to spend what seems like a long time cooped up in the car en-route to Belfast or Limerick (from Dublin, 1 parent from each of those cities), and certain landmarks along the road would mark a point where I knew I was nearly at journey's end. Heading south on the N1 there was a bend where suddenly Dublin Airport was visible & I knew we were nearly home. Passing the radio mast at Lisnagarvey, where the A1 joins the M1 outside Belfast meant we were almost there. In the early 1980's that journey usually took 3 1/2 hours!

But I'm not in the least bit nostalgic for the bottlenecks of Balbriggan, Drogheda, Newbridge, Kildare or the other places where we'd get stuck. Last monday it too me an hour to get from Athlone to Kinnegad, but only 30 minutes from Kinnegad to the M50. The 200kms from Galway to Dublin shouldn't take more than 2 hours, I'm glad we're getting closer to that kind of journey time.

I too remember the 'shell house' on the N7, Portlaoise before the 'inner' by-pass & Swords before the original N1 dual carriageway was built. Swords was really bad, and that was more than 20 years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Have to say I won't miss going through any of these places.Imagine Naas now if it hadn't been bypassed- the traffic would never move!

I remember the old N9 from Kilcullen-Naas, the dump outside Kilcullen was always a landmark!This was before the Kilcullen bypass in 1994.

Cashel as well, the rock of Cashel, you had a great view off the old N8.

There are so many other places to be bypassed/in the process of being bypassed, will be talking for years to come about more 'road nostalgia'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

With a parent from both Kerry and Lisburn, and a million relatives in Wicklow, I remember trips from Dpk to Kerry and Wicklow, and Wicklow to Kerry. Although I travelled the N1 many times, and remember everything opening bar the Swords bypass and Drogheda inner relief road (definitely before my day). Irelands main route is clearly the N7 to Portlaoise. Every time I went through portlaosie it seemed to be raining if i remember correctly and we always stopped at a restaurant on the road which went south to cork. What I liked about the N8 was the number of decent sized towns you had to go through, and the last bit at glanmire when you went down past that river, then suddenly emerged at the N25 junction, pre tunnel. Fantastic. In contrast the part of the limerick road after portlaoise is a bit boring.
    Of course in those days you could never have envisaged the economic conditions for building a motorway standard road to cork and limerick (and waterford/galway/clogh/mullingar/kells/ashbourne and especially the M1), so you just lied back and enjoyed the trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Rovi wrote:

I remember it well. My father grew up there (main street on the Limerick side just before the bridge) and we used to stop there and see my grandparents (RIP) on the way up and down Killarney (my mother's place) 3 or 4 times a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

If Ireland has a mother road, I suppose it would have to be the N6, from Dublin to Galway.

© The Irish Times

No chance it has got to be the N5 - and we don't need to be nostalgic because it remains pretty much the same as it ever was - although changes are happening, we await for the ribbon cutting on most sections.

Rovi wrote:
    I'm talking about since the N8 came into existence as the Dublin/Cork route. The Abbeyleix-Ballyroan road continues on to Stradbally, but a secondary road branches off it north of Ballyroan which used to link to the then N7, and still routes to the M7 via the R425.
    These roads are still used (in part or in full) as a diversionary route for Dublin/Cork traffic if the N8 between Portlaoise and Abbeyleix need to be closed for some reason.
    It was in use only a few weeks ago when there was a major traffic incident on the main road. Dublin-Cork traffic was sent straight on down the M7 to Mountrath and Borris-in-Ossory and turned across to Durrow, and Cork-Dublin traffic was diverted on the north side of Abbeyleix to the M7 via Ballyroan.
    I was suggesting that perhaps Danno was remembering one of these diversions.

Look dude, we are not talking about diversion routes, we are talking about nostaglia....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Who remembers Mother Hubbard's on the N4 before it got all "modern" .... i.e. when it was just a caravan with a few plastic chairs .... and only truckers dared stop there.:)

westtip wrote:
    No chance it has got to be the N5 - and we don't need to be nostalgic because it remains pretty much the same as it ever was - although changes are happening, we await for the ribbon cutting on most sections.

Erm no. it's not Castlebar to Westport was not officially or routed signed N5 even as little far back as late 80s. Secondly the N5 didn't exist.

N6 is pretty much the same tho, the old N5 used to be the N60 I think that runs in a simular direction to the N5 and meets Castlebar/claremorris roads, when T routes were changed to N numbers the N60 was degraded and the N5 took it's classification. I can't remember what the trunk road was called.

N7 is the mother road, no question about it. the N7 existed along with most sections of the Waterford route and were dated back till 17th century. These routes were all horse and cart. The Cork route was soon built along Callan athy to Cahir onwards to Cork on the original N8 route today

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

mysterious wrote:
    Erm no. it's not Castlebar to Westport was not officially or routed signed N5 even as little far back as late 80s.

Or even late -1990s. Signs on the N4 Lucan Road were rather recently (last three or four years) patched with "Westport" over "Castlebar". Its' very obviously done, just like when the NRA decided to semi-abolish superdestinations (control cities) and patched over "The West" with "Sligo" (never mind that to most people its' the Galway Road).

Can't remember what Castlebar to Westport used to be. It was a National Secondary number, I think N55 but can't be sure.

Did someone mention the old N8 approach to Cork? Through Glanmire, bending along the river and then bang, the Junction with the old N25. I remember this well. My dad used to go to a depot in the industrial estate behind Little Island train station. Turn left at junction of old N8/N25 right off the N25? Used to be a level crossing at Little Island station, now a bridge.

I remember, getting out of the truck at this point and sitting in the little waiting shelter on the Platform at Little Island, because my dad wasn't meant to carry passengers in the truck, so I couldn't be seen. I'd sit there and wait and wait. I was only about 9, so that would have been about '80 or so. Christ, they were better days. You wouldn't do that now with your 9 year old child. When he brought a friend of his one year, we were dropped at a pub on the old N25, very near Little Island, on the left hand side as you head towards Midleton. Anyone know the name of it? Had some great Turkey and Ham there in the run up to a long since passed Christmas.

I'm probably boring the ****e out of people at this stage, but Ive a few more.
    Paddy's pub in Clonard with the tin roof on the N4? Had many a lemonade in there. It had one of these electronic maze/hoop thingies on the wall. Served "burgers" that were reheated in a plastic wrapper and tasted crap. I remember Mother Hubbards, first effort under the trees in a wagon. Just a mobile van serving grub. The outside seats and more solid looking building was a little later, but look at it now. The owner fought for years to buy the land and build something decent. He was apparently gay and in the ignorant 70s/80s it was a much discussed topic amongst so called macho truckers. Don't know if theres any substance to that one, but fair play to him, he built a little empire. It was just him in a van at the very beginning.

I was on the N2 for the first time in years (north of Ardee) this week to Castleblaney. Wow! Bendy roads gone. Carrickmacross bypassed and Castleblaney bypass under construction. Wish I could've gone to Monaghan.I remember 2 things about Monaghan town. Tommys chipper (still there in 96) and the Swan restaurant. It backed out onto the former outdoor swimming pool.

Obviously a lot of my memories are of eating places. But thats what it was like on a truck in the 70s/80s.

• Advertisement

Does many remember going through Newmarket on Fergus, I'm sure?

The infamous S bend was a nightmare, traffic on that road was horrendous, considering it was a bog road. The road passes the Clare inn and Dromoland, which has great views. To be honest I'm even forgetting New market on Fergus even exists. the Bus eireann fleet don't stop there anymore for some strange reason, unlike other routes such as the N8 and N7 where most buses still go through the towns that were bypassed.

Patrickswell in Limerick is almost forgotten aswell. This village used to be crazy in the summer. The bypass is opened a good few years btw, hard to imagine. funny I even nearly forgot about Croom, I haven't been through there since the bypass either, it was treacherous going through from what I can remember.

Callan is also another famous bypassed town, and it's old as far as I can remember back. Would anyone know why Callan got a bypass specially, I mean surely a secondary road didn't take that much traffic 10 15 years ago? was it because it took Cork Dublin traffic funneled through at the time?. I was on that road when I was very young. The Callan bypass must of being there a good few years.

I think of this generation, the most infamous town to go through would have being Kildare town, Christ the traffic was dreadful, especially during the holiday season. At one time tailbacks streched all the way from Monasterevin on a Bank holiday when we travelled the other direction thank god:eek:

mysterious wrote:
    Does many remember going through Newmarket on Fergus, I'm sure?

The infamous S bend was a nightmare, traffic on that road was horrendous, considering it was a bog road. The road passes the Clare inn and Dromoland, which has great views. To be honest I'm even forgetting New market on Fergus even exists. the Bus eireann fleet don't stop there anymore for some strange reason, unlike other routes such as the N8 and N7 where most buses still go through the towns that were bypassed.

Patrickswell in Limerick is almost forgotten aswell. This village used to be crazy in the summer. The bypass is opened a good few years btw, hard to imagine. funny I even nearly forgot about Croom, I haven't been through there since the bypass either, it was treacherous going through from what I can remember.

Callan is also another famous bypassed town, and it's old as far as I can remember back. Would anyone know why Callan got a bypass specially, I mean surely a secondary road didn't take that much traffic 10 15 years ago? was it because it took Cork Dublin traffic funneled through at the time?. I was on that road when I was very young. The Callan bypass must of being there a good few years.

I think of this generation, the most infamous town to go through would have being Kildare town, Christ the traffic was dreadful, especially during the holiday season. At one time tailbacks streched all the way from Monasterevin on a Bank holiday when we travelled the other direction thank god:eek:

Newmarket on Fergus.... Last time through it for me was September 2001, just before the bypass opened. Great ham and cheese sambo on batch in the garage on your left as you head towards Ennis! (Im sorry, but this is life on the road, which is why I understand the importance of railways so much.)

I was in Patrickswell last year and its become very "localized" since the bypass. You can now cross the road at a leisurely pace. It has gone back to its "village" ways since the bypass. Development here would be very beneficial.

Callan bypass is from the early 90s around the time the Kilkenny ring road was built. Its reason? In all fairness, I would suggest that it was a "political" thing.

As for Kildare town, its history now and the town itself has returned to the way I remember it back in the 80s. A few years ago, it was chronic, but I was lucky enough to know the "shortcut" around the traffic.

Lets remember that the current Inter Urban road schemes, whether we agree or disagree, give real living standards, back to the many communities bypassed, rather than "kill" the commercial/retail potential.

Naas, Newbridge, Kildare and Kilcullen are still booming, despite the doom and gloom predictions from retailers. They seemed to think that passing trade was important, but they forgot the important principle of giving the town back to the community and the community having an incentive to visit/socialize/shop in the town without 1000s of cars choking it up. Now all we have is a few hundred cars choking them up as locals drive, in this car culture/badly planned country of ours. But it could've been worse.

Im OT. But "nostalgia" takes many forms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

I mentioned the Glanmire section earlier on. Another great memory was the first time I went down the Banresmore Gap in Donegal. Fantastic.
    Another one was the first time we drove down from Castlebar to Westport and saw all the islands. Even better than Galway in my opinion.
    Another great one was driving from Cork to Waterford and seeing the bridge at Youghal. It reminded me of something you would see in France.
    Best if the lot in Ireland has to be driving down the Conor in Dingle along the back road and along the north of the peninsula.

One thing I wont miss is the Bray/Shankill section of the N11. I reckon it was probably even worse than Kildare, and remember it was bypassed long before the M& upgrades. Could you imagine it now without the M50 or M11?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

DerekP11 wrote:
    When he brought a friend of his one year, we were dropped at a pub on the old N25, very near Little Island, on the left hand side as you head towards Midleton. Anyone know the name of it? Had some great Turkey and Ham there in the run up to a long since passed Christmas.

Probobly the pub next to Fitzpatricks shop, or maybe The Island Gate or the truck stop next to The Island Gate :)

mysterious wrote:

Callan by-pass was vital as if you ever drove though it you'd know the pinch-point was a street not wide enough for two large vans, in an age of an ever greater number of heavy good vehicles its nothing political just practical. Dublin Cork traffic would be nowhere near Callan unless very lost.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Callan by-pass was vital as if you ever drove though it you'd know the pinch-point was a street not wide enough for two large vans, in an age of an ever greater number of heavy good vehicles its nothing political just practical. Dublin Cork traffic would be nowhere near Callan unless very lost.

Mike.

Agreed about the narrow street in Callan. But Thomastown on the busier N9 is still a narrow street problem on a route linking two cities. Thats why I suggested Callan was political. N9 should have been first. Its a national primary route and one of the worst in the country.

Barnesmore Gap is beautiful even with the road improvements. I remember you could see the route of the old Donegal narrow guage following the road.

As for the Conor Pass. No need for us to get nostalgic. It'll never change and always be stunning.

Took the old N6 out of Galway city a few weeks back. Lovely views out onto the bay. Hardly a car in sight. Oranmore has come on a fair bit in recent years too.

• Advertisement

Well Thomstown is a disgrace but I suspect the real reason it was'nt tackled
    was due to the topography (ie money), any by-pass has to bridge the river valley at some point unless the new road is well wide of the exisiting route which would be many miles of new road. Still the good news is that sometime between now and 2011-ish it will be gone.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

mike65 wrote:
    Well Thomstown is a disgrace but I suspect the real reason it was'nt tackled
    was due to the topography (ie money), any by-pass has to bridge the river valley at some point unless the new road is well wide of the exisiting route which would be many miles of new road. Still the good news is that sometime between now and 2011-ish it will be gone.

Mike.

No the reason was it was decided to upgrade the whole N9 to dc standard in 1999. Plans were well advanced for a two-lane bypass of Thomastown at the time.These plans were effectively binned when the new road was announced.
    It was hoped at the time the new road would open in 2006/7!!

Unfortunately its taken a lot longer than that to get the road to construction(for several reasons), with phase one advanced in Carlow and the next phase to start later in the year we're told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

Originally Posted by mfitzy
    It was hoped at the time the new road would open in 2006/7!!

we're close to '07. when this new road opens it will be a relief to us motorists.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

. When he brought a friend of his one year, we were dropped at a pub on the old N25, very near Little Island, on the left hand side as you head towards Midleton.

Definitely the Island Gate. Had Turkey there again this December, while along for a spin with one of the last loads of beet going to Mallow, reliving a youth misspent driving tractors. I used drive that road while going to college in the early 1990s, before the 'East Cork Parkway -ECP' (N25) was opened. Used take 75-80mins from Midleton to UCC. When the Tunnel and ECP opened that fell to just over 25mins. Now its back up again to similar times, I hear.

The narrow street in Callan is another one, got stuck there in August 1994 with a big square baler. Met a low loader. Not fun :eek:

A more recent one would be the narrow winding section of the N9 through Moone and Timolin, a road that doesn't look like it has changed much since the early 19th C. I had my one moment of fame on that road while they were finishing the Bolton Hill realignment. Lorraine Keane of AA Roadwatch referred to me as a "slow moving vehicle (Ford TW-15 actually love) holding up traffic on the N9". Firstly, the road looked clear, there was no traffic ahead of me anyways :D, and if she was going to talk about me the least she could have done was say hi!

Advertisement