Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[article] Cullen considers zero alcohol limit for young drivers

• 19-05-2006 8:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Cullen considers zero alcohol limit for young drivers
    Alison Healy, Irish Times, 19/05/2006

A zero alcohol limit for young drivers is being considered by Minister for Transport Martin Cullen.

"I think that's something that has worked in other countries," he said yesterday.

"I think it's a very good idea. I think it's one that I'd like to adopt here. I obviously have to talk with the Road Safety Authority and look at the legal implications of how we might do this."

He said this could form part of the "graduated" driver's licence system that he has spoken about. Motorists would have to work their way towards a "fully-qualified, all-singing, all-dancing licence".

Mr Cullen said countries such as Sweden and Australia operated such a system.

"The message would be that if you can get people into that habit. . .when they go on and get their full licence they don't go out and drink at all. It stays with them."

He said he was "very strongly" of the view that people should never drink and drive. "If you start out with bad habits you tend to keep those."

Mr Cullen said the Road Safety Authority was currently examining the driving licence system, and he would be asking it to look at the practicalities of introducing a zero alcohol limit for young drivers.

Mr Cullen was speaking as the European Conference of Transport Ministers closed in Dublin.

Transport ministers from 50 countries worldwide repeated their commitment to reducing road deaths by 50 per cent between 2000 and 2012.

"The increased mobility of people across Europe means we all must seek to improve our road safety standards," Mr Cullen said.

"We must continue to get our message across, especially to young male drivers. Excess speed and drink-driving are key causes of accidents on our roads."

An action plan designed to combat ageism by transport providers was launched yesterday.

Bus Éireann, Dublin Bus, Iarnród Éireann, Veolia Transport - which operates Luas - and the Rural Transport Initiative have signed up to the plan which includes staff training on age awareness.

Niall Crowley, Equality Authority chief executive, said he hoped other organisations would follow their lead and take on similar age-friendly initiatives.

© The Irish Times

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

I'd be in favour of reducing the alcohol limit but to stigmatise one group by applying it only to them is a political cop out. Not being either a provisional licence holder or a "young driver", I'd feel sorry for these groups. Anecdotally, I would say that the older generation of drivers are just as bad, maybe worse, for drink driving.

But which group are least likely to vote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,100 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

just get on with enforcing the existing limit Cullen, you muppet!

not only have I never been breathalysed, I've never even seen anyone being breathalysed. I strongly suspect many of the drivers smashing into ditches and lampposts in the middle of the night have had more than just half a shandy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

loyatemu wrote:
    just get on with enforcing the existing limit Cullen, you muppet!

not only have I never been breathalysed, I've never even seen anyone being breathalysed. I strongly suspect many of the drivers smashing into ditches and lampposts in the middle of the night have had more than just half a shandy.
    How about having us drop down to 0.50 mg/ml too like most of our EU neighbours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Irish solution to an Irish problem, bring in more laws. Just enforce the laws we have first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm all for zero-limits in theory. The only problems is that a Zero-limit would be breached by some medicines like some cough medications.

There should be a law for everyone - if you drink, don't drive. But there should be allowances for trace amounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,489 ✭✭✭✭Victor

SeanW wrote:
    I'm all for zero-limits in theory. The only problems is that a Zero-limit would be breached by some medicines like some cough medications.
    Realise that any impairment is bad for driving - alcohol, medication, recreational drugs, cigarette, fatigue, use of phone, watching baby ....
    There should be a law for everyone - if you drink, don't drive. But there should be allowances for trace amounts.
    I think the Swedish lower limit is 0.20.

Advertisement