Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hit and Run in town between a Taxi and horse drawn "chariot"

Options
  • 26-07-2008 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I witnessed a hit and run today between a single horse drawn chariot and a taxi, basically two guys riding one of these things at speed took a lump from the rear quarter panel of a Taxi and did a bunk without stopping. The guys must have been no more than 15 years old in control of this thing. I chased after them for about a mile down Dame St but kept my distance on a motorbike until the cops caught up with them. Is there any insurance or registration required for Chariots in Ireland? they could have easily injured or killed someone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Dunno about insurance, but I see a few going round my way on the northside. I also see the poor horses tied up eating grass. They look so thin and obviously don't get the proper care. IIRC they can get a thing called 'lamitus' (sp?) from eating too much grass.

Also what about those electric wheelchairs? no insurance, no tax, no NCT. I see a guy regulary go to the pub then 'drive' home on the roads! I know they don't go fast, but if a kid or animal runs out what comeback do they have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    Dunno about insurance, but I see a few going round my way on the northside. I also see the poor horses tied up eating grass. They look so thin and obviously don't get the proper care. IIRC they can get a thing called 'lamitus' (sp?) from eating too much grass.

Also what about those electric wheelchairs? no insurance, no tax, no NCT. I see a guy regulary go to the pub then 'drive' home on the roads! I know they don't go fast, but if a kid or animal runs out what comeback do they have?
    Those electric wheelchairs would do no more that 12mph, this thing to day was doing about 35MPh and was crashing traffic lights, it was like something from the wild west.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Still would do some damage if it hit an oul' wan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Would look good on worlds wildest police chases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Tails142

MODEDIT

Racist slur and derogatory remarks removed.

Don't post tripe like that again or you'll take a break from here

• Advertisement

Would look good on worlds wildest police chases
    Only that I was on a bike I would have had a nice scoop. was very funny to see a branch and paddyvan chase after them, It would be more of a scoop to watch the cops ride their chariot trying to hold down their hat at the same time.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Is there any insurance or registration required for Chariots in Ireland? they could have easily injured or killed someone.

Don't know about the legislation - (there is mention of control of horses in the RTA but not looking it up now).
    The insurance for a horse is not cheap however, I have a few friends with equine interests and the risk of a horse injuring / killing someone is expensive to cover.

SteveC wrote: »
    Don't know about the legislation - (there is mention of control of horses in the RTA but not looking it up now).
    The insurance for a horse is not cheap however, I have a few friends with equine interests and the risk of a horse injuring / killing someone is expensive to cover.
    They are lethal on the road and would be surprised that anyone would cover them. The slightest backfire from a passing motorbike can cause them to spook they are then impossible to control.
    A horse through your wind screen would kill you stone dead.

I heard that some of the jaunting carts along the green were required to take out third party cover after a few accidents. when they first set up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I heard that some of the jaunting carts along the green were required to take out third party cover after a few accidents. when they first set up.

I don't think insurance is a legal requirement - it should be.
    You could always sue the owner if you got injured but as any solicitor will tell you, there's no point suing unless they have assets.

Advertisement