Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has a song ever brought you to tears

Options
  • 10-06-2008 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

Has there ever been a song that has brought on so much emotion for you that it would cause you to shed a tear?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Irlande douze pointes!!

OP, seriously, No ive never cried because of a song!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Anything by Celine Dion, just because it reminds me that she's still alive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

Dance with my father by Luther Vandross. My mum sang it at my Grandads funeral. Everytime I hear it I cry my eyes out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Hard to admit it but first time I heard Sinead O Connor singing She moves through the fair in the Michael Collins film, a tear dripped out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

EF wrote: »
    Hard to admit it but first time I heard Sinead O Connor singing She moves through the fair in the Michael Collins film, a tear dripped out

Whats the song Sinead O'Connor sings at the end of the Veronica Guerin movie?? Thats a lovely song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

When I was school a girl in my class' dad died and they played 'Everybody Hurts' and 'The Long Goodbye' at the funeral. I'll admit I did well up a bit.

More so a combination of the songs and the event rather than the songs themselves though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

weezer's - pinkerton.

for several reasons but mainly because it shows me how bad they've gotten over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

dustins eurovision song - i cry with anger when i hear it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

Yup defo dustins eurovision entry...

No wait that was p*ss that leaked out not a tear!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Mike and the Mechanics ~ The Living Years and Luthor Vandross ~ Dance with my Father both do. My Dad has had two heart attacks in the last couple of years and although he has survived both it just makes you think I suppose. Him and my Mum are together 45 years and only just in their 60's so I can't imagine them not having each other..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Come on Eileen. Pure cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

'And the Band played waltzing matilda'. Originally this song was written by an Australian folk singer called Eric Bogle, I'm more familiar with the Ronnie Drew/Dubliners version. It doesn't necessarily make me cry but it really makes me think.

towards the end of the song he describes a march of war veterans years after they return from a battle:

"I see my old comrades, all tired stiff and worn,
    Those weary old troops of a forgotten war,
    And the young children ask 'What are they marching for?',
    And I ask myself the same question"

Its an anti-war song with none of the hippie bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Anything by Celine Dion, just because it reminds me that she's still alive.
    Songs are recorded in studios Almighty Cushion. When you hear them on the radio they aren't singing them live there and then. She may be dead. keep the faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

How 'bout "Old Shep" by Elvis ? A real tear-jerker if ever there was one. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

As much as I hate to admit it, yes, there have been quite a few occasions when songs have brought a tear to my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

quite a few songs have actually, when in emotional form that is:

evanscene: my immortal
    Sarah McLoughlin Angels
    Scheer : Goodbye
    Monica: street symphany

just a few to have a good cry to.. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own by U2.

The song was released as a single around the time my own father passed away so I could really relate to it. The album was out a few months at the time and I had been listening to it a fair bit anyway, but it was also being played off the radio.

It’s a great song and each time I hear it, it reminds me of my Dad.

And 'Old Shep', of course, particularly DelBoy's version:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I had a terribly bad headache once and then they started playing some Emo song on the radio, it was very painfull, forced me to cry!

BTW, that did happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

colourblind - counting crows

It's just so beautiful, dammit!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Pighead wrote: »
    Songs are recorded in studios Almighty Cushion. When you hear them on the radio they aren't singing them live there and then. She may be dead. keep the faith.
    A man can dream, pighead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

Martha by Tom Waits, not full on tears but definitely the most emotion a song has ever brought about in me. On first listen especially.

Also, Same Old Lang Syne and Leader Of The Band both by Dan Fogelberg. I first heard both songs during a fairly rough patch and even though they are so far apart in meaning, I now have the two leafed in together with that particular period in my life and so they'll always do the trick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

No, I'm a cold emotionless bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Dunno if it qualifies, but the title piece from "Cinema Paradiso" had me blubbering on a few occasions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Starmix

Oh Holy Night by Nat King Cole - not so much for the lyrics, but the music & voice - its quite powerful

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭cannonball

ZakAttak wrote: »
    'And the Band played waltzing matilda'. Originally this song was written by an Australian folk singer called Eric Bogle, I'm more familiar with the Ronnie Drew/Dubliners version. It doesn't necessarily make me cry but it really makes me think.

towards the end of the song he describes a march of war veterans years after they return from a battle:

"I see my old comrades, all tired stiff and worn,
    Those weary old troops of a forgotten war,
    And the young children ask 'What are they marching for?',
    And I ask myself the same question"

Its an anti-war song with none of the hippie bullsh1t.

The Pogues do a fantastic version of this and it made me all emotional the other day.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Sherifu wrote: »
    Come on Eileen. Pure cheese.

This is a great song. Go listen to more dexys.

You in that dress, my thoughts i confess, verge on dirty...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I've never cried, but there are songs that make me a bit, um, emotional!
    I Will Follow You Into The Dark - Amanda Palmer (DFC cover)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QN2biyjzlE

The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - The Band
    "Like my father before me, I'm a working man
    And like my brother before me, I took a rebel stand
    Oh, he was just 18, proud and brave
    But a yankee laid him in his grave
    I swear by the blood below my feet
    You can't raise a Cane back up when he's in defeat"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

I can think of two songs off the top of my head. Theres probably alot more if I thought about it. Isn't that what good music is meant to do - stir up your emotions

Johnny Cash - Hurt
    Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 angrylearner

bruce springsteen independence day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Stella89

'Everybody hurts' by REM
    'Girls just want to have fun' Cyndi lauper.....not sure why though:o:confused:

Advertisement