Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derrie-Air

• 09-06-2008 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Okay - this site is a joke, but I've always wondered what would happen if an airline started charging by the lb! The more you weigh, the more you'd pay!

Would you fly?

http://flyderrie-air.com/#mission

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ryanair charge €15 per kilo of overweight baggage, I can't see any harm in charging more for overweight passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

wish they would, i remember some fat swine beside me fly to texas. fecker should have been charged for 3 seats.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Rb wrote: »
    Ryanair charge €15 per kilo of overweight baggage, I can't see any harm in charging more for overweight passengers.
    I wouldn't be shocked if O'Leary had thought about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'm a big bugger so no. I'm happy with standard prices :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Seems sensible. I got charged for being 2 kilos overweight in baggage just recently(fair enough) and the woman behind me didn't and she weighed damn near twice me by the look of her. We're not talking curvy here, she was medically obese. Mid 20 stone kinda thing.

While it does smack of sizeism and I'm not comfortable with isms I wouldn't get my knickers in a bunch if there was a choice at least. Weigh people and their luggage to take away any embarrassment.

As it is AFAIK very fat people aren't allowed sit beside emergency exits as they would be a danger in the event of an evacuation. Very weak people the same as they would not be able to open the door. We're all "discriminated" against to one degree or ether one way or another.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

In the days of the wild west, when waggon trains were shipping the first settlers west.
    There was a hard and fast rule that if your arse was wider than a certain measurement, you didn't get to sit in the waggon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

If they choose not to discriminate against overweight people, then thin people should be allowed bring more luggage :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I think we need a brainiac Fat vs Thin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Sherifu wrote: »
    I think we need a brainiac Fat vs Thin.

+1

:D Fascists!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

makes sense to charge fatties more in a perfectly logical world. it takes more fuel to get them from A to B. thats why there are no chubby astronauts or F1 drivers. weight makes a difference.

but if i was told to pay a surcharge id be píssed. im about 80kg which id imagine puts me heavier than average

mawk wrote: »
    thats why there are no chubby astronauts or F1 drivers. weight makes a difference.

Just have a mental image of a 150Kg jockey trying to win the grand national... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

mawk wrote: »
    makes sense to charge fatties more in a perfectly logical world. it takes more fuel to get them from A to B. thats why there are no chubby astronauts or F1 drivers. weight makes a difference.

but if i was told to pay a surcharge id be píssed. im about 80kg which id imagine puts me heavier than average
    Would you prefer to pay a surcharge, or have your baggage weight allowance reduced?

I think the idea of allowing a certain weight for the total of baggage and passenger is a good idea, and would balance things quite well without being offensive.

However, would that mean that people would be bringing their anorexic friends/relatives over to the states with them to do the Christmas shopping?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Cheap flight! Got my vote. (I'm just over 8 stone)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

heheh:D Good thread!

If it were a tenner a stone to fly, it'd be a good incentive to lose weight for a holiday!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Haha!

*Jacinta!! We're not going to bleedin lanzaroteee until you stop eatin' those bleedin crisps!!!'

Advertisement