Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thanking machines

Options
  • 09-06-2008 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

I fell into silent convulsions on Saturday night while standing at the ATM where I overheard the girl ahead of me muttering "thanks" to the machine as she took her money. it's not the first time I have seen such strange behaviour, a while ago while working in an off-licence I had one customer who would always thank the cigarette machine when he got his fags.

Ok, fair enough, I know some people can have manners beaten into them, I know I was, but I don't thank inanimate objects. I mean wtf!

has anyone else seen this, or does anyone else do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

I've never seen anyone thank a machine but there's an old woman on my road who leaves a thank you letter to the bin men every friday morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Seonad

Oh:(
    I thought this thread was going to be about machines that thanked you..."How nice", I thought:rolleyes:

No real experience of it, unless you count my friend who tripped over a dog on the street and then apologised to it:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

that's fair enough. I never tried it, but I can't imagine being a bin man as being a walk in the park

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well, I've know to swear at them so I guess the odd "thanks" might balance my karma again :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You just wait until that ATM becomes sentient and won't give you your money without you saying please.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Seonad wrote: »
    Oh:(
    I thought this thread was going to be about machines that thanked you..."How nice", I thought:rolleyes:

So did I :(

When that woman goes to an ATM that doesn't have 10's or 20's in it, I can guarantee she thanking the bloody thing!!She'll be saying something else entirely, so she will...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Well the machines thank us for using them, so surely there can be no harm in us thanking them for providing us with a useful service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I've had to stop myself from thanking the ATM out loud a few times. I don't care though, I'd rather be known to have too good manners (if possible) than to be known for a lack of manners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

hold on... theres not a little person behind the screen who hands out money when you press the buttons? fvck, there goes my life ambition.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'd view it as strange if I saw it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

i have yet to show any appreciation to an ATM, but i have thanked people when i've thought they were about to hold a door and then they haven't. And i've thanked people just as i thought they were about to get out of my way and they haven't!

Guess i'm just an optimist :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

If my mind is elsewhere i sometimes mumble "thanks" to an ATM.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I thought this thread was going to be about machines that thanked you..."How nice", I thought
    So did I

Thirded.

OP don't you dare come back here until you've invented some sort of automated thanking device. Time is money!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Well I thought this thread was going to be about a computer dedicated to thanking every post made on boards. Sadly not though, it is about strange people who thank machines. I curse at them at times though, that is far more rational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

No real experience of it, unless you count my friend who tripped over a dog on the street and then apologised to it:p

heh, lollers!

yep ive said thanks a couple of times to atms, then walked away after realising, finding my face getting red, and cursing loudly to myself while laughing
    :eek:

Ive also knocked on a door on my way OUT of an interview with nervousness!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭stink_fist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

flanum wrote: »

lol, i've done this myself... can't say i've ever thanked a bank machine tho, i've seen drunk people thanking cigarette machines on the odd occasion!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Sometimes I thank people for things i did for them. Its a habit from working in a shop for to long. Say if someone asked me for directions and I gave them and they said thanks ill say thanks too, it makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ah yes, the old LOL in work moment...thank you :pac:

I've thanked vending machines on occasion..luckily no one around to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

Pen1987 wrote: »
    hold on... theres not a little person behind the screen who hands out money when you press the buttons? fvck, there goes my life ambition.

IT IS A JOB! :eek:

I've seen it in japan!... teeheehee

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'm more likely to shout "F*CK YOU ATM!!!!" at it.

irlmarc wrote: »
    Sometimes I thank people for things i did for them. Its a habit from working in a shop for to long. Say if someone asked me for directions and I gave them and they said thanks ill say thanks too, it makes no sense.

I have a habit of doing that aswell :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Years ago, an elderly neighbour was in our kitchen, and he was wondering what the weather would be like for the next week as he was planing to cut the hay.
    I called Weatherdial, and handed him the phone.
    He proceeded to have a conversation with the recorded message, which was quite long, as it was the long range farming forecast.
    My brother and I had great difficulty containing our growing hysteria as he solemnly intoned "yes", "right", "okay", etc, finishing with a polite "thank you, you've been very helpful" at the end.
    We had to write the number down for him, so that he could call it from home in future; we often wondered if he ever figured out he wasn't talking to a live human. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

We will all be minding our p's and q's when the machines rise up against us and become our evil overlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

How can you thank a machine?

I've thanked ATMs on many occasions. I've also thanked the machines that print out train/bus tickets.

Laugh now, but I'd rather be on their good side when machines take over.

I've thanked ATMs on many occasions. I've also thanked the machines that print out train/bus tickets.

Laugh now, but I'd rather be on their good side when machines take over.

if films have taught me anything it's that the suck ups to machines are the first to die. the ones how ignore them are the ones who live for longer and get the bitches

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

flanum wrote: »

Head between my knees LOL there! :)

Did you get the job?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I'm going to thank every machine from this moment on, now that I think of it, they do a great job (most of the time).

I believe it will be a great way to encourage them not to break down or run out of 10s.

Ooh, my phone just rang - "Thank you working Mr. Phone"

Advertisement