Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anybody else live in unconventional house?

Options
  • 08-06-2008 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭

after a year or so of readin boardsies stuff, im half coming to the conclusion that im the only one that doesnt live in a conventional "house"!
    i live in a converted byre (old stone built calving shed, about 200 yrs old), i dont have a siitng room/kitchen etc.. just one big huge room downstairs and a balcony bedroom up a wee stairs. i kind of take it for granted all the time, its a bit of a hunting/fishing style of lodge these days, when my friends call round they always go on about it, i cant actually imagine being in a "normal" 2 up 2 down kind of place anymore.

ill try to take a few pics of de gaff and stick them onto this thread to make a bit of sense of it over the next few days.

so any other boardsies living in an unconventiol abode?

*awaits living in yorema/other less funny responses*

Comments

Who owned the byre before you and what is your relationship with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Im renting the gaff from the guy that owns the cottage in front of it (this is in the heart of a wee village in cavan/ballyhaise). Apparently the guy that used to own the cottage(and the byre) was "gutsy", there is no mystery or anything, the lad died, the place was put up for sale, new lad bought the place, done them up, and im rentin the back place! it just happens to be the most unusual place ive ever been in. i dont even have a letter box.. the hassle i have trying to explain my address to officialdom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

flanum wrote: »
    after a year or so of readin boardsies stuff, im half coming to the conclusion that im the only one that doesnt live in a conventional "house"!
    i live in a converted byre
    So let me get this straight, you're only now realising that everyone else doesn't live in a byre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

davyjose wrote: »
    So let me get this straight, you're only now realising that everyone else doesn't live in a byre?

davyjose -:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

The house I'm renting has a kitchen, two bathrooms, five bedrooms and a sitting room. Nice n normal... to look at. Living in it is a f*ck!ng disaster however. A ...ahem.. "girl".. that I live with has got to be the filthiest, dirtiest creature EVER!!! Her and her boyfriend are vile, I know it's harsh but it's actually true! I went away for a few days (and of course this meant I wasn't there to clean up after them) and when I came back our kitchen was 'infested' in flies. Every single cup, plate, saucepan, knife, fork etc.. was used and dirty. The mould on everything was not only turning black but there was random fluffy sh!t everywhere.

Anyhoooo we've all had a ripping row (part of it being that the undomesticated little animal left four razors in the bath without any caps on them, one of which was clearly used to tidying up lady business!!) *shudders!!!

Ewww..........

So my house looks conventional.... but it's not :mad:

SAVE ME :(

*rant over.... that felt good!

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »

no, after 21 years of living around ireland and a few continents, finally deciding to settle back in my home county, after spending time in a few gaffs around town (cavan..not dublin) i settled into this place.!

im just asking the question, does anybody else ........ oh ffs read the title!!!!!

ya know,, some people live in barges/boats some people live in castles... im just wondering if there are any more boardsies in a less than conventional house!? .... that is all!

how can i put it? i have stained glass windows, flagstone floors,stone walls, i have to close every window whenever i go out cos the swallows fly in and try to nest in the walls at any given chance, im always having to chase birds back outside, i have half-doors, mice are very regular welcome visitors (if you have mice, you dont have rats, mice are easy to trap, ill try to post pics up soon.. its not that mad but its .....unconventional!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

how can i put it? i have stained glass windows, flagstone floors,stone walls, i have to close every window whenever i go out cos the swallows fly in and try to nest in the walls at any given chance, im always having to chase birds back outside, i have half-doors, mice are very regular welcome visitors (if you have mice, you dont have rats, mice are easy to trap, ill try to post pics up soon.. its not that mad but its .....unconventional!!
    So had the fresians the auld broadband in, or was that only a recent addition?

good wan, but i have to say since i moved i here, ive slept like feckin great lump of beef! best sleeps ive ever had in any gaff! moooooooooo!

posted via the milking machine

Umm I am around a long time.....I have yet to see stained or otherwise glass windows in a byre.

How goeseth the walking?

• Advertisement

eh did i not say "CONVERTED" cattle byre? did you not see that?? do you actually think im living ina byre alongside cattlet?? do you want me to send you a link as to where i said it was "CONVERTED"? . Converted means altered from its origianal state!

i live in a converted byre (old stone built calving shed, about 200 yrs old

i had to quote myself for moonbaby!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i live within a few walls with a roof that was built on a couple of garages.

no central heating, insulation, double glazed windows.

not sharing any walls with anyone else, though our neighbours use the garages under us (****ing noisy doors at ****ing early hours in the mornings >:( )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I can't sleep in a town/city environment at all. The townies may complain about the country smell of silage a few days of the year but the city smell of exhaust fumes and vomit all year round annoy me more.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,056 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

no, after 21 years of living around ireland and a few continents, finally deciding to settle back in my home county, after spending time in a few gaffs around town (cavan..not dublin) i settled into this place.!

im just asking the question, does anybody else ........ oh ffs read the title!!!!!

ya know,, some people live in barges/boats some people live in castles... im just wondering if there are any more boardsies in a less than conventional house!? .... that is all!

I thought you were only about 16!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Wasn't there a thread about this before...?

Edit: Apologies - I knew I had heard of some bloke who loved his "byre" somewhere before.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55379760&postcount=38

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

i live in a converted byre (old stone built calving shed, about 200 yrs old), i dont have a siitng room/kitchen etc.. just one big huge room downstairs and a balcony bedroom up a wee stairs. i kind of take it for granted all the time, its a bit of a hunting/fishing style of lodge these days, when my friends call round they always go on about it, i cant actually imagine being in a "normal" 2 up 2 down kind of place anymore.

ill try to take a few pics of de gaff and stick them onto this thread to make a bit of sense of it over the next few days.

so any other boardsies living in an unconventiol abode?

Tbh, I think thats pretty cool. I hate being forced to conform to the 'modern' boxy-like shite that I'm in. Not my taste at all, but spent silly money trying to dull down the new build look.

The idea of open living appeals to me big-time. I love cooking, and would love the intimacy of being able to keep up with all that is going on if there are some friends over.

Kudos to you, I say!

^^
    hey abi, i go down to the river most evenings and caych me supper (wild bownies on the dry fly) its alright, but jaysus i get domeshtymicated problems ya dont get in normal boxes like.. should i let that bird nest in me sittin room and ****e all over the shop or should i be a prick and not let him in? "no blacks no dogs no irish and no swallows"? poor wee fecker flew from africas!

*is abi legal age?? goes off to invent a pigeon pie in her honour*

^^
    should i let that bird nest in me sittin room and ****e all over the shop or should i be a prick and not let him in?
    Fuck 'em! Pop-guns to surround the house ftw.
    goes off to invent a pigeon pie in her honour*

Mmm pie! :pac:

Id be seriously chilled somewhere like that. Why I'd have the house smelling of warm apple pie and cinnamon within the hour of moving in. Pinny on, with wearing nothing else.. nobody but a few squirels goin' blind on the sill... I can move in, cant I?

...No!.. no.. dont say anything! Im there.. Im there...

heh!:) must throw a few pics of de gaff 2moro after work onto this thread, hey babes move over in the kitchen, im not so bad meself! have ya ever fished or hunted?;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Fair play to you for living somewhere funky to say the least.

I don't hate it but I can't say i love it either that every single fecking house being the same, all with similar layouts. I also, don't like where the effort is on having a normal house full of little jewels of vases, mantlepiece monuments, because the owners are trying to conform to society. It's nice to have a nice house, but it's even nicer to have one that you can fit into comfortably and not be worrying about bending cutlery or breaking expensive china.

My house is an absoloute craphole to the outside world. When I was younger, my friends used to comment regularly(in their innocence) about how my room wasn't too tidy. That was until they realised, that I was the one enjoying myself while they spend hours every weekend cleaning their houses. My house is conventional in a lot of ways, different in other ways, and spacious. The one thing I'd change though is that I'd put on a door on my room. Havent got around to that yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

have ya ever fished or hunted?;);)
    Yes.
    Did I ever catch anything? No.

Do you get your food regularly doing that?

heh!:) must throw a few pics of de gaff 2moro after work onto this thread, hey babes move over in the kitchen, im not so bad meself! have ya ever fished or hunted?;);)

:eek: A cooking man! Quick, delete your posts and take it to PM! :pac:

Feck off beeatches!

Never fished or hunted :( Since I've been able to stand I've been up on a horse mind you. Id say there is some great places up that way to go.

/packs suitcase

:D

eh did i not say "CONVERTED" cattle byre? did you not see that?? do you actually think im living ina byre alongside cattlet?? do you want me to send you a link as to where i said it was "CONVERTED"? . Converted means altered from its origianal state!

Are you sure it wasn't a house that some one converted in a Byre?

I've seen that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I'd like something like this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Although I'm actually physically located in Ireland, I'm still living back in that foxhole in nam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Sherifu wrote: »
    a castle how posh love:p
    dont like them haunted id guess woooooooooooo!
    i live in 32' fifth wheel home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

I live in a castle*

* this may not be true

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sherifu wrote: »

Saw a program about that place - amazing.
    The guy built the house, and lived in it, inside a huge haystack for 3 years to hide it from neighbours.
    Mad.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Advertisement