Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horrible names

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I find 'Ann' boring as hell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

Dympna and Regina

Tadhg and Nigel

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

The Al Lad wrote: »
    Terry, for a man - shocking

I predict someone taking issue with this very shortly......

My name originates from the volume control on the large hi-fi I was conceived on and I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Caveat

Maximilian wrote: »
    My name originates from the volume control on the large hi-fi I was conceived on and I like it.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

me into thinking it's less awful.

BOY:
    I know a man with the name Ronnie Pius Mary - thought it was funny given all three of these names have been mentioned as completely awful.
    Homer
    Cormac
    Gary
    Edward (even though one of my friends is called Ed, I still think this name is horrible)
    Juan - I know it's a Spanish name but it hurts my throat to say it
    Tomás
    Victor
    Tod
    Oisin
    Oscar
    Finbar

Oh well fck u!:D

I understand the dislike for Irish names but some are worse than others!

Strange, some of the names mentioned in here I quite like? At the start someone even said Abigail?? WTF is wrong with that name:confused:

I think most peoples likes and dislike for names stems from a person that they know whos called that and whether they like or dislike them. By that logic I'm calling my kids Heather and Graham:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm glad that in all the Irish name slagging, my name (Maeve) hasn't been mentioned. I think it's pretty awful, it sounds so... round.

Names I hate:

GIRL
    Doireann (pronounced Dirin - reminds me of intestines for some reason)

Catriona - not sure why
    I like the first one.
    I know a girl who gave that name to her daughter.
    The second one I dislike, but that's most likely due to the nutball ex of the same name.

i have a cousin called kevin, married to kelly, children are kelsie, kira and kayleigh. it's a bit obsessive.
    My neighbour is named Joe and all his kids names begin with "J". I think it's funny.

I'd like to add American 'I'm gonna be on a Jerry springer type show when I grow up' type names:
    laTanya
    LaBarbara
    LaMentalist.
    Pretty much any name that's meant to sound French and/ or posh, but just means that you will end up pregnant at 15 and not know who the father is.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Linoge wrote: »
    I think most peoples likes and dislike for names stems from a person that they know whos called that and whether they like or dislike them. By that logic I'm calling my kids Heather and Graham:)

I don't think stuff you like makes for great logic for naming kids either, unless you think "Girlfriend's Abortion" is a fetching name.

Apologies in advance - I'll get my coat now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

Slow coach wrote: »
    Ah, such ignorance. It's pronounced Ay-nee-as, and it's a fine, if unusual, name. My next door neighbour was an Aeneas.

I also worked with a Camillus, a Patrick Mary, an Ignatius and a Cornelius. I dunno why people have problems with these names. :confused:

Terrence can also be spelt Terence (mine) or Terrance. It's a great name. :D

I beg to differ on the ignorance jibe: I think he just spelled it incorrectly. I'd wager Aonas is the Irish name he was looking for and yes, it is pronounced "Anus" ('cos I know one)
    I went to school with an Irish guy (bred, born and starved) called Ksawery pronounced Saveery. He also had a standard surname which made it sound ridiculous.

Terry wrote: »
    I like the first one.
    I know a girl who gave that name to her daughter.
    The second one I dislike, but that's most likely due to the nutball ex of the same name.

My neighbour is named Joe and all his kids names begin with "J". I think it's funny.

I'd like to add American 'I'm gonna be on a Jerry springer type show when I grow up' type names:
    laTanya
    LaBarbara
    LaMentalist.
    Pretty much any name that's meant to sound French and/ or posh, but just means that you will end up pregnant at 15 and not know who the father is.

You seem to have missed it. I refer your attention to Post #161.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

Ignatious(sp?) what a terrible name
    Finbarr
    Mary
    Agyness
    Carmel
    Oliver
    George

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭mucker23

imagine being called

gay (like gay burn),
    Fanny (girls have actually being called fanny)
    Aonghus ( not sure but irish name that sounds like a word for an ass)

Maximilian wrote: »
    You seem to have missed it. I refer your attention to Post #161.
    I saw it. I just didn't feel it deserved my attention.

All that popcorn will now go to waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭yaynay

So glad nobody has mentioned my name... yet! The other half is consistantly telling me how much she hates it (at least I think she's talking about my name :confused:!).

I hate the name Eja (spelling?) pronounced Asia. I also dislike Ava, especially when said with an inner city accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Pandora.......
    One of my sisters old school friends was called pandora... WTF were the parents thinking!!?? I mean it leaves her wide open (pardon the pun) for slagging!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Linoge wrote: »
    I understand the dislike for Irish names but some are worse than others!

Fair play to to you. I don't. This is Ireland; one would expect Irish names, so why dislike them? I'm totally baffled by (presumably) Irish people disliking Irish names.
    I beg to differ on the ignorance jibe: I think he just spelled it incorrectly. I'd wager Aonas is the Irish name he was looking for and yes, it is pronounced "Anus" ('cos I know one)

It wasn't a jibe. Either he misspelled it or he mispronounced it. Either way it's ignorance. It's not meant as a jibe; it's just a simple statement of fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Fair play to to you. I don't. This is Ireland; one would expect Irish names, so why dislike them? I'm totally baffled by (presumably) Irish people disliking Irish names..

You can expect and dislike at the same time. I like the majority of Irish names, but some are quite sharp sounding and don't roll nicely off the tongue etc. Some are hard foreigners to pronounce, much harder again to spell (Meadhbh for example).

For me, the names I don't like are the ones that are too much in your face, irish dancing, gael scoil going, ta se tu se's like Fiachra and Oisin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

All those nun names mentioned already. Along with the terrible sounding Irish names: Fiachra, Oisin, Grainne, Gobnait.

I also hate all those trendy names that are showing up: Ella and Jack being the worst contenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Fergal=ewwwwwww. Why?

I like many Irish names, but some are just rank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Zoe
    Cloe (too lazy to find the accent thingy on my keyboard)
    Chantelle/Chantal
    Britney/Brittany/Britni (and all other forms of that name)
    Lorcan (and any other name that ever occured on my super sweet 16)

• Advertisement

Fair play to to you. I don't. This is Ireland; one would expect Irish names, so why dislike them? I'm totally baffled by (presumably) Irish people disliking Irish names.
    An awful lot of it comes down to people trying to sound cool by disliking anything Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Terry wrote: »
    An awful lot of it comes down to people trying to sound cool by disliking anything Irish.

I agree with you fully, there. My own kids have Irish names (very difficult for Irish to pronounce, let alone furriners), do Irish dancing and attend Gaelscoileanna. Nobody ever says to your face that they dislike your kids' names, except the wife's sister (who called her kids Jason and Sarah :D).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I'm glad that in all the Irish name slagging, my name (Maeve) hasn't been mentioned. I think it's pretty awful, it sounds so... round.

Quite wrong there Maeve, it's a fcukin' gorgeous name. PM me your number baby - you could never be a munter with a name like Maeve... :D

My friend's mother is a primary school teacher, and she was telling us about an African boy in her class named Destiny, with sisters called Blessing, Charity, Faith, and... Mary.

(vomits)

embee wrote: »
    Chloe - worst name ever. I know I'm more than likely offending a parent out there, but it is disgusting and as common as muck now.

Lovely name until it became common as muck...

I hate all these stupid names for boys like Corey and Jayden... total chav names.

Corey? :eek: Jayden? :eek: Dear Lord, NOOOOOOO!!!!!

goslie wrote: »
    HERMOINE....worst name ever! How do you even pronounce it?

I'd concentrate on learning to spell it first if I were you: H-E-R-M-I-O-N-E

galah wrote: »
    Cloe (too lazy to find the accent thingy on my keyboard)

Too lazy to find the "H" too, by the looks of it... :rolleyes:

I agree with you fully, there. My own kids have Irish names (very difficult for Irish to pronounce, let alone furriners), do Irish dancing and attend Gaelscoileanna. Nobody ever says to your face that they dislike your kids' names, except the wife's sister (who called her kids Jason and Sarah :D).
    Dude. I can't believe you have your kids doing all that Irish crap. That's loike soooo not cool.
    Actually, I find it quite impressive and wish more Irish people would do the same.
    My own kids will all have names beginning with the letter "G". The initials of my surname are O'D.

Anyway, someone mentioned the name "Maedbh" earlier.
    I remember seeing some cartoon (American made, I believe) about vampires or some such crap.
    It was set in Ireland hundreds of years ago and queen Maedbh was a central character (or maybe it was just that episode). They pronounced it MAB.
    Quite obvious that the writer just looked for some old Irish name, found queen Maedbh and had no idea how to pronounce it and didn't really give a crap that it was pronounced wrong.
    See several bastardisations of Irish names for reference to this phenomonon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Brandine,
    Cletus

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Brandine,
    Cletus
    Best names ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Bernadette
    Garbhan
    Marie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stratospheres

Tallulah

Gaylord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Diarmuid - because i worked with somebody who pronouced it Deeeeeeeeeeeer-muuuich when talking about their kid
    Reilly ..its a surname dammit!
    Chase ..wtf?!
    Topher..a gopher
    Reeny..don't try to be posh and pronounce it Renee
    Kimberly ...mikado and coconut cream
    Nikita .. you hear parents roaring Naaahkeeeeeeaaaaah!
    Jessica ...fletcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Bodhran, yes I heard the offending Mother call it out in Tesco last week, poor kid...

Randy is another awful name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stratospheres

Makes me think of Peter Griffin saying "Raaandy"

Rowena

Thats another awful one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

McSandwich wrote: »
    Bodhran, yes I heard the offending Mother call it out in Tesco last week, poor kid...

Randy is another awful name.

Are ya sure it wasn't Odhrán?

The names Chloe and Naomi have been destroyed by that weapon Twink and the infamous phone message she left for her ex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭McSandwich

Are ya sure it wasn't Odhrán?

Pretty sure, she shouted at him to "come here" enough times for others to take notice too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 roccabella

know a guy whose second name is Po (pronounced pee ooo) not sure how he spells it.

malaria (welsh girls name)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

I know a guy from kerry called Micilin. (Not sure how to spell it and have no clue how to make fadas!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭blackbox

My brother's wife wants to call their newborn son Zane. Thankfully my brother is putting the foot down!

He's wasting his time - if he get's his way with this one the next one will be called Zak or something equally insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

my neighbours have kids called kimberley, michelene and levi, when they were in primary school the other kids used to sing 'biscuits, tyres and levis jeans' to them.

i met a woman at an inservice a while back who had just had a new baby, did the usual polite enquires, boy or girl, etc , but when she told me the baby was called Rosco (a boy) it was a grit the teeth and go 'oh that's.... unusual'

...only askin for trouble...

oh ya and Caitlyn or any of the myriad of spellings of this name. is this not just Caitlín/Kathleen with all the fadas gone awol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

The Yanks have to out-do us all on the terrible names front....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bob_Duggar

17 kids - all names start with the letter J :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Some Irish names are nice, some are awful. I love Sorcha, Roisin and Aisling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Dudess wrote: »
    Some Irish names are nice, some are awful. I love Sorcha, Roisin and Aisling.

Sorcha FTW - not that I'm biased or anything :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭Endasaurus

Re the Hermione scandal - I always read it as Her My Own in my head until those wretched movies ruined it by pronouncing it as Her Mine Eeee which I dont like as much :( :mad:

Not that either are great at all hahahaha :D

I quite like Godfrey actually, I can imagine quite the reserved, wealthy little industrialist I plan to raise owning that name, as he later takes over Microsoft :eek:

Godfrey - a name that demands respect.

Fergal on the other hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭goodgodholmes

Sorcha FTW - not that I'm biased or anything :)

Maeve FTW... not that I'm biased either! I liked Ciara before everyone's name was Ciara. Not such a fan of Roisin or Sinead.

Awful name, went to tennis camp when I was a kid with 2 kids called Philomena and Clarabelle... i kid you not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

Maurice, Dymphna, Assumpta, Concepta...blahdy,blah...actually Maurice stands up well against the other abberations; Might consider taking Maurice out if only for it's useful comedy potential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Donegal Lass

Morag, Morgan, Seamus, Charlene, Christopher...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I'd hate to be called Jonaton, what a crap name.

• Advertisement

Nigel... i forgot that one.. ooh and Alesha!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I knew a lad called Nigel. He had red hair and red freckles...

bet he didnt have a soul...

FunkZ wrote: »
    I knew a lad called Nigel. He had red hair and red freckles...
    I know a Nigel.
    I'm making plans for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭K_P

I'd like to reiterate hatred for the name Gobnait. It sounds like somone choking, looks and sounds ugly and the only Gobnait I ever knew was a pretty odd character.

Also:
    Agatha
    Attracta
    Lourda
    Rosarie
    Concepta

Horrible auld wimminy names. Same goes for new-fangled skangery names. Having previoulsy worked in a local authority, I would while away my time looking up bizzarely named children on databases. Among the best were a family with three daughters called Porsche, Mercedes and Chanel. Saw a few Chardonnays, Shakiras and Beyonces too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement