Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Radio thread warning.

Options
  • 09-09-2014 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭

I recived a warning yesterday in a thread I think was totally unjust.
    In the Ray Darcy show thread I asked why a poster who only ever posts too pass critique on the show doesn't turn it off?

This question has been asked every few days by posters in one form or another I.e why don't you listen too podcasts? Why don't you stream music? Why don't you change station etc but yesterday I was yellow carded after saying it? How is it ok for some too say this but not me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Just noticed this is in arts... Should be in radio don't know how that happened sorry

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Hello MrMac - Have you discussed this with the Moderator who issued the warning before moving to the next step, as per the chart above?

Yup. When I questioned him on the points I raised above he replied "take it on the chin and move on" with out answering any of my points/questions

I'm on the touch site at the min so can't like too it I'm afraid.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Righteo. In that case, I had a look at the post in question.

Firstly, we can't use other people's posts as ammunition in cases.
    The fact the same (or similar) has been said by others doesn't make things OK, nor does it imply those posters haven't received their own warnings. If that isn't satisfactory, I'd ask you to report the posts you mentioned so that they can be reviewed by the Mod team.

Regarding your own post - It was off-topic via rib-digging a poster; not in an offensive way yet still the type of post that can easily sway a thread off-topic if people start taking it personal and butt-heads.

As a Moderator, I shouldn't have to tell you that such a thing generally doesn't fly in many (if any) forums on-site. "If you don't like it, don't listen" (and similar variations) are statements that gets tirelessly thrown out by many people in Radio, which is irksome as the Forum isn't there as a means to tell others what to do with their time, but to discuss Radio itself.

If you encounter people with views that clash, or get up your nose (but don't directly break any rules), then you'd be best off to use the ignore feature (or simply move to the next post) instead of telling them the above statement as it doesn't help anybody and hinders discussion or risks derailment if things get personal. Radio is open to both positive and negative views, thus posters are expected to accept this during discussion so long as the charter is upheld.

Ultimately, the warning is fair - Please try to refrain from telling others to 'just turn it off' in the future as it really doesn't help anybody nor contribute anything to the topic(s).

If you disagree, then you may appeal for an Admin review.

No I won't appeal too admin thank you for looking over this case , but as you mentioned I am a mod, but I try too be fair and not warn people for 1 thing and let someone else off for the exact same thing which is fundamental in moderation IMO! I know my post was only a problem as a user reported it, I do not report posts at times too see is the issue delt with... As for I don't know if people were warned about their posts, well in the past I've book marked questionable posts (in many different threads not just this) too refer too after a day,a week, a year and see if they revived the warning card I did but many did not.. Whilst I don't agree with the form of moderating OR your desision on the appeal I won't persue this any further

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement