Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are investigations too dependent on technology?

Options
  • 25-07-2014 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

Some have said that common sense, observation skills,and a notepad is really all you need! Are groups over reliant on hi-tech gear,hours too set up and hours to break down? Like watching the sky through binoculars and missing the fireball? JBG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

yes. too many people use equipment they dont understand. full spectrum cameras for example. plus too many groups dont actually look for anything anyway. its all about getting scared. not too many interested in actually researching anything. The hi tech gear is important though as thats the 'cool' factor to many. it doesnt matter if theres no actual reason to use that piece of equipment in paranormal research.

and dont even start me on 'ghost boxes'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I was with a team once who pulled out the ghost app on the iphone and started talking to it. As far as I could tell the ghost app would randomly generate words from a corpus and spit them out . I pointed this to the group who said "but how do you know something isnt controlling the random words" . Eugh.

I agree. There is a lot of equipment being used because it is seen on TV. Paranormal investigation can be no more than a subjective experience or at best a very loose definition of "scientific investigation".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Johnny Be Goode

An 'App' for ghosts. ... I've heard it all now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I'm inclined to agree that tech is overused on "investigations", and again I agree that it's more about being scared, although unfortunately it's difficult to sell a proper investigation to people. I would like to do what would be considered a more professional investigation (which takes a bit from my current security background) and see how that goes. In addition to the notepad/pencil, I'd probably include torches, glow sticks, watches and radios, although that said I might suggest a few cameras (photo and video) are brought along too, either, mainly for documentation purposes however. As for the rest of the gear, well a light source is needed, then with the watch, it'd be important for logging things (but they all need to be synced up to everyone else), especially if something happens in one part of the location... we can see if it's heard or whatever in another part. Radios, naturally would be for communications purposes as running around somewhere like say Charleville Castle at night trying to find people would be rather silly, and would interfere with things! The only other items I'd consider taking would be a thermometer and EMF meters, mainly to locate any fields being generated by things such as power lines. I would also consider some sort of sound recording/memo devices as well.

Granted, it's not very low tech, but the issue going with too low tech if you're trying to do an investigation is that you have very little in the way of hard data recorded, so a balance would need to be attained. Now granted, not everyone knows how to properly use an EMF meter (which is why it wouldn't be used for an investigation, at least unless it was absolutely required), but I'm hoping that people at least know how to use basic equipment. That said though, not everyone necessarily knows how to use cameras properly either, though the rest of the stuff would be easily used. I guess my approach would be low to mid tech, as I'm not relying on any flashy devices and such. Either way, I'd probably want to be properly trained before I use some of the more advanced devices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Johnny Be Goode

I'm inclined to agree that tech is overused on "investigations", and again I agree that it's more about being scared, although unfortunately it's difficult to sell a proper investigation to people. I would like to do what would be considered a more professional investigation (which takes a bit from my current security background) and see how that goes. In addition to the notepad/pencil, I'd probably include torches, glow sticks, watches and radios, although that said I might suggest a few cameras (photo and video) are brought along too, either, mainly for documentation purposes however. As for the rest of the gear, well a light source is needed, then with the watch, it'd be important for logging things (but they all need to be synced up to everyone else), especially if something happens in one part of the location... we can see if it's heard or whatever in another part. Radios, naturally would be for communications purposes as running around somewhere like say Charleville Castle at night trying to find people would be rather silly, and would interfere with things! The only other items I'd consider taking would be a thermometer and EMF meters, mainly to locate any fields being generated by things such as power lines. I would also consider some sort of sound recording/memo devices as well.

Granted, it's not very low tech, but the issue going with too low tech if you're trying to do an investigation is that you have very little in the way of hard data recorded, so a balance would need to be attained. Now granted, not everyone knows how to properly use an EMF meter (which is why it wouldn't be used for an investigation, at least unless it was absolutely required), but I'm hoping that people at least know how to use basic equipment. That said though, not everyone necessarily knows how to use cameras properly either, though the rest of the stuff would be easily used. I guess my approach would be low to mid tech, as I'm not relying on any flashy devices and such. Either way, I'd probably want to be properly trained before I use some of the more advanced devices.

Thanks for that, I think that 'nails it on the head'! Someone (in a book) also suggested some other non-tech-easy-to-carry equipment such as a compass, first-aid kit (sounds obvious!) and candles the latter mentioned as a backup when the torch batteries run out but they could be a serious fire hazard too! I guess how much you take with you depends on the location, number of investigators and the time allotted etc JBG

candles are very handy to detect drafts

Riamfada wrote: »
    As far as I could tell the ghost app would randomly generate words from a corpus and spit them out . I pointed this to the group who said "but how do you know something isnt controlling the random words" . Eugh.

Ive come across this too - usually when people are using ITC devices. I normally ask them why aren't they using a toaster, since you'd never know.

It depends were you go and what has been experienced there. One instance we had, a Tray from a fridge landed about 4 feet from the fridge in question, while we were in the other room. Despite 2 of us locking it in.

CCTV would have been great on that to see how it exited. Now all we have is a slightly weird story that might not be paranormal at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

As far as my approach goes, I've become more methodical and logical over the years, even though I've not been on an investigation for ages. But yeah, I think the most important thing about using technology on investigations I actually knowing how to use it properly! I'd probably be pretty thorough about what I'd bring with me and why, and I'd be making sure that I knew how to use it, or at the very least mention I'm learning how to use it on an investigation. Either way, I think that proper usage of equipment, low, mid or high tech is most important. Although I also think that there should be backup equipment for certain things, such as a light stick or candle replacing a torch for instance.

Admittedly, that also means that a team would be required to be more coordinated with regards to equipment management and usage, which is not a bad thing when I think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Isn't the issue that these people are using equipment not designed for their purpose without any evidence that the equipment in any way suits the purpose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

maccored wrote: »
    Ive come across this too - usually when people are using ITC devices. I normally ask them why aren't they using a toaster, since you'd never know.
    The last book I mentioned in the books on paranormal thread has a good chapter on ITC devices and its hidtory

As far as my approach goes, I've become more methodical and logical over the years, even though I've not been on an investigation for ages. But yeah, I t the most important thing about using technology on investigations I actually knowing how to use it properly! I'd probably be pretty thorough about what I'd bring with me and why, and I'd be making sure that I knew how to use it, or at the very least mention I'm learning how to use it on an investigation. Either way, I think that proper usage of equipment, low, mid or high tech is most important. Although I also think that there should be backup equipment for certain things, such as a light stick or candle replacing a torch for instance.

Admittedly, that also means that a team would be required to be more coordinated with regards to equipment management and usage, which is not a bad thing when I think about it.
    Yes you'd be wasting your time and money if if you didnt know how to use the equipment and didnt understand the results obtained

I guess it is like an amateur astronomer getting a hi- tec telescope for 5K not knowing how to set it up and understand what you see when you peer through it. Always advised for newbie astronomers that they learn as much and read as much before hand and start off with basic equipment like binoculars.Same advice for new paranormal investigators, read as much as you can and learn to use the basic equipment.

technology is good. its the lack of research into the need for the technology in the first place is the issue imo.

Advertisement