Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best way to look busy in work ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Email is the absolutely best way to make it look like you’re working while doing nothing.

Never send an email before 5 o’clock. Even if it’s a straightforward question make sure that sending it is the last thing you do in the evening before putting on your coat.

It’s always best to start it with something like

“Sorry I’m only getting around to this now but . . .” or “sorry I’m only checking my email now.”

These make it look like you are far too busy to waste time with emails and if that’s how you treat work ones than obviously you’d never have time for personal ones.

If people phone you, get them to email any queries they might have. Throw in a statement about how you’re trying to introduce a better system for tracking what stage particular clients are at. Mention this to your boss as being the greatest idea ever so you can tell minions/clients complaining about lack of responses that yourself and whoever have discussed this, alluding to his full approval whether you have it or not.

Another good one is to “accidentally” send a work related email that you’ve fully completed really well to your boss. Then wait for him to discover it and mention it to you. Apologise and say that was meant to go to whomever and then say “but it’s ok, I made a point of meeting him this morning and went through it with him.”

Makes you look like you’re always working and if you blame it on your email system messing up so much the better. My boss would fail the ECDL so this is a trick I pull quite often and then give out about servers or emails bouncing. Not that I’ve much of a clue about IT either but usually if you speak with enough authority people will believe anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

heres a thought, how about actualy workin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭PCB

heres a thought....get f0cked a55clown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Be seen with a measuring tape and ajustible spanner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Be seen with a measuring tape and ajustible spanner.

twould raise a few questions if ya were a Doctor tho :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Pretending to talk to someone on the phone... effective and hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

PCB wrote: »
    heres a thought....get f0cked a55clown
    Infracted for personal abuse.

twould raise a few questions if ya were a Doctor tho :)

Just imagine a dentist walking around with a Kango 1200w hammer drill :eek: :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Maybe the best way you could have looked busy was, wait for it...actually working ?? :)

Maybe the best way you could have looked busy was, wait for it...actually working ?? :)
    Depends on the type of job you have of course...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'd say you're fierce popular in the office! ;)

The more adventurous slacking off was the only thing I enjoyed about my last job.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

- Have multiple programmes open on your PC so if someone walked behind you they'll just look and walk on ...

- Do some roughwork on paper and pile it all together so when your boss stops by they'll see all this paperwork that they will think has to be inputted

- Look puzzled while looking at your PC monitor and ruffle through some papers

kerry4sam wrote: »
    - Have multiple programmes open on your PC so if someone walked behind you they'll just look and walk on ...

I once created wallpaper, by opening multiple apps and doing a print screen, save as wallpaper. It always looks busy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

so do ye just have nothing to do?

so do ye just have nothing to do?
    Irregular workload, just it's better to look busy all the time! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I once created wallpaper, by opening multiple apps and doing a print screen, save as wallpaper. It always looks busy ;)

Genius!

Bit useless for me though. I'm not supervised and have nothing to do most of the time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Its much harder to look buzy than acctually be buzy

Advertisement