Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

prime Vitali Klitschko VS prime George Foreman ('72-'74)

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

His jabbing shoulder was injured early on, so his best weapon which is his jab was not used, and he still comfortably won

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭RiseToTheTop

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Having watched a rerun of the Vitali v chisora fight, vitali was very average and was even troubled by chisora at times.

Chisora has the frazier style which can be effective, bobbing and weaving, and clearly vitali had some problems coping with it.

I think Tyson in his prime would have knocked out Vitali in the first round, at least vitali aged 40+. Tyson would be much too fast for him. Tyson knocked out a fair few tall guys like Vitali, a few 6"4, and 6"5, and I think a 6"6 guy, so it wouldn't be a stretch to knock out Vitali.

The bigger the fighter, generally the slower the reactions, and that's why Tyson demolished a lot of those big fighters.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

cowzerp wrote: »
    His jabbing shoulder was injured early on, so his best weapon which is his jab was not used, and he still comfortably won

Fair point...but from what I saw, once you get around or inside his jab, he's very vulnerable and average on the inside, and Chisora showed that.

He's definitely there for the taking by even an average fighter, if they have the right approach.

Again, someone fast and good in close, like Tyson would demolish him in the first round in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

walshb wrote: »
    I would argue Foreman is 3/4 inch taller than Ali. Maybe 6'4".

Vit is about 2-3 inches taller than George.

Agreed. Ali was actually quite tall, and towered above sonny liston who was about 6"1. They used to say Liston was a big bad man, a big bear, etc and yes he had awesome reach among other stats, but Ali was actually a good bit taller than him, so its hard to see why Ali would be so afraid of him, even though he probably was a bit.

Foreman is/was 6"4 I would say.

Anyways, Tyson and Frazier to a point proved that height can be got around. I think the Frazier way was to negate his opponents longer reach and jab with his bobbing style.

Big fighters like Vitali like big fighters like themselves who present a standing target.

Tyson was also very hard to jab against when he was younger.

Foreman on the other hand, didn't really defend himself in his prime, so if he didn't knock someone out early, there was always a chance against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭minty16

I dont think people realise how good prime Foreman was. Go and look at the tapes. The guy was an animal. Nobody could stop him, and he stopped some darn good fighters. I've never seen such brute strength and power in a boxer as prime Foreman.
    Ali beat him because he was smarter than him, using great tactics. Foreman also had a troubled preparation for this fight. If Foreman wins the rumble in the Jungle he is the greatest , thats the fine margins we are dealing with here. If Foreman had fought Ali again he probably would have won. Ali's style is bad for Foreman, but the experience of the defeat combined with the troubled prep makes me feel he would have had a great chance to beat him. At the same time I realise Ali knew he could probably not perform to that level again so I dont blame him. Still adds to the point that Foreman wins the rematch though. I have Ali and Foreman as CLEAR 1 and 2 all time HW's.

Kilt and Foreman is a great fight. These two guys are out on their feet. What swings it in favour of GF is watching Vitali against Lennox Lewis. Lewis in 2003 to me was like a poor mans version of Foreman 30 years before. I think Vitali has a chance to beat 03 Lewis but it's 50-50 from the couple of rounds we see. 73 Foreman has too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,657 ✭✭✭✭walshb

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Agreed. Ali was actually quite tall, and towered above sonny liston who was about 6"1. They used to say Liston was a big bad man, a big bear, etc and yes he had awesome reach among other stats, but Ali was actually a good bit taller than him, so its hard to see why Ali would be so afraid of him, even though he probably was a bit.

That was commenetd on by several at the time, that when Clay/Ali met Liston, Clay/Ali looked the bigger man, he sure had a 1-2 inch height advantage, but also, the way Clay/Ali carried himself, stood tall, broad etc, he looked every bit as big and bigger than Liston. When they stood centre of the ring Clay/Ali sure showed his confidence. He looked the boss. Unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

minty16 wrote: »

Kilt and Foreman is a great fight. These two guys are out on their feet. What swings it in favour of GF is watching Vitali against Lennox Lewis. Lewis in 2003 to me was like a poor mans version of Foreman 30 years before. I think Vitali has a chance to beat 03 Lewis but it's 50-50 from the couple of rounds we see. 73 Foreman has too much.

The size and height advantage of a Vitali or a Lewis is very significant over a Foreman... It is a massive differnence which cannot be overlooked , especially if these fighters with these considerable size advantages are some of the best elite boxers ever. Vitali has one of the best chins in heavyweight boxing history .

George foreman obviously was a very hard puncher but he weighed the same as david haye , but he would have been alot slower and easier to hit . Geroge foreman in his prime was very small compared to todays boxers . Vitali has a grantie chin and is one of the finest heavyweight outside boxers ever.. Ali stood toe to toe and let foreman use his face and body as a punching bag for most of their fight, that was his tactic . Foreman would not even have that kind of opportunity against a much taller, heavier, more powerful man with a massive clinical demoralising jab and a right to back it up

I think Vitali beats him every time and Vladamir beats him on most occasions

He was 220lb as a young boxer, heavier than Tyson was-he is 1 of the hardest hitters if not the hardest hitter in boxing history, his chin is grade a and he was tough as they came, he could lack finesse at times but was a monster and still would be if around today, the brothers trouble anyone ever and George is no different.

Only when Vitali was 28 and over did he start to weigh in at over 240lbs regularly. By that age Foreman was almost retired. (1st time.)

Before he weighed in mostly around 236lbs. There isn't a "massive difference" weightwise.

• Advertisement

sxt wrote: »
    Geroge foreman in his prime was very small compared to todays boxers .

I don't think I can take you seriously when you post this. The man was 6 feet 3 or 4 and 220 lbs of solid muscle. Which men today are somehow so much bigger, fat wise, or natural wise. We know Klits are, but those two apply to any era, and probably future eras too.

Haye was never naturally close to Foreman in size of physique.

walshb wrote: »
    I don't think I can take you seriously when you post this. The man was 6 feet 3 or 4 and 220 lbs of solid muscle. Which men today are somehow so much bigger, fat wise, or natural wise. We know Klits are, but those two apply to any era, and probably future eras too.

Haye was never naturally close to Foreman in size of physique.

Apologies,I worded that badly. I was definitely referring to the klits with their size / height / athleticism . They represent the best of todays heavyweights , and will probably be the mould for future greats, in decades to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭runboyrun

Foreman is too ferocious for Vitali

Vitali may be taller but foreman is a lot stronger, powerful and stockier with a longer reach

Foreman would dominate him with his power

Foreman was only 220lbs sometimes. In his last couple of fights before his first retirement he weighed around the 230lb mark.

Foreman was only 220lbs sometimes. In his last couple of fights before his first retirement he weighed around the 230lb mark.

Regardless of vitali being heavier, foreman was still the stronger man and the much harder hitter so that negates the weight difference

runboyrun wrote: »
    Regardless of vitali being heavier, foreman was still the stronger man and the much harder hitter so that negates the weight difference

It makes a huge difference if you are in the same physical shape as the Klits!

• Advertisement

It makes a huge difference if you are in the same physical shape as the Klits!

It makes a difference to power, strength and also tiring an opponent out if leaning on them

Regardless of the weight differential, Foreman was stronger and more powerful

Vitali doesn't fight on the inside so he won't be leaning too much on Foreman so I feel that issue won't exist

Foreman had freak strength and power. Chisora would never have swarmed and bullied a70s or 90's foreman like he did Vitali.

Foreman would have gotten Chisora out in less than 3.

Are you two some kind of tag team ? , taking it in turns to dish the klitschko's in every thread..

No, we are posters on a forum putting across our views..if that's OK. (its what the forum is for, ya know.)

I agree

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭tryingmybestt

foreman would win with a dominating destructive performance

Apologies,I worded that badly. I was definitely referring to the klits with their size / height / athleticism . They represent the best of todays heavyweights , and will probably be the mould for future greats, in decades to come

Hopefully not.

I agree but people are forgetting that Vitali had a shoulder injury ruining his best weapons, his jab and left hook, also Vitali is not a get in and take them out style of fighter like big George anyway, totally different styles of fighting.

cowzerp wrote: »
    I agree but people are forgetting that Vitali had a shoulder injury ruining his best weapons, his jab and left hook, also Vitali is not a get in and take them out style of fighter like big George anyway, totally different styles of fighting.

+1

The Chisora fight means nothing anyway. 40 year old Klit won comfortably. Foreman would have killed Chisora, but it has zero relevance as regards Klit at peak vs. Foreman at peak.

What would have happened to Chisora if he slapped Big George at the weigh in? :D

What would have happened to Chisora if he slapped Big George at the weigh in? :D

I'd guess his hand would have a heart attack!

Advertisement