Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traktor Noob Question

Options
  • 08-12-2011 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Sorry about asking this first of all, the answer is probably staring me in the face but it seems impossible.

Im using traktor scratch pro with an audio 4.

Basically wondering if its possible to record a mix while using an external mixer? or do i need an audio 8 to do that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You have two "decks" going from your PC through the Audio 4 into an external mixer?

If you are using an external mixer (NOT the internal Traktor mixer) then yes, you need to take the master output from the mixer and record that. Depending on your PC / Mac, you could use the record line in (Won't be good quality), buy a bigger sound card and use one input on it, or buy a recorder. I use an iKey: http://www.ikey-audio.com/

EDIT: Unless you have an input on the Audio 4 your not using, then its a case of taking that input and routing it to the recording sound software of your choice. In the long run, you'd be better off getting a stand alone recorder because using the same PC to play out and record may be a disaster waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Yeah, you can only record within Traktor when you're not using an external mixer.

Going from the master out straight back into the laptop's line-in is fine, it's not ideal quality, but you're gonna have to compress the mix down for the internet anyway.

Audacity and Traktor are both pretty light on CPU, so that'll be fine too, it's nothing compared to a DAW and a load of VSTs.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

you can record from an external mixer, i use traktor to record all my mixes, vinyl and traktor scratch, you'll need one of the other soundcards though as you need a spare channel input, audio 4 only has 2 channels, basically take the output of the mixer and hook it to the free input channel of NI soundcard, then go into the record section of the preferences and set it to what ever channelthe mixer is hooked into.

EDIT: just seen ironclaw pretty much said the exact same thing

Advertisement