Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2014 OT v2.0 - Official Bitch & Moan thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

robman60 wrote: »
    That's an interesting point and probably correct. I know a lot of the people in my year are almost completely depending on Heaney whereas the better students are choosing the poets they prefer. I might just do Heaney because I find his poetry pretty easy and he's so likely to come up.

Im fairly sure when an examiner comes across a high B or A student's essay on Heaney it will be a breath of fresh air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Lara_15 wrote: »
    Just did a word count on a plath essay I did, never wrote it out so I don't know how long it is written, it is 1555

I got a B1 (which is v good by my standards, cos english is one of my worst subjects)

Perfect thank you mines around the same. Was worried i lost the run of myself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

LoveLamps wrote: »
    Im fairly sure when an examiner comes across a high B or A student's essay on Heaney it will be a breath of fresh air

I doubt it tbh, people are gonna have a load of Heaney answers learned off by heart; at least 20% of people who are learning off answers for Heaney will have an answer that suits the question perfectly, hence they'll be getting high Bs/As.

Having no Heaney in the exam would be the best choice from the SEC in my opinion considering that everyone seems to expect him to come up. That would nearly completely separate the wafters from the genuine people who studied the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Poliana.xo

I would love Heaney as an unseen poet, would literally be like 2012 with Plath not showing up :pac:

For geography global interdependence option, what is everyone concentrating on? I have desertification/deforestation and fair trade prepared so far :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Having no Heaney in the exam would be the best choice from the SEC in my opinion considering that everyone seems to expect him to come up. That would nearly completely separate the wafters from the genuine people who studied the course.

So your gonna do 5 poets then?

thelad95 wrote: »
    So your gonna do 5 poets then?

No, I'll do 4.

People who are only studying Heaney don't deserve to be rewarded for not putting the work in, that's the point I was trying to make. :P

Poliana.xo wrote: »
    I would love Heaney as an unseen poet, would literally be like 2012 with Plath not showing up :pac:

Have him as a comprehension, THAT would be cruelty.

Have him as a comprehension, THAT would be cruelty.

Ah but then people would have a night to cram a different poet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

Doing well in the leaving cert isn't just about being a genius and studying everything on the course. There's a lot of luck involved also.
    You could be a great student that does well all the time and then the LC could go badly or vice versa.
    That's honesly all I'm scared of, just being unlucky on the day.

• Advertisement

Ah but then people would have a night to cram a different poet :pac:

Jesus Christ you're evil.

I like it! :D

Doing well in the leaving cert isn't just about being a genius and studying everything on the course. There's a lot of luck involved also.
    You could be a great student that does well all the time and then the LC could go badly or vice versa.

That's the same with everything though really.

Jesus Christ you're evil.

I like it! :D

I just really don't like when people who put nothing in do well :rolleyes: aaand, I would rather less people were doing well this year :pac: aand maybe I am a little mean sometimes :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

That's the same with everything though really.

Yes exactly so all we can do is try our best.
    If there's anything that the predictions on here have helped me with is realizing that I need to cover as much as possible to have the best chance of doing well.

No, I'll do 4.

People who are only studying Heaney don't deserve to be rewarded for not putting the work in, that's the point I was trying to make. :P

Well you roll the dice and all that. Could you not be classified as a wafter for only doing 4? :cool:

I think Heaney will come up but I think it will be tough. For example, write a speech about why you think Heaney is the best poet of his generation or something like that.

Personally, I would love to see Larkin or Kinsella. Yeats and Dickinson depress me deeply with their drivel.

How the f*ck does Larkin not depress you but Dickinson does? :pac:

I just really don't like when people who put nothing in do well :rolleyes: aaand, I would rather less people were doing well this year :pac: aand maybe I am a little mean sometimes :cool:

I want one of my friends to do **** because he thinks he'll do brilliantly whilst doing nothing.

Also, failure excites me.

How the f*ck does Larkin not depress you but Dickinson does? :pac:

Oh he's depressing but I find him easier to write about. Yeats can just f*ck off.

I want one of my friends to do **** because he thinks he'll do brilliantly whilst doing nothing.

Also, failure excites me.

Wow. You're a good friend.

Some people can do brilliantly from just listening in class. I wish I could learn their secret.

Oh he's depressing but I find him easier to write about. Yeats can just f*ck off.

Yeats shouldn't have been allowed to write poetry :( I despise his poems, and themes, and style.. And from what I've read about him, not a great personality :pac: Ignoring him completely :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

People want to see you do good, just not better than them. Don't be a d*** or your classmates/friends will remember you as one. Its these last few weeks that impressions shall be made forever. If they don't study, and they still come out with 600 points, its just a combination of luck and general intelligence. Thats life, and I wouldn't put anyone down over it.(unless they think they're unreal, in which case then you should probably drift from them before college)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

All this higher level talk and I do ordinary level and havent gone to class since november. Better go learn the names of the people in the books whos summaries I read sometime. Whole week to prepare for Maths :D

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

"The harder you practice, the luckier you get."

Wow. You're a good friend.

Some people can do brilliantly from just listening in class. I wish I could learn their secret.

If me and my friends weren't c*nts to each other we wouldn't be friends, it's the same with everyone in my school.

I thought that was the same everywhere? :confused:

It's so bad that there's people taking bets on a guy crying at the graduation, one guy's offering 3/1 odds for f*ck sake :pac:

If me and my friends weren't c*nts to each other we wouldn't be friends, it's the same with everyone in my school.

I thought that was the same everywhere? :confused:

It's so bad that there's people taking bets on a guy crying at the graduation, one guy's offering 3/1 odds for f*ck sake :pac:

I'm so grateful I'm not from Cork. :p

I know what you mean about being c*unts to friends and all that. It's just banter (I hope). I found that since I graduated (for the first time :rolleyes:), you actually begin to act like adults with your friends.

Except when your drinking of course ;)

Yeats shouldn't have been allowed to write poetry :( I despise his poems, and themes, and style.. And from what I've read about him, not a great personality :pac: Ignoring him completely :P

Yeats seemed like he hadn't a clue what he wanted.

He seemed to support a British monarchy over Ireland (correct me if I'm wrong), whilst also supporting nationalism.

He also came across as a complete dickhead in a few of his poems, Easter 1916 for example. God and he was so bitter over that MacBride fella!

Why is he our most celebrated poet!? :confused:

I'm so grateful I'm not from Cork. :p

I know what you mean about being c*unts to friends and all that. It's just banter (I hope). I found that since I graduated (for the first time :rolleyes:), you actually begin to act like adults with your friends.

Except when your drinking of course ;)

Cork is the greatest place ever and the centre of the universe :rolleyes:

It's hard to explain how me and my group of friends get on with each other :pac: I've about 4 I'd die for and they'd do the same for me, but there's another 2 that I simply couldn't give two sh*ts about and they couldn't care less about me but we still get on really well, it's just like we never managed to actually get that whole brotherly feeling you get with some friends.

Thinking about it maybe I'm just a complete prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭LoveLamps

Well MacBride did marry the "love of his life"
    That's in quotations cos after proposing to her several times (to no end) he proposed to her daughter years later!

#playaaa

FYI, I like Yeats, I'm not sure of why.

And Dickinson certainly didnt know what she was on about half the time either (I think she had mental health issues that in her time were obviously undiagnosed) she says hope was with her in the hardest times in one poem and describes a world where it doesnt exist in another..

Yeats seemed like he hadn't a clue what he wanted.

He seemed to support a British monarchy over Ireland (correct me if I'm wrong), whilst also supporting nationalism.

He also came across as a complete dickhead in a few of his poems, Easter 1916 for example. God and he was so bitter over that MacBride fella!

Why is he our most celebrated poet!? :confused:

Easter 1916 and September 1913 are the most bitter things I've ever read. His nature poems are just boring.

He was also into the occult and was allegedly a satanist and pro-Nazi.......

• Advertisement

LoveLamps wrote: »

And Dickinson certainly didnt know what she was on about half the time either (I think she had mental health issues that in her time were obviously indiagnosed) she says hope was with her in the hardest times in one poem and describes a world where doesnt exist in another..

I've heard she might have had epilepsy which explains why she never left her house, as in her times it was associated with masturbation :rolleyes:

I like her though, I like her style, techniques, and even themes. Maybe because I just like weird, depressed poets :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement