Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon lens 75-300 or similar - where to buy?

Options
  • 01-01-2010 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

I'm looking to buy a replacement for a Canon 75-300 USM lens.
    Either the 75-300 IS USM or maybe a stretch to the 70-200 L lens
    I need it for both EOS 300 and 450D so needs to be compatible with 35mm and digital cameras.

I searched on adverts.ie and no sign.

On 21-10-2009, Trev M said about the 70-200 L:
    "I bought one (non IS) off adverts [...] I think I paid 450 or 475 somethin round that mark. "

I've found for 75-300 IS USM :
    pixmania.ie €528
    amazon.co.uk £300
    digital-cameras.com n/a (USM, non-IS is £140 which looks cheap)
    SimplyElectronics.net 449 (but has 70-300 IS USM for 440)
    I'd worry about buying on ebay.

Any comments on experiences with these sellers?
    How about Gunnes, Camera Exchange, and those shops at the top of Grafton St and Dawson St ?

TIA
    Patrick
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Of the Dublin Shops I have found Conn's Cameras and Hall Cameras both very good to deal with and their prices seem to me to be fairly competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

LeoB wrote: »
    Of the Dublin Shops I have found Conn's Cameras and Hall Cameras both very good to deal with and their prices seem to me to be fairly competitive.

Of the Dublin Shops I have found Conn's Cameras very poor to deal with and their prices seem to me to be unbelievably overpriced

best prices and service in Dublin shops is Gunnes on Wexford Street

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I've never had anything other than a pleasant experience in conns so as in everything else, ymmv. Can't really speak for their prices though, I've only ever bought 2nd hand stuff.
    Best camera shop in town without a doubt though is gunnes, there's no debate about that :-)
    Only ones I make an effort to avoid are berminghams and that place on top of grafton street.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

I you want to buy local, then Gunns is a great place. If they don't have it they can get it and chances are it will retail cheaper than most other Dublin stores.
    If you want to buy online I have found www.warehouseexpress.com is a good place to get stuff from.
    I have used Simply Electronics in the past and although their shipping & order processing times are stupidly long, they are often a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

Thanks, Rojo, sorry, I had not found any ref to "75-300" when I looked at adverts.ie Maybe I had to be logged in or I might have mistyped.
    I'll look more carefully there.

As expected, different people have reported different experiences of the shops in this thread!

Thanks
    Patrick

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

Hi Patrick, I linked the ad in my previous post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 robertcochran

Sysmod wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a replacement for a Canon 75-300 USM lens.
    Either the 75-300 IS USM or maybe a stretch to the 70-200 L lens
    I need it for both EOS 300 and 450D so needs to be compatible with 35mm and digital cameras.

Patrick

My experience with a similar decision may be of help (I have a 40D). The various 70-200 lens are generally regarded as great lenses, BUT are big, white, and expensive. For me, that meant I eliminated them from my choice. The 75-300 seems to be regarded as an OK but not a great lens.
    So I homed in on the 70-300 lenses. There are two versions of this - the cheaper one is a bit bigger of the two, but lighter, but does not have full-time manual focusing and the front element rotates (which is a pain if you have a CPL filter on). So that left the DO version of the 70-300, which is much more expensive, but which is what I eventually got. As it happened, when I decided to look out for one, Conns had one for sale secondhand, which reduced the price factor quite a bit.

So if you want good glass I would say look at one of the 70-200, or one of the 70-300 lenses, depending on your needs, budget and preferences

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

CDiscount in Dundalk have a Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM for €329.00.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

i'll sell you one for 15mm to 400 mm sigma

Advertisement