Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Manga Studio

Options
  • 16-05-2009 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi all, anybody using Manga Studio? I just bought the basic edition and it's amazing. The brushes are much better than Photoshop or Painter and the panel layout tool is fantastic.

Only just playing with it now but it's well worth a look. And yes, you can draw normal comics with it, not just manga.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I heard of it ages ago but have never gotten around to trying it; I'm just downloading the demo now. (Not keen on the way that the demo of the basic version insists on credit card details, though).

Edited to add: Also saw this notice about the demo version - "NOTE: work saved in the demo version of Manga Studio cannot be opened in the full version and vice versa."

Wow, it's like they want people to try and download naughty versions of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭livingtargets

Yeah I got the demo in an issue of ImagineFX but I haven`t tried it yet.

I wasn`t too sure about using it because I thought it was just for manga type stuff but now the Spunker is singing it`s praises so I might just give it a blast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭magwea

Dave Gibbon is using this nowadays to draw most of his stuff, only doing finishes in photoshop. There is a short DAve Gibbon process video using mangastudio on youtube, for the ImageFX cover he did were coincidently livingtargets got his demo mangastudio.

I know there are people in the states that swear by the original Japanese version because that supposedly has extra features that have gotten cut in the English one.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Uncle Spunk

Dave Gibbons would put you to sleep! Yeah the full version looks deadly and yeah the saving issue is odd.

$50 for a full programme is deadly though and I think the credit card thing is a clever idea. I'll post some comparisons of the brush strokes on my site soon

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ah, don't get me wrong - $50 for the basic version is great, especially when Photoshop Elements costs more than that and is by the sound of it less well suited to the kind of work we're talking about. I'm curious to see what it's like in terms of brushes and effects, though. (I've found some of the free stuff like Paint.NET to be pretty versatile if you spend a bit of time digging around for plugins, for example)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭livingtargets

I`ve been messing with it for a wee bit yesterday and today and
    to be honest it`s not my thing.I may be in the minority in this but I much prefer the GIMP.

I can see how Manga Studio works better for some comic artists but ol`Gimpy just suits my kinda stuff better.

so anyhoo,I`d say if anyones interested in Manga Studios you might as well get the demo to try it out,especially if you`re interested in drawing U.S comic type stuff
    But if you`re looking to draw something a little more "graphic design-y"then I`d say use the GIMP.

Also,is Manga Studios a bit sluggish for anyone else?There`s a tiny little delay that is really annoying.It might just be mine,though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Interested to hear what people think of colouring in manga studio - I've found it pretty good for black and white work [though will admit I'm still more likely to use illustrator for digital work] I haven't taken the time to really play around with colour in it yet and have seen mixed results from other people using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

I've got Manga Studio 4 Ex installed on my laptop and I use it regularly for my webcomic and some other drawings.....but only for panelcutting, inking and speechbubble adding....Then i export the image and import it into Paint Tool SAI and set it to multiply and colour in :) I do this mainly cos i feel the colours in manga studio are a little lack luster

Ooh this is my first post in this forum :)

Yep the colouring is really basic but now I love it, you can flat really fast by using the wand on you line art. I flat in MS and then dick around in Photoshop.

thats pretty cool, any examples?

• Advertisement

Heres a random one, all the base cols are MS and then a texture in PS. Boom. Done. http://www.flickr.com/photos/clamnuts/3073291605/

the rock texture is pretty awesome i must admit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I prefer tv paint for drawing in. no one would know it was drawn on a computer it looks exactly as if i drew with a pencil on paper its great.

Advertisement