Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilets?!

Options
  • 29-07-2014 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Has anyone any idea of what's an ideal toilet to guest ratio??

Our venue has two ladies and two gents. We'll have 160-170 guests. They have suggested hiring in luxury portaloos if we don't think that's enough, but anywhere we've checked out is asking for around €1,000 and not sure if it's worth that?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭AoifeCork

I was at a wedding in Kerry (outside Kenmare) recently and there were only 2 toilets for the WHOLE wedding... Around 7pm, one got flooded... Not ideal!

As long as the staff can guarantee to keep a close eye on the facilities then you should be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

kkcatlou wrote: »

Our venue has two ladies and two gents. We'll have 160-170 guests.

Is that just 2 cubicles for each or 2 rooms with more?
    Does the gents have urinals or just 2 toilets?

If just 2 cubicle for each, it's cutting it fine, but you should be ok.
    There may be a bit of a queue once the speeches are over though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

This has some decent guidelines. - https://www.canterbury.gov.uk/media/253481/sanitaryaccommodation.pdf

I'd say an extra two toilets for the women would be a good idea.

However - can people head back to their room if the queue is too long, or are there other toilets available nearby?
    I think you'll manage with the four toilets if you need to, but as someone else mentioned make sure a close eye is kept on them because if even one breaks, it gets really tough.

Also, not sure what sort of dress you're planning to wear, but think carefully about your own needs too.
    From what I've read, going to the toilet in a wedding dress is difficult enough without adding an audience of ten people queuing to use the bathroom.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

This has some decent guidelines. - https://www.canterbury.gov.uk/media/253481/sanitaryaccommodation.pdf
    Also, not sure what sort of dress you're planning to wear, but think carefully about your own needs too.
    From what I've read, going to the toilet in a wedding dress is difficult enough without adding an audience of ten people queuing to use the bathroom.
    On my wedding day every time I needed to use the loo I went up to the bridal suite. There was a dressing area just outside the bathroom so I'd get one of my bridesmaids to unzip my dress and wait outside, then when I'd gone to the loo I got back in and they came in and zipped it up again. Otherwise it would have probably been a two woman job holding up all the layers!

OP, I reckon putting in a few more for the ladies to avoid massive queues. You'd probably be ok with the men cos they're usually in and out much quicker than the wimmins! Although as Aoife said, if one gets blocked you could be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

I saw a photo on pinterest, with the bride on the toilet facing the wall. Great photo and looked a practical solution to a pressing problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Thanks a million for the replies folks!

The toilets are four standalone toilets - two at either side of the ballroom - each has it's own sink, etc. So it would mean extra time with people washing hands and so on. No idea about urinals, but I doubt it.

There will be bathrooms upstairs for the bridal party/ families, so we were going to say to them to use their own toilets and pass the word onto any desperate guests.

But I do take your point on the ladies. Would people use posh portaloos though if there's fancier toilets available on site? Plus, in your opinions is it worth €1,000? It wasn't budgeted for and we've 6 weeks to go, so wondering what we can cut out to fit them in!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Thanks a million for the replies folks!

The toilets are four standalone toilets - two at either side of the ballroom - each has it's own sink, etc. So it would mean extra time with people washing hands and so on. No idea about urinals, but I doubt it.

There will be bathrooms upstairs for the bridal party/ families, so we were going to say to them to use their own toilets and pass the word onto any desperate guests.

But I do take your point on the ladies. Would people use posh portaloos though if there's fancier toilets available on site? Plus, in your opinions is it worth €1,000? It wasn't budgeted for and we've 6 weeks to go, so wondering what we can cut out to fit them in!!

I think 2 toilets is too little! Especially if you have pregnant ladies/children/older people.
    Is it the norm at the venue to rent portaloos? I would take the hit a pay the €1000 if you divide it up it is only around €6 per person. You can get really nice portaloos you see them in VIP areas at events and they are prefect just that the water is blue! Plus I am sure the staff will be checking on them?

Thanks. Will ring around a few more places and see can we get a cheaper quote (if anyone knows anywhere, please do share!!). At this stage, it's hard to just magically produce €1,000 (even if it is only €6 per person), as everything else is pretty much paid for or ordered!

With regards to my own dress, it won't be a problem, but then any excuse to visit the bridal suite would be a novelty, so might do that anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Our venue has two ladies and two gents. We'll have 160-170 guests. They have suggested hiring in luxury portaloos if we don't think that's enough, but anywhere we've checked out is asking for around €1,000 and not sure if it's worth that?!

Any way of pushing this problem back on the venue? If they take your booking for x number, surely they should supply facilities for that number, not spring something like this on you with 6 weeks to go. I've been to posh garden parties with the fanciest of portaloos but honestly, my reaction to them is still a bit ick, just because you know they are fancier versions of the green tower of terrors you get at marathons or festivals. Even the fanciest are 'do your business and leave' rather than places to redo your hair, touch up makeup, natter with a friend the way you would normally linger at a wedding in the ladies.. They also usually are cabins up 3 or 4 very steep steps so could pose access issues for older people. Plus presumably you would have to step outdoors to reach them, which isn't great. Unless your wedding has a very rustic, festival vibe, they would likely detract from the day overall. But so would giant queues for the ladies, so definitely try to make it the venue's problem, not yours. Given that it is a suboptimal solution, you should not have to bear all of the costs.

Blatant discrimination but if you do get them, could you designate one of the gents loos indoors as a ladies, and make the portaloos just for gents?

Thanks. Will ring around a few more places and see can we get a cheaper quote (if anyone knows anywhere, please do share!!). At this stage, it's hard to just magically produce €1,000 (even if it is only €6 per person), as everything else is pretty much paid for or ordered!

With regards to my own dress, it won't be a problem, but then any excuse to visit the bridal suite would be a novelty, so might do that anyway!

I hear you kkcatlou, I am sure you have already spent a lot of money on the big day. I do think though two toilets is too little for ladies. I was pregnant last year at a wedding and spent the majority of my time there in the toilet as I had hyperemesis plus I had to pee a lot because I was preggers! So then there would only be one toilet :eek:

• Advertisement

fiona-f wrote: »
    Any way of pushing this problem back on the venue? If they take your booking for x number, surely they should supply facilities for that number, not spring something like this on you with 6 weeks to go. I've been to posh garden parties with the fanciest of portaloos but honestly, my reaction to them is still a bit ick, just because you know they are fancier versions of the green tower of terrors you get at marathons or festivals. Even the fanciest are 'do your business and leave' rather than places to redo your hair, touch up makeup, natter with a friend the way you would normally linger at a wedding in the ladies.. They also usually are cabins up 3 or 4 very steep steps so could pose access issues for older people. Plus presumably you would have to step outdoors to reach them, which isn't great. Unless your wedding has a very rustic, festival vibe, they would likely detract from the day overall. But so would giant queues for the ladies, so definitely try to make it the venue's problem, not yours. Given that it is a suboptimal solution, you should not have to bear all of the costs.

Blatant discrimination but if you do get them, could you designate one of the gents loos indoors as a ladies, and make the portaloos just for gents?

Thanks Fiona-f, couldn't agree with you more! That it shouldn't be our problem, and that I for one, would always rather queue for a normal toilet than go outside to the fanciest of portaloos, and that if push comes to shove, just shove the lads outside!

We'll push with the venue a bit more. To be fair, it's partly our issue as our numbers have escalated to more than we originally thought, but that said, springing it on us close to the end of planning wasn't nice either! We will have a few old/ pregnant (not old pregnant) people there, but I'd hope people would have the cop on regardless of the portaloo situation to let those people skip a queue anyway!

Going to phone a few more places, and see what can work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Funnily enough, a friend of mine (mother of the groom) had only one complaint about the venue. That 2 of the 5 ladies loos available to the function room had packed up even before the main course had been served. Afterwards she heard that this is par for the course at this venue.
    She (discreetly) kicked up a fuss and two empty hotel bedrooms were magically found just a lift ride away.
    It wasn't ideal but nobody seemed to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

I goggled some calculations on toilets to guest ratios earlier. Seems to me your well in the ballpark with 4 toilets. US Site Services was quoting 5 toilets for 500 people.??? Bizarrely the more people the less toilets you need.

"Calculate the number of needed toilets based on roughly two toilets for every 100 guests. According to a calculator on UnitedSiteServices.com, this is an approximate calculation for deciding how many toilets you will need. The site calculates based on the amount of hours the reception spans as well. The estimate above is calculated with a four-hour time frame. Take into account if there are toilet options inside the residence where the wedding is taking place and if those will be accessible for guests.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_6152528_plan-number-portable-toilets-wedding.html"

Thanks Fiona-f, couldn't agree with you more! That it shouldn't be our problem, and that I for one, would always rather queue for a normal toilet than go outside to the fanciest of portaloos, and that if push comes to shove, just shove the lads outside!

We'll push with the venue a bit more. To be fair, it's partly our issue as our numbers have escalated to more than we originally thought, but that said, springing it on us close to the end of planning wasn't nice either! We will have a few old/ pregnant (not old pregnant) people there, but I'd hope people would have the cop on regardless of the portaloo situation to let those people skip a queue anyway!

Going to phone a few more places, and see what can work.

Even if your numbers were 100 I think 2 toilets are not enough. What does the venue normally do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

fiona-f wrote: »

Can't stop laughing, towers of terror, so apt!
    OP, I agree, push it back on the venue. If they are able to cater for the numbers, they have to have had this issue previously. Could they make some bedrooms available, for example. Not ideal, but, they must have had to find solutions before. It's a bit saucy of them, that this is only coming up now and that you are the one left worrying about finding €1000, which is a lot of money, in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Replace the toilet does with frosted glass ones, to avoid toilets being occupied for longer than needed. :)

On a contingency basis, if one (or two!) toilet gets blocked, there will be a lot of pain.
    almorris wrote: »
    I goggled some calculations on toilets to guest ratios earlier. Seems to me your well in the ballpark with 4 toilets. US Site Services was quoting 5 toilets for 500 people.??? Bizarrely the more people the less toilets you need.

"Calculate the number of needed toilets based on roughly two toilets for every 100 guests. According to a calculator on UnitedSiteServices.com, this is an approximate calculation for deciding how many toilets you will need. The site calculates based on the amount of hours the reception spans as well. The estimate above is calculated with a four-hour time frame. Take into account if there are toilet options inside the residence where the wedding is taking place and if those will be accessible for guests.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_6152528_plan-number-portable-toilets-wedding.html"

At American weddings, people don't quite spend so much time drinking so much. Irish wedding run on for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Also, if you do get them, make absolutely sure the hotel staff include them in the cleaning/monitoring rota that they'd have for the regular facilities.

LynnGrace wrote: »
    Can't stop laughing, towers of terror, so apt!
    OP, I agree, push it back on the venue. If they are able to cater for the numbers, they have to have had this issue previously. Could they make some bedrooms available, for example. Not ideal, but, they must have had to find solutions before. It's a bit saucy of them, that this is only coming up now and that you are the one left worrying about finding €1000, which is a lot of money, in my view.

You can get nice portaloos that are not like the tower of terror. When I was younger I worked at the European open in the VIP section which was for the golfers and their families etc and the portaloos were absolutely grand and they even had an attendant. I would rent these no problem. I agree with another poster who said that portaloos could look out of place at your venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

LynnGrace wrote: »
    It's a bit saucy of them, that this is only coming up now and that you are the one left worrying about finding €1000, which is a lot of money, in my view.

How is it a bit saucy of them ? Unless they have physically removed toilet facilities since the OP viewed the venue then its reallly the OP's own issue.

If the OP didnt check all the facilities available for their wedding reception then thats their fault not the venues.

FWIW I think 4 toilets is plenty for 160 people anyway, granted there may be the occasional wait for one or two persons but generally there will be a toilt available immediatly for whomever needs one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Surely the toilets next to the function room are not the only ones in the venue? The hotel my sister had her wedding at had a ladies next to the room with 3 toilets in it but outside there were other toilets for the bar and the hotel restaurant. I would rather spend 1000 on something else!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Dovies wrote: »
    Surely the toilets next to the function room are not the only ones in the venue? The hotel my sister had her wedding at had a ladies next to the room with 3 toilets in it but outside there were other toilets for the bar and the hotel restaurant. I would rather spend 1000 on something else!

I was just thinking about that. Are there other toilets that even if it was a bit of a walk to them, would lessen the queues?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

If you have 170 guests with presumably 20 - 30 staying at the venue (parents, bridal party, family).

So then you've got 140 people who need access to the public bathrooms.

Do you really need more than four bathrooms then? I mean, what's wrong with waiting a turn?

It's not as if they'll all need to go at the same time.

By all means if the venue can provide it or you can get it cheaper do, but I can think of better things to do with €1,000.00 six weeks before the wedding.

Thanks a million for all the replies! Seems to be mixed opinions, both like our own!!

To answer some of your questions - it's a private venue, not a hotel, so there are no public toilets as such. But there are 6 other bathrooms upstairs. They are a bit away, and you wouldn't want everybody traipsing up to them, but for the families, they would be fine.

We asked the venue what they have done before, so they gave us the number of a local guy they normally use, and I rang him earlier, and he can do decent, fancy loos (x4 in a trailer) for €500. So as our numbers have gone up since we first agreed rates with the venue, we think we're gonna ask them to go halves with us on the price. Hopefully they'll agree and at least then it'll be a bit palatable!

Personally I think the 4 would be fine, but like people have said, I'd hate to run the risk of one getting blocked or getting really stinky, and the one thing people comment on after is the toilets....when you have gone to huge effort to make other things stand out!

Advertisement