Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Busiest Forums

Options
  • 14-07-2014 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Curiosity more than anything else, I spotted that F&F is 6th, I like a read in there even though I have no in real life reason for it. I expect their's lots like me and that's what has it so high.

What are the Busiest?

Top 50?

or 150+ if it can be copy/pasted?

Thanks.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Our busiest forums in terms of posts made in them for June 2014:
    1. After Hours
    2. Soccer
    3. Motors
    4. Cycling
    5. Farming & Forestry
    6. GAA
    7. Gigs & Events
    8. Radio
    9. Bargain Alerts
    10. Football Betting
    11. Puzzles & Quizzes
    12. Leaving Cert
    13. Accommodation & Property
    14. Games
    15. Rugby
    16. Television
    17. Golf
    18. Horse Racing

This does not include any private/hosted forums.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,561 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I would just add that Rugby is definitely in its quiet period at present - when it gets going during the winter, it's about as big as Cycling in terms of where it ranks in the Sports forums

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

So the conclusion is we're all a bunch of betting sport freaks who love to take our vehicle of choice out into the countryside and then have a pint chatting with our m8s over who should buy what property while trying to find a bargain to cover our betting losses :P.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I'm surprised CVPL isn't on the list. It's probably around second or third in terms of views?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

First 3 were a given, but I'm a bit surprised at how they rank afterwards. Very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I suspect that Gigs & Events has been given a bit of a boost of late due to a certain non-event and possibly isn't always as busy as the list above suggests.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Our busiest forums in terms of posts made in them for June 2014:
    1. After Hours
    2. Soccer
    3. Motors
    4. Cycling
    5. Farming & Forestry
    6. GAA
    7. Gigs & Events
    8. Radio
    9. Bargain Alerts
    10. Football Betting
    11. Puzzles & Quizzes
    12. Leaving Cert
    13. Accommodation & Property
    14. Games
    15. Rugby
    16. Television
    17. Golf
    18. Horse Racing

This does not include any private/hosted forums.

Was it difficult to get this statistic Niamh? I would love to see how it changes over the course of the year! Cycling is much busier now during the Tour de France, and I imagine other forums fluctuate similarly.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,561 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Was it difficult to get this statistic Niamh? I would love to see how it changes over the course of the year! Cycling is much busier now during the Tour de France, and I imagine other forums fluctuate similarly.
    The Tour boosts numbers significantly during July, but you'd probably be surprised that the Cycling forum is not overly "seasonal" (certainly no-where near as much as other sports). Traffic is generally up over the summer with that peak in July, but there's always a steady stream of topics keeping the forum busy (as perhaps evidenced by the fact that Cycling has more than twice as many threads as Soccer for example, even ignoring the sub forums)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Thanks Niamh.

Puzzles and Quizzes is a surprise there. I think I've only ever popped in once, must check it out.

That's alot of sport for a Nation of Fatties.:pac::p

As mentioned above, more of this sorta stuff would be great, even a dedicated page for it even.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm surprised CVPL isn't on the list. It's probably around second or third in terms of views?

Between Garth Brooks, World Cup and Leaving Cert, we were probably temporarily bumped out.

Most viewed or subscribed forums though I'd imagine we still rank pretty highly.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    I suspect that Gigs & Events has been given a bit of a boost of late due to a certain non-event and possibly isn't always as busy as the list above suggests.
    Indeed, himself would have had a large effect however it is also festival season so I'd imagine chat about the likes of Marlay Park, Longitude, Electric Picnic coming up, etc. would also have an effect at this time of year normally anyway with much bigger audiences than your average gig during the rest of the year.
    Not difficult at all, the lads are working on some reporting tools that should make getting this kind of stat fairly easy. Once perfected we hope to share a certain amount of stats with you on a regular basis. Cycling is actually always one of our busiest forums though I can't say if it's particularly busier right now due to TdeF or not.
    Thanks Niamh.

Puzzles and Quizzes is a surprise there. I think I've only ever popped in once, must check it out.

That's alot of sport for a Nation of Fatties.:pac::p

As mentioned above, more of this sorta stuff would be great, even a dedicated page for it even.
    As above, we hope to be able to share a certain amount of stats on a regular basis soon enough. It's on The List :P

Cycling is actually always one of our busiest forums though I can't say if it's particularly busier right now due to TdeF or not.
    There's definitely an upturn during the tour - I think one day last year the forum had getting on for 1,000 posts which is more than three times as many as normal

Interestingly it's usually a very quiet forum over the weekends, as a lot of the regulars are "otherwise engaged". That's what differentiates it from many (not all) of the other sports forums - virtually everyone who posts actually cycles

Beasty wrote: »
    There's definitely an upturn during the tour - I think one day last year the forum had getting on for 1,000 posts which is more than three as many as normal

Interestingly it's usually a very quiet forum over the weekends, as a lot of the regulars are "otherwise engaged". That's what differentiates it from many (not all) of the other sports forums - virtually everyone who posts actually cycles
    They are off out on their bikes taking lovely photos (Photos taken on your cycle is one of my favourite threads :) )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

You would imagine Football betting is in temporarily too, given the month it was. Soccer is now in the calm, docile 'off-season' so has probably dropped a few spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Regarding the CVPL's forum I would hazard a guess that a lot of users are like me, I frequently visit to check out the "nope", " wtf" and "gifs" threads but wouldn't know how to create for a example a gift, to post there. For the record my kids love those threads so thanks a million.

Other than that the list would look something like I expected.

Would love to see this kind of data made more freely available so users can track the seasonal popularity of different forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'd love to see if "by views" rather than "by posts" changed much (esp CVPL and similar forums). Also seasonal patterns would be interesting! :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm surprised to not see Personal Issues in the top 20. It used to be well up there back in the day. Though maybe this is because it's a semi private forum, not searchable and posts don't show on the front page? The Ladies Lounge used to be high enough too, within the top 10 IIRC(though maybe that was within categories?}. Very surprised not to see Politics in the top 20 too. Just goes to show how perceptions can differ from reality. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I was surprised PI wasn't there also - it certainly has a very high historical postcount. Politics seems to ebb and flow a lot though hitting peaks at election time. Some forums have a hell of a lot more of a seasonal nature than others, and it's only when you get a full year that you get a reasonable picture of how busy some of the forums are

On the views count, it would be particularly interesting to see how the Soccer forum, which has restricted posting but only banned posters cannot view, fares. However as I understand it the views count we see is not unique views by separate individuals, but does appear to include "repeat" views after a certain period. I've seen, for example, quite surprising increases of views in certain threads that have been untouched for some time, but may attract "repeat" visits (I'm thinking in particular about some of the training logs sub-forums in the Sports categories)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm surprised to not see Personal Issues in the top 20. It used to be well up there back in the day. Though maybe this is because it's a semi private forum, not searchable and posts don't show on the front page? The Ladies Lounge used to be high enough too, within the top 10 IIRC(though maybe that was within categories?}. Very surprised not to see Politics in the top 20 too. Just goes to show how perceptions can differ from reality. :)

Politics' traffic is split across multiple forums under the Politics header and arguably AH and other forums now where it used to be confined to the one forum for a good number of years (political discussion was banned on AH for many years when the site was younger). Also Politics.ie has taken a lot of it or people have just dropped from the forum scene altogether, a lot of old prolific posters aren't around anymore or have cut down an awful lot on their posting. There's also recession fatigue and we're in a rather boring part of the political cycle after the Euros and Locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

nesf wrote: »
    Politics' traffic is split across multiple forums under the Politics header and arguably AH and other forums now where it used to be confined to the one forum for a good number of years (political discussion was banned on AH for many years when the site was younger). Also Politics.ie has taken a lot of it or people have just dropped from the forum scene altogether, a lot of old prolific posters aren't around anymore or have cut down an awful lot on their posting. There's also recession fatigue and we're in a rather boring part of the political cycle after the Euros and Locals.

We're in silly Garth Brooks season, not much else happening. The Irish Economy sub forum used to be busy but with more relatively settled economic times things have died there a bit.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I love my stats so quite liked the thread, I post mainly in the photography forum and I would ask if possible which forms gets the most thanks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I love my stats so quite liked the thread, I post mainly in the photography forum and I would ask if possible which forms gets the most thanks?

CVPL by a long way I'd say, YLYL in particular

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    CVPL by a long way I'd say, YLYL in particular
    This is quite likely true, it seems that Post of the Day is from YLYL almost every day. Not today!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Interesting stats there, I would think Television is another forum which is currently in its quiet season. June to August is off peak for American shows, No Late Late Show or Saturday Night Show etc.

Bargain Alerts must be one of the highest viewed forums, there always seems to be a huge number of people online there looking to get something for next to nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Skid X wrote: »
    Interesting stats there, I would think Television is another forum which is currently in its quiet season. June to August is off peak for American shows, No Late Late Show or Saturday Night Show etc.

Bargain Alerts must be one of the highest viewed forums, there always seems to be a huge number of people online there looking to get something for next to nothing.

I'm a right cheap skate. I won't even thank a post that finds me a bargain..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 A Little Baby Elephant

Bumping this for updates...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I wonder is there any chance we could see an updated list of the busiest forums? :)

The forum I use most often being the Fantasy Sports Arena but June as was the month cited above would be easily the quietest month for that forum while any month around December/January would be busy and I'd like to see where it fits in if it's not too much to ask.

Cheers :)

Advertisement