Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foo Fighters Vs. Westboro Baptist Church

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Grohl is a legend in every sense of the word. This happened only a few weeks back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

<3 Dave Grohl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

is rebuke a word :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Unique User Name

Whats this Foo fighters band? Isn't Dave Grohl in nirvana?

Whats this Foo fighters band? Isn't Dave Grohl in nirvana?

Yeah but they're on a bit of a break so he keeps busy.

I heard he might be going on tour with Jim Morrison and Jimmy Hendrix this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

I think this should be moved back, it's more relevant to AH because Westboro are a well known and much hated bunch of people and it's fun to see them get their ass kicked. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

This is why I love Dave Grohl :D. Epic.

Also, that's Zack from Rise Against at 3:55, wonder if the Westboro crowd have heard Make It Stop yet? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

In 2000, the band generated controversy through their public support of Alive & Well, an organization that denies the link between HIV and AIDS, questions the validity of HIV tests, and advises against taking medication to counter the disease.[37] Foo Fighter bassist Nate Mendel learned of Alive & Well through What If Everything You Thought You Knew about AIDS Was Wrong?, a self-published book written by Christine Maggiore, the organization's founder. Mendel passed the book around to the rest of the band, who supported his advocacy

Mindkiller wrote: »
    In 2000, the band generated controversy through their public support of Alive & Well, an organization that denies the link between HIV and AIDS, questions the validity of HIV tests, and advises against taking medication to counter the disease.[37] Foo Fighter bassist Nate Mendel learned of Alive & Well through What If Everything You Thought You Knew about AIDS Was Wrong?, a self-published book written by Christine Maggiore, the organization's founder. Mendel passed the book around to the rest of the band, who supported his advocacy

Where did you copy and paste that from? :p

Everyone knows that was a fad, a long long time ago and the band are not associated with it at all anymore and it's not listed as a charity they support but still people like you with far too much free time like to bring this up every now and again because it's the only bit of dirt about them you can find. It's getting very old :rolleyes:

GTFO troll.

Wikipedia of course. And I don't think it's quite fair to call it a 'fad' when a celebrity irresponsibly uses his status to disseminate a potentially harmfull message to impressionable young teens. I would hope that by removing the group from his webpage that Grohl has also reneged on his idiotic views.

Good drummer though.

• Advertisement

Wow........ that's some pretty major sh*t! I had no idea they were AIDS deniers! That's mental!

Naomi00 wrote: »
    Where did you copy and paste that from? :p

Everyone knows that was a fad, a long long time ago and the band are not associated with it at all anymore and it's not listed as a charity they support but still people like you with far too much free time like to bring this up every now and again because it's the only bit of dirt about them you can find. It's getting very old :rolleyes:

GTFO troll.

Fad? Denying AIDS is a fad? How is that even possible? Carrying dogs in bags is a fad. Yo-Yos were a fad. This........... you're deadling with people's lives!

The fact that they've changed their mind means nothing. I mean it's like saying "Yeah, I was a Nazi but nowadays i'm just a gardener".

I've always been a big fan...... now I gotta look at them in a different light!
    Wikipedia of course. And I don't think it's quite fair to call it a 'fad' when a celebrity irresponsibly uses his status to disseminate a potentially harmfull message to impressionable young teens. I would hope that by removing the group from his webpage that Grohl has also reneged on his idiotic views.

Good drummer though.

+1

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Wow........ that's some pretty major sh*t! I had no idea they were AIDS deniers! That's mental!
    I don't think that they're quite that. One of them read a book written by a HIV positive guy which claimed that there was no proven link between the virus and full blown AIDS despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Nothing in science is certain but I found it deplorable when I read it. I don't buy their stuff anymore out of principle

You can read more about it here.

Here's a quote from a fan:
    ""AIDS is a toxic disease caused by either long-term recreational drug abuse or short-term anti-HIV medications," writes a 22-year-old member of the Alive and Well-affiliated Students Reappraising AIDS on the Foo Fighters' Web-based message board. "HIV is not spread sexually, nor is it the cause of any disease.""

Well an AIDS denier (at least in the way I used the term) is exactly what you just explained right there. Disgraceful stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Whisht - this is all far too serious for Cool Vids.

Well an AIDS denier (at least in the way I used the term) is exactly what you just explained right there. Disgraceful stuff!
    Yea, I guess you're right. I may have miscontrued the term tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

Westboro Baptist Church, what a bunch of dícks :)

I don't think that they're quite that. One of them read a book written by a HIV positive guy which claimed that there was no proven link between the virus and full blown AIDS despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Nothing in science is certain but I found it deplorable when I read it. I don't buy their stuff anymore out of principle

You can read more about it here.

Here's a quote from a fan:
    ""AIDS is a toxic disease caused by either long-term recreational drug abuse or short-term anti-HIV medications," writes a 22-year-old member of the Alive and Well-affiliated Students Reappraising AIDS on the Foo Fighters' Web-based message board. "HIV is not spread sexually, nor is it the cause of any disease.""

Quoting someone who claims to be a 'fan', when it could be anyone posting on any postboard. What a reliable source. I'm a member on their postboard and even though I don't go on it that often you can be guaranteed theres nothing of the sort on there. That 'quote' could be years old and is that person's view, not the FF.

Good drummer though.

They didn't use their status to promote anything. If you knew anything about the band you'd know that that isn't what they do. You're making it sound like they were advocating it, they weren't. It was one member of the bands personal view and even though it was wrong the band did not promote it and have nothing to do with it anymore. Unfortunately for tabloids and sensationalist media, the Foo's don't do too many things to piss people off so they have to cling to this old story :rolleyes:

Fad? Denying AIDS is a fad? How is that even possible? Carrying dogs in bags is a fad. Yo-Yos were a fad. This........... you're deadling with people's lives!

The fact that they've changed their mind means nothing. I mean it's like saying "Yeah, I was a Nazi but nowadays i'm just a gardener".

I've always been a big fan...... now I gotta look at them in a different light!

+1

Yeah it was something Nate Mendel heard about and believed at the time (as lots of people do with such things). You're all making it sound like they're crazy or something. It was Nate's own personal view at the time (10 years ago remember). He doesn't believe that anymore because it's obviously not true (lots of other people believed that at the time) and the band does not have anything to do with that organisation.

This was a light hearted thread, but people on this have to cause hassle over nothing as usual.

Now back on topic!

Ew the Phelps have been tweeting about it. Didn't know they had Twitter..

They didn't use their status to promote anything. If you knew anything about the band you'd know that that isn't what they do. You're making it sound like they were advocating it, they weren't. It was one member of the bands personal view and even though it was wrong the band did not promote it and have nothing to do with it anymore. Unfortunately for tabloids and sensationalist media, the Foo's don't do too many things to piss people off so they have to cling to this old story :rolleyes:

Eh, I would hate to derail this topic anymore cause it looks awfully trollish but I can't ignore this comment.

They did use their status to promote this view. They organised concerts as 'The Foo Fighters' in support of 'Alive and Well'. That's what I meant by 'using their status'. And clearly none of the other band members were at odds with Nate if they went ahead with such a venture.

Foo Fighters bassist Nate Mendel helped organize a sold-out concert in Hollywood to benefit the group. Foo fans were treated to a speech by Alive and Well founder Christine Maggiore, who believes AIDS may be caused by HIV-related medications, anal sex, stress, and drug use, and implies that people should not get tested for HIV nor take medications to counter the virus. Free copies of Maggiore's self-published book, "What If Everything You Thought You Knew About AIDS Was Wrong?," in which she declares "there is no proof that HIV causes AIDS," were also passed out to the concert-goers.

"Quoting someone who claims to be a 'fan', when it could be anyone posting on any postboard. What a reliable source. I'm a member on their postboard and even though I don't go on it that often you can be guaranteed theres nothing of the sort on there. That 'quote' could be years old and is that person's view, not the FF. "

That's really besides the point. If Nate's or Dave's stance on this issue could have encouraged even just one person to forego preventative measures or medication for HIV/AIDS then it's a problem. It's people's lives ffs. Lets not pretend that teenagers (which it can safely be said are Foo's main target demographic) aren't naive enough to accept something like this at face value.

And the quote is at least a decade old. Which is again besides the point.

If they have distanced themselves from this group (which it appears they have) then great. Clearly the credibility of that woman's book is in doubt considering she died a few years ago from AIDS related illnesses. I'm sure all the members must realise now what an ill-informed stance it was to take.

• Advertisement

Yeah it was something Nate Mendel heard about and believed at the time (as lots of people do with such things). You're all making it sound like they're crazy or something. It was Nate's own personal view at the time (10 years ago remember). He doesn't believe that anymore because it's obviously not true (lots of other people believed that at the time) and the band does not have anything to do with that organisation.

His own personal view, that would be fine. If he hadn't have pushed it on others and then through his band used his and his band's fame to push the agenda. There's a massive difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

An interesting debate, but one better suited to After Hours, or maybe Politics.
    Ideally, I'd put it in the Aardvark Forum. They'd love this in the Aardvark forum.

Getting back on topic would be just spiffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Cool bands are really cool at being cool, not like the uncool ones.....

Advertisement