Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability dating...

Options
  • 22-04-2006 3:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Has anyone any recommendations for dating websites for disabled people? Have a disabled female friend (straight) who wants to try dating online. Any thoughts on sites out there that are more than just places for swingers??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Personally, I would advise her to start just going to different boards about topics and things that she is interested in and meet people online via a community.
    Better to have shared interests the are not confined to a "describe yourself in 30 letters" type of thing.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Archeron

Would there be a problem with using the ordinary dating websites? I for one would see no problem dating a person with a disability, as I believe the important aspect is the things you have in common and that you get along well. Perhaps thats me being naive, but thats honestly how I personally would feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

While the intention may be honorable I’m not sure looking for a disabled dated site is actually all that good an idea. Firstly I would imagine few disabled people would see their disability as the defining aspect of their person, which is what such a site or venue would imply.

I think Franknfurer’s advice with regards getting active on various forums and attending the associated socials that are arranged around these is a much better way to met people if you wish to do so using the net. I don’t know, but online dating always smacks of the desperate to me. At least with forums you’ll gravitate to like minded people and not really be dealing with people just going for one thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Also, on a "disability dating" site she would probably come across people such as this (DO NOT CLICK LINK IF EASILLY OFFENDED!) -> http://devguide.org/dis2.shtml

I remember seeing this stuff online many years ago, Im not easilly shocked but *FFS* lol

b

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

It's odd that I've seen this thread. I can't remember where but I saw www.dating4disabled.com advertised only the other day...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Absolutly no reason why a disabled person needs to look to there own for love, I know 4 people off the top of my head who are married to people who have no disability at all, 2 of which have quiet severe physical limitations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

True, but people often do want to look to "their own", whatever group they might consider "their own". If someone wants help doing so then I'm inclined to suggest they try the site kittex found and leave discussing whether they should or not for a different thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Talliesin wrote:
    True, but people often do want to look to "their own", whatever group they might consider "their own". If someone wants help doing so then I'm inclined to suggest they try the site kittex found and leave discussing whether they should or not for a different thread.

Bit harsh IMO, was just sharing my expierence, sometimes disabled people feel they need to stick to looking for love within the disabled community(I did for a while), so they focus too much on that, thats all I was saying.

However your entitled to your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I think Talliesin is reading something in the opening post which isn't there. Its not stated that the person involved is looking for a site for disabled people to meet other disabled people, but rather a site which is suitable for a disabled person.
    This could mean for example that the website is accessible to disabled persons, ie for those who are visually impaired and use readers for example. Or a site who's venues are wheelchair accessible would be a boon.

All in all I think the advice given is valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Offalyguy

cuddles_ie wrote: »
    Has anyone any recommendations for dating websites for disabled people? Have a disabled female friend (straight) who wants to try dating online. Any thoughts on sites out there that are more than just places for swingers??

I'm a guy with a disability I'm really good in my life right now and would love to meet some girls go on a few dates something nice, relaxed and meet someone to get to know me and just see what any adice???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 vinegarZombie

Offalyguy wrote: »
    I'm a guy with a disability I'm really good in my life right now and would love to meet some girls go on a few dates something nice, relaxed and meet someone to get to know me and just see what any adice???

My advice friend is go for it! I am not disabled , but I would not have any problem
    going out with with a disabled person. I am sure that there are many girls that wouldn't find your disability a problem.

Advertisement