Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portable stoves at oxegen

Options
  • 04-05-2005 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Does anyone know if you're allowed to bring a portable gas stove with you into the oxegen campsite?
    They're on sale in lidl tomorrow cheap enough, along with tents by the way, and i heard that they might be classed as a fire hazard, and could be confiscated.
    They'd be handy for cooking up some food rather than paying for stuff there.
    So does anybody know or have previous experience with this?

By the way, my friend was thinking about bringing some food down on the friday and then doing a trip to tesco in naas on sunday morning for more food, beer etc... and was wondering do they let you out (not that its like a prison or anything!), but can you get back in okay?
    I think its a stupid idea anyway just think bout the queues trying to get back in thats the last thing you need.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I think they're OK. We've used them before without anyone saying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Yeeah we went to naas, and got loadsa brekfast rolls (for real prices, not mad like circuit catering at oxegen) and biscuits. The security guys let you in and out as much as you want, if you have the camping band.

But if you are searched on your way in, they *will* confiscate the gas stove, as it is officially prohibited. But they only search scummers anyways.

*If you are a scumbag, dont wear those white nike xxl tracksuit bottoms and the goldie-looking chains, as this will make security search you on the way in! ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

If they see a fire they'll take extinguishers to anything and everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

They're banned (along with glass bottles, fires etc) but i've not heard of anyone having it confiscated.

What's the point though, when there's so many places to get food at oxegen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Bstatic

ha ha no I'm not a scumbag, but thanks for clearing that up, I think I'll chance bringing one in. They're only 12 euro anyway so no big loss if they're taken.
    But were the queues bad along the road when you went to naas? The last thing i want is to be stuck waiting in the car when I could be in there already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

we used one at the first witnness and nobody minded so I think it would be ok.

feck it, just go early on friday, the queues arent bad, really (from the west, in our case)
    Yeah I'm bringing one too. nothing like buying €20 worth of steak and frying it up at night time! instead of paying out €11 for crappy rolls in the stalls.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

A friend of mine brought in a portable stove that ran on tablets, not gas. It was smaller and easier to get in. I have seen people have their stoves confiscated at the search area but not many. Just be discrete when using it as security might take it off you if they see it on site.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

if you're in the campsite and they see you bringing it in they will take it from you, if the find you using it in there - fire extinguishers...

camp in the car park and bring whatever you want and eat good food, this will be year 4 in the car park oh yeah and the craic is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Puff Puff Pass

I've got a portable stove already - any ideas lads on how to hide it going in?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Mr Rivers

How about on of those disposable bbqs?
    1104222654.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

They are prohibited and you would want to be a pretty selfish individual to bring one in. Given the nature of the event and the size of the campsite the risk of fire is considerable if such items are used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

as has been said before you are allowed use that stuff in the car park so if you can get it in on your way in it should be no prob when your going out to fry up your food

the stewards would be onto you in an instant though if you tried that in the campsites

But ya could use the bbq INSIDE your tent! Ah ha!

no... wait...

*coughrollyoursleepingbagarounditcough*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I've seen people having them taken off them for the last two years when they were caught using it in the campsite, it is stupid cos if one tent caught fire then a load of them would go with it!

Just bring it and cook outside in the car park or go to naas to get food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shivface

You can't light fires? Bum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

shivface wrote:
    You can't light fires? Bum.

Of course not? Have you seen the Oxegen campsite - it's a temporary campsite for weekend accomodation and not your 5 star all singing and dancing camp site in the south of France.

Excellent! Would they see the smoke at night?

• Advertisement

no the security guys in the towers are usually far away. And not always on th ball, anyways. Just don't burn down the whole campsite, although....
    It would be a legendary festival then... ;) the great campfire at oxegen '05.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

Only who can prevent forestfires?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

lordgoat wrote:
    camp in the car park and bring whatever you want and eat good food, this will be year 4 in the car park oh yeah and the craic is good

I thought they were really strict about camping in the carpark? I've heard of people having their tents pulled down by security for pitching them in the carpark.

Mabye he means that theyre sleeping in the cars? Or in a camper. I saw loads of campers last year.

Doodee wrote:
    Only who can prevent forestfires?
    Only YOU can prevent forest fires

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

they will let you away with anything.....

the bag ive brought the last two years is massive, and both times they've said to me "any bottles?" "anything for making a fire?" "any sharp objects?" "if i open the bag will i find anything i shouldnt?" they gave my bag a small tap and let me on i swear you could smuggle a baby elephant in to oxegen if ya had a big enough bag to put it in

honestly i have no need for a barbecue although i resent the high prices it is easier to just bring that bit of extra money for food cause im gonna be ****ed and its one less thing to worried about go in to naas saturday morning if im stuck for anything

and if ur going to bring a barbecue just remember use ur common sence, dont throw it around the place when its lighting put it a good few feet away from any of the tents and when ur finished with it make sure its completely out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭HarryD

read in Raz magazine that they should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭shivface

BrianD wrote:
    Of course not? Have you seen the Oxegen campsite - it's a temporary campsite for weekend accomodation and not your 5 star all singing and dancing camp site in the south of France.

Camped at Reading Festival last year and they had absolutely no problem with us lighting a big ole fire every night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Shouldn't really have a fire within 50 meters of a tent.
    The old canvas ones burn down (100%) in 8 seconds.

But I understand the temptation. Food prices there are intolerable.

Bring pre-cooked pizza like I did last year :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement