Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant or back to school allowance?

Options
  • 23-02-2015 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi there I want to go back to college hopefully in September or sooner if I can find something. I was in WIT for 2 years of a 4 year course when I got to 3rd year I was told I needed to repeat 2nd year as I had failed certain modules. Due to the fact I couldn't pay for the repeats I had to leave.

I was getting the VEC grant is it possible to apply for the grant again? I will be 23 in April will this change what I apply for?

Thanks for any help
    Ian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

You'll be liable for full fees and will be ineligible for any funding for the first two years of any new course, after which free fees will kick back in and you'll be able to apply for the grant again.

The exception is the "5 year rule", where your eligibility will be reset if it's been five or more years since you left.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ibanezkav

Thanks I hadnt a clue what the story was, I guess I'll be going back to broke student for 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

maki wrote: »
    The exception is the "5 year rule", where your eligibility will be reset if it's been five or more years since you left.

and have not had any study during the 5 years, even part-time, on a course that leads to a major award on the NFQ.

This part is very important as some people may do apprenticeships when they leaved college and try and return under the "Second Chance" rule.
    A lot of apprenticeships are a higher cert level 6.

Advertisement