Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas what THIS means???

Options
  • 18-02-2015 4:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

This message started appearing a few days ago. Tried System Restore, and Memory Diagnostics. Still shows up on every start-up. All of the memory shows up as accessible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

You can't read what's in the photo...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Are you shutting it down correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rayfitzharris

Carlimited wrote: »
    This message started appearing a few days ago. Tried System Restore, and Memory Diagnostics. Still shows up on every start-up. All of the memory shows up as accessible.

Unreadable, but it looks like the standard windows boot loader screen for choosing an operating system. Does it have a 10s or 30s countdown?

If it is, the timeout can be edited in one the msconfig screens. ( type msconfig in the run box)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Carlimited

Here is an bigger picture. The top white bar says "Windows 7". I haven't screwed with any of the setting in msconfig, or any of the boot settings. There is no countdown, and unless I press "Enter", it just sits there forever. The hard-drive is 3 months old, and has a brand new operating system (Windows 7). Other than this, the machine works "normal".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Carlimited wrote: »
    Here is an bigger picture. The top white bar says "Windows 7". I haven't screwed with any of the setting in msconfig, or any of the boot settings. There is no countdown, and unless I press "Enter", it just sits there forever. The hard-drive is 3 months old, and has a brand new operating system (Windows 7). Other than this, the machine works "normal".

If you go to tab and then menu does it give you option in there to select windows seven as default? That's the same screen I get when I boot up my laptop but I have windows 7 and windows 10 on mine. Other thing it could be is if its not a genuine copy of windows you get that screen if its using a loader to bypass windows activation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

who did the "brand new" operating system for you?

No, there's only the one operating system (and it's a genuine copy). I tried taking a pic of the boot screen settings, but it wasn't that clear. The only option to boot from is: "Windows 7 (C:Windows) : Current OS; Default OS

It was purchased in a sealed package, with the serial number (and was validated on install). I changed the hard-drive myself, and installed the operating system myself (in late October)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

as mentioned above, you could go into msconfig and change the countdown settings to 1 second and it should skip by it.

I could only set the "Timeout" value to 3 seconds, but will see if that helps. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Control panel -> system -> Advanced system settings -> Startup and recovery in advanced tab -> Untick time to display operating systems.

That should get rid of it all together from showing.

Cool! I'll give that a try-thanks!

None of this worked. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Did you install over an existing OS or was it clean on a formatted disk?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Click Start and in the search field type cmd but do not hit ENTER. Right-Click the result of the search and select Run As Administrator.

When the elevated command prompt opens, enter:

bcdedit

After hitting ENTER this will display the boot information for the computer. There should be 2 sections: Windows Boot Manager & Windows Boot Loader. Post the result here and we can advise further.

Ken

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Using BCDEdit (run command prompt as admin as above) you can set the bootloader timeout to be 0 seconds.
    Try this command:
    bcdedit /timeout 0

Then reboot and hopefully the OS selection screen won't appear

Nick

It was a brand new OS, on a brand new, properly formatted disc (it didn't do this until recently, and the disc is 5 months old)...

Not sure what happened, but for the last 3 starts, the machine has started "normally" lol...

Advertisement