Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Undergraduate Course - Grant?

Options
  • 17-02-2015 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have completed a 4 year undergraduate course a number of years ago, and went on and have been working in that area for a cumulative 5 full time years in the last 8 years.

I am on a salary of 33k, and seems i've pretty much hit the ceiling. Now I know some people would be delighted with this, but for me, it's just not enough. Especially when its coupled with the fact that it's a stressful busy environment and I work very hard, and don't exactly enjoy the work either.

I have been contemplating re-training, going for a new course, a new direction. I never received any grant money for my first degree, I was assisted by family. If I quit my job and go back to study, will I be eligible for a grant? There's no way I can even think to afford it if I can't.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Bump!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Since you've already completed what I assume is a level 8 course, you're permanently ineligible to receive funding for another undergraduate course, both through the free fees scheme, and through grants.

You should look into postgraduate conversion courses though. I'm not up to date on postgraduate funding, but you may be eligible for something. Even if you don't get funding, it would be considerably cheaper to do a one or two years conversion Masters, compared to a whole 4 year undergrad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Thanks for getting back to me!

I had a fear that somebody would tell me that alright. I had accepted that I'd have to pay the college specific fees, as the government have already paid for my attendance at a Level 8 course previously. I had held out hope though that as I hadn't received any grant money before I may possibly be eligible this time around in the event I chose to pursue that option.

I finished my Level 8 with a 2.1, so that is enough for most Level 9 courses in related fields (my degree is in architectural technology by the way). A two year conversion masters would probably be a good idea.

Advertisement