Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PayPal

Options
  • 22-11-2014 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭

I keep receiving this email (image below) from this email address
    <tagari1963@hawk753.startdedicated.com> purporting to be from PayPal. This link opens a page where one's PayPal account login etc is requested. However, the email address to which it is sent is not the one that I registered with PayPal, and it is not the one that PayPal uses to confirm purchases etc.

Suspecting a phishing scam I queried it with PayPal support, but their only response was to send me a FAQ sheet and to ignore my question.

Anyone out there experienced this?

[IMG][/img]Paypal.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Did you read the faq?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

degsie wrote: »
    Did you read the faq?

Yes. It didn't answer the question, just skirted around it. I was expecting a direct response, not an FAQ. They contact me directly readily enough when they want to sell me more of their services!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭collie0708

I have been receiving the same messages for ages never queried it with paypal just assumed its a scam. Wish I knew how to stop them emailing me it's really irritating.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It's a phishing email by the looks of it. Surprised Paypal wouldn't have been a bit more helpful!
    If Paypal do require your attention manually go onto access paypal.com (don't click on any links in the email!), check the URL bar says https://www.paypal.com and the SSL certificate (Little padlock on most browsers) is valid. Once you login to the official site it will direct you if Paypal require your attention.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭denismc

I have received these emails in the past and have ignored them as they look like spam but then my paypal account got locked.
    Apparently if you receive more than 1000 euro in one month you have to update your details or your account gets locked and can't draw down money in your account. According to paypal its due to E.U anti-money laundering legislation, so I had to send them a copy of my passport and a utility bill to get my account unlocked.
    While i have no problem with paypal trying to follow the EU rules, i just think their communication over the incident has been terrible. So now I am looking for a paypal alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Paul.k.b.90

I work in PayPal and would be pretty certain without looking at your account that its a fake email. WE never really send emails telling you ur account is going to be limited..you generally will only get it when we have limited certain uses on your account..you will also get a message telling you ur accounts limited when u log in and it will ask you to check your resolution centre. Just open a new browser window log in and you should be told there is an issue

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

A general rule of thumb regarding emails purpretrating to be from banks, paypal, ebay, amazon etc. is that they should not be trusted. If a service such as these require your attention, you are best off closing the email and navigating directly to the website itself through your web browser. Don't click on links in the email.
    Paypal et. al will alert you on logging in if your attention is required. you should also check that the website link is correct in the address bar, and that the security padlock is visible (this indicates a secured SSL connection). See more here

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Something else worth noting about these phishing attempts is the poor capitalisation and punctuation in the majority of the messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

"Until we 'here' from you"?!

Couldn't be any more obvious really. Block all messages from that address.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

"Until we 'here' from you"?!

Couldn't be any more obvious really. Block all messages from that address.

And 'LImited' ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement