Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upc price increase

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

RainyDay wrote: »
    That's a really useful guide, fair play to you for putting it together.

The downside is that it is beyond the capability of 99% of UPC broadband customers to implement your guidance. So for the vast majority of UPC broadband users, speed above the 30-40 mb is fairly irrelevant.

I wouldn't say that, the steps to add a new router are pretty straight forward. I'd imagine most people should be able to follow the steps.

Also for those that don't they normally know someone like me with more technical background to help them out.

However I agree completely that UPC should supply better routers. UPC Ireland as of this month are now merging with Virgin Media in the UK.

Virgin Media use a fantastic, high performance and very well regarded router. A dual radio 802.11n model. and they are currently trialling an even better 802.11ac model!

Now that UPC Ireland is part of VM, hopefully we will see these routers come to the Irish market too now, which will sort this problem for most people and make a separate router unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 wilson palacios

JoeCat wrote: »
    Since the price increase and the way they treat existing customers, we have cancelled the service. Tomorrow they will be collecting the equipment. Be aware that the whole cancellation process takes a month and they don't even bother to reply emails sent to their cancellation email inbox.

I just cancelled myself. Got an automated response!

Rang sky and got the same pack I have at the moment for 40 euro cheaper for 6 months and then 30 euro cheaper. And they gave me every channel in hd so I'm delighted!

I have sky sports and bt sport with UPC and they wanted 139 pm. Loyalty team reduced it to 132 or something!

Sky with same pack is 94.50 pm for first 6 and then 104.50 pm. It's a no brainer guys!

Sky asked how much I was paying and I randomly through out the figure of 105 pm!

Wish I said less now as they basically matched but added hd!

Cheek of UPC with their terrible box that on demand randomly turns on when it feels like! I've had many an engineer out over the last two years and they all said it can't be fixed!

Believe in better!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

I just cancelled myself. Got an automated response!

Rang sky and got the same pack I have at the moment for 40 euro cheaper for 6 months and then 30 euro cheaper. And they gave me every channel in hd so I'm delighted!

I have sky sports and bt sport with UPC and they wanted 139 pm. Loyalty team reduced it to 132 or something!

Sky with same pack is 94.50 pm for first 6 and then 104.50 pm. It's a no brainer guys!

Sky asked how much I was paying and I randomly through out the figure of 105 pm!

Wish I said less now as they basically matched but added hd!

Cheek of UPC with their terrible box that on demand randomly turns on when it feels like! I've had many an engineer out over the last two years and they all said it can't be fixed!

Believe in better!!

Is that just for TV? :eek:

I normally pay €66 a month (currently paying half price - deal) for TV, broadband and phone.

I won't move to Sky until they sort out their recording where you can record a few things. Ridiculous that you can only record one and watch one and UPC you can record four and watch one.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Paddytheman

Quick question if anyone can help.... If we cancel our account in my wifes name can I then apply as a new customer to reap the benefits attached?? ( Same surname obviously)

Appreciate any advice!

Monife wrote: »
    Is that just for TV? :eek:

I normally pay €66 a month (currently paying half price - deal) for TV, broadband and phone.

I won't move to Sky until they sort out their recording where you can record a few things. Ridiculous that you can only record one and watch one and UPC you can record four and watch one.

No broadband and phone also

• Advertisement

Quick question if anyone can help.... If we cancel our account in my wifes name can I then apply as a new customer to reap the benefits attached?? ( Same surname obviously)

Appreciate any advice!
    My brother rang them and asked them that question and they gave him the reduction straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

I got the dreaded letter yesterday. Bill going up by €10 a month. So to counter that I've removed my multi-room. With internet streaming and apple TV etc who needs multiroom really. Still not happy with the price I pay - over €80 for SD TV in one room. Thankfully I've around €25 loyalty discounts on my account until April.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mac.in

I spoke to them about the price increase and about the offers that is available with other providers if I moved out of UPC. One nice staff-member of loyalty department matched my current UPC account with the offer from the other provider. This obviously is with the one year contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

We're on a fixed price up to April or May next, so no price increase letter for us so far - but, it looks UPC have added some channels t our package. We had the very basic digital package, but we find today that the Disney channels which weren't previously part of the package are now available.

Has this happened to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

We're on a fixed price up to April or May next, so no price increase letter for us so far - but, it looks UPC have added some channels t our package. We had the very basic digital package, but we find today that the Disney channels which weren't previously part of the package are now available.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Middle tv package is gone. It's either max is the basic package now.

• Advertisement

Morf wrote: »
    Middle tv package is gone. It's either max is the basic package now.
    We always had the bottom of the range, basic package. MyUPC lists it as 'Digital Select Extra', but I can't find any reference to this on their website, presumably because they're not selling it anymore.

Did anyone else find extra channels enabled?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That was the Middle package. The basic pack was Digital Value and the top Digital Max. When I got NTL digital, what became Digital max was the only package so this is a sort of rowing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

icdg wrote: »
    That was the Middle package. The basic pack was Digital Value and the top Digital Max. When I got NTL digital, what became Digital max was the only package so this is a sort of rowing back.

None of the channels added are of any interest really so Digital Value with or without Horizon is far more appealing.

We always had the bottom of the range, basic package. MyUPC lists it as 'Digital Select Extra', but I can't find any reference to this on their website, presumably because they're not selling it anymore.

Did anyone else find extra channels enabled?

Just found the answer to my own question in a 'price increase' email buried in my inbox:
    20 Extra TV Channels
    By 1 February 2015 we will have upgraded your TV pack, giving you 20 extra channels to choose from, including SyFy, Animal Planet, Disney and Disney Junior. That will bring the total number of channels to 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭foxy_j

hey there,

Getting fed up of upc myself. Price increases with ongoing problems like when changing channels its keeps jumping to the on demand menu.

I only saw the price increase email on the 9th of Feb just a couple of days outside the 30 period where you can cancel without penalty.

So I've 30mb BB and basic tv. I was only €41.99 feb last for this last year and they were increasing bill to €49.99 so I called up and complained and was offered two months free and then package would be €48.99. worked out over 12 months as €41.99 p/m.

With price increase and bill showing €48.99 my bill will go up to €55p/m.

I tried ringing up but I was outside the 30 day period. Contract is up in april alright. Best they could do was €5 off for 6 months.

I also asked about cancelling tv (was going get saorview) and keep the BB but works out at €40p/m- bit crazy!

Should I call closer to end of contract date for a better deal?

Thanks

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

foxy_j wrote: »
    I also asked about cancelling tv (was going get saorview) and keep the BB but works out at €40p/m- bit crazy!

Why? That is very reasonable price for such good broadband.

Sky, Eircom, etc. all charge €50 to €55 for their broadband, which is about 1/4 of the speed!

Also Eircom, Sky, Vodafone are all in the middle of raising their prices too at the moment and UPC actually dropped the prices of their broadband (120Mb/s went from €44 to €40 and 240Mb/s went from €55 to €45).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Prices up, and tech support moved to the Philippines.

Advertisement