Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving from Dublin to Cork tomorrow evening, best route to avoid Oxegen traffic?

• 07-07-2011 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭

Hi all, heading home tomorrow evening and just looking for opinions on the best route to take to avoid the inevitable Oxegen traffic. I'll be starting out at Swords.

I was thinking of heading down the M50 past the Cork exit and through Tallaght and Blessington and rejoin the motorway south of Punchestown but there's still a good chance the traffic would be pretty hairy there given its proximity to Naas and the type of roads that exist there.

The other option I considered is to head West to Enfield and then tack South to Portlaoise and straight for Cork then.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

I'd avoid the blessington way as thats marked as an oxegen route.

I'd go with your second option definately....main roads too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

You could just pull a sickie in the morning and head away home early..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Yeah, the more I look at it the more it makes sense, just a short hop between motorways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

If your thinking west & south for Portlaoise id stay on the M4/6 far as kinnegad, then tullamore, mountmellick, portlaoise. Its a fair way around though. You'll get stung for the M4 toll as well. But the N roads between Kinnegad & Portlaoise will probably be better & more direct than any R roads south of Enfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭blindsider

I'm going the other way (Cork to Dublin) and hoping to leave at 1100. Am I likely to hit much Oxegen traffic?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

N11 through Wicklow and Wexford? Change to the N25 at Enniscorthy (I think).
    Quite a nice drive, although a bit longer if coming from Dublin. Some dual carriageway too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

....for Cork on Satruday morning.

I want to be at Cork Airport for 11.00 AM.

I'd anticipate a Journey time of 3 hours to Cork City and another 1/2 hour to the Airport.

Will Oxygen affect me at that time???....I expect to be in Naas area at 6.40am or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Check AA roadwatch, I'm sure they will have updates on the road situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

it starts tonight doesn't it? I'd take my chances with the M50/M7 tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I've always ended up on the N7 at Oxygen weekend, and have never experienced any hold-ups tbh. I wouldn't go near Naas town, but have never been held up on N7!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

You should be fine tomorrow, allow about 90 mins extra. I drove up and down every year for the last six years and apart from a bit of traffic at Red Cow and in Naas, since it became a 4 night thing its not a problem to get by on Friday / Sat. You can still easily get to Naas in about 40 minutes from Red Cow on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Ottostreet is right , Oxegen causes a little bit of extra traffic but you normally never notice it. Friday from 3pm is always bad until about 5:30 to 6pm for friday traffic leaving Dublin on the N7. You might get slowed down but it's not gridlock.
    Anyway is nice checking all the people and their happy little faces travelling down in their car.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

ottostreet wrote: »
    I've always ended up on the N7 at Oxygen weekend, and have never experienced any hold-ups tbh. I wouldn't go near Naas town, but have never been held up on N7!

+1 to this, commuted Swords to Newbridge for two years of Oxygen, no more major hold ups than normal on a Friday tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Can't you smell that? convoy of boggers in wellies, driving daysul passats? I can ;):p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/entries/icons/original/000/001/253/everything_went_better_than_expected.jpg?1257510959

Left Swords at 5:30, currently passing the Curragh. :-)

Advertisement