Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bikers rights

Options
  • 02-03-2009 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

ok lads and lassies
    if someone was to do something about bikers rights wat would ye want them to do
    please choose one from below

choose one which you think is most important 36 votes

more insurance discounts
    0% 0 votes
    more rider training (cheaper)
    5% 2 votes
    no vat on bike gear
    22% 8 votes
    road safety and bike awearness
    44% 16 votes
    direct access
    25% 9 votes
    other (please state)
    2% 1 vote

Comments

Vat on bike gear should be gone. Proper training for all road users, not just bikers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Vat on biker gear abolished. Tbh, I doubt it would even cost the government that much at all to implement.
    It's not a huge community in Ireland and a lot of gear is mail ordered from the UK.

It could be easily done if they wanted to. Not much chance of that though these days

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Sorry I clicked on other. I was hoping there'd be an option for being allowed to use bus lanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭slapper

Sorry I clicked on other. I was hoping there'd be an option for being allowed to use bus lanes.
    well that would count as other you have to state it down here :Dlol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Remove cheese wire and single Armco barriers replace with double Armco barrier or other motorcycle friendly alternative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

We pay enough in road tax and our roads are crap, why not re direct some of the moneys to pay for training and make it more accessable to everyone

Teach them young, when still in school, promote more awareness programs for ALL road users, teach peeps to notice the little things and this will prevent alot of accidents

Abolish vat on all safety equipmet no matter what it is for

Enforce the laws that are already in existance before trying to impliment more

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

gotta go with the Biker Training. But only cus i have to choose one. Really should be combination of that on the no VAT on saftey gear. But have to choose training as less need for gear if you dont get into a nasty situation in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

mikemac wrote: »
    Vat on biker gear abolished. Tbh, I doubt it would even cost the government that much at all to implement.
    It's not a huge community in Ireland and a lot of gear is mail ordered from the UK.

It could be easily done if they wanted to. Not much chance of that though these days
    I think it would actually be better for the Irish economy! I mean, when is the last time you bought a helmet in Ireland? I bought my last 3 online in the UK because paying double here is simply out of the question! Useless politicians... And they raise VAT and Tax during a recession... Useless dopes...

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Remove cheese wire and single Armco barriers replace with double Armco barrier or other motorcycle friendly alternative.
    Amen to that! Those cheese-wire barriers scare the cr@p out of me! They're banned in almost all European countries yet, Ireland has them everywhere because they're the cheapest! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭volker 991

No more cheese wire,why can we not have normal barriers like anyone else in europe?because our goverment(yes i know i am german,but ireland is my home now=my goverment:rolleyes:)are cheap scates:( who rather bail out bankers and fatcats then reducing the danger to bikers and other road users by implementing the soundest and best proofen technolegies to safegard road users.
    I think there should be mandetory practical lessons and then a test on a bike before anyone is allowed out on the road:mad:.
    the cartest should also focus more on the safety of ALL road users rather then just the car drivers.
    i also would like to make it madetory that all bikers wear some sort of reflective gear,so it gets secound nature to all Road users to look out for the reflection on the road and god forbid of it.
    just like to state again....i do have a full bike licence ,but its german and out of date......but after speaking to the ambessy still valid.....,but fair is fair as i have a irish lerner permit i will do the test like anyone else and ride a restricted bike for 2 years.........different country different rules,and i aher to them....PERIOD(bike is at home til restrictor is fitted...Friday)
    I would like set an example here.....out of pricipal ,nothing to do with been german....lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

volker 991 wrote: »
    No more cheese wire,why can we not have normal barriers like anyone else in europe?because our goverment(yes i know i am german,but ireland is my home now=my goverment:rolleyes:)are cheap scates:( who rather bail out bankers and fatcats then reducing the danger to bikers and other road users by implementing the soundest and best proofen technolegies to safegard road users.
    I think there should be mandetory practical lessons and then a test on a bike before anyone is allowed out on the road:mad:.
    the cartest should also focus more on the safety of ALL road users rather then just the car drivers.
    i also would like to make it madetory that all bikers wear some sort of reflective gear,so it gets secound nature to all Road users to look out for the reflection on the road and god forbid of it.
    just like to state again....i do have a full bike licence ,but its german and out of date......but after speaking to the ambessy still valid.....,but fair is fair as i have a irish lerner permit i will do the test like anyone else and ride a restricted bike for 2 years.........different country different rules,and i aher to them....PERIOD(bike is at home til restrictor is fitted...Friday)
    I would like set an example here.....out of pricipal ,notying to do with been german....lol

Fair play to you. But would it not be cheaper insurance wise to get a full EU licence and then just voluntarily obeying the restriction laws? And if you want to pass the test get some lessons and ask your instructor to rate you, they know the level required to pass the test and can then teach you more.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Fair play to you. But would it not be cheaper insurance wise to get a full EU licence and then just voluntarily obeying the restriction laws? And if you want to pass the test get some lessons and ask your instructor to rate you, they know the level required to pass the test and can then teach you more.
    I checked out with the insurance ,only really makes a difference ones you have 1 or more year no claim and you under 30.i am 33 and have no no claims.,so there we go.
    Mate i know myself ,i am No good in self control(:rolleyes:)so better that way,to be honest OH had to say a thing or two about that to.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Proper training for cage users, re-occurring driving tests for cage users, improved driving tests for cage users. I think that would save a lot of lives.

Proper training for cage users, re-occurring driving tests for cage users, improved driving tests for cage users. I think that would save a lot of lives.

If we all understand and respect all road users more(YES Cagers to cuddle) that would saves a lot of lives and tears on frontdoors when the garda turn up and deliever the bad news,biker ,cager,or pedestrian there are all equal lives .....it could be your partner ,parent,sister,brother..............Never forget this.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Brabazone

Two years ago my brother was involved in an accident when the bus he was driving was hit by a car on the wrong side of the road. The girl driving the car was killed on the spot.

Last year during the summer I was driving home from a day out when I saw a motorcyclist do a wheelie about 150 yards long down the road at the exact same spot this accident happened. He was so far back on the back wheel that he had to look down the side of the bike to see where he was going. Its the like of these people that manage to f**k it up for us all.:mad:

Its not just cage users that need to be responsible its bikers as well. Some of the crap we do on our bikes is crazy, me included, sometimes we forget the dangers. This is why we need better safety education and training for all road users.

Riding a bike will never be as safe as driving a cage but at the same time we could save so many lives if we all were a little more responsible.

Brabazone wrote: »
    Two years ago my brother was involved in an accident when the bus he was driving was hit by a car on the wrong side of the road. The girl driving the car was killed on the spot.

Last year during the summer I was driving home from a day out when I saw a motorcyclist do a wheelie about 150 yards long down the road at the exact same spot this accident happened. He was so far back on the back wheel that he had to look down the side of the bike to see where he was going. Its the like of these people that manage to f**k it up for us all.:mad:

Its not just cage users that need to be responsible its bikers as well. Some of the crap we do on our bikes is crazy, me included, sometimes we forget the dangers. This is why we need better safety education and training for all road users.

Riding a bike will never be as safe as driving a cage but at the same time we could save so many lives if we all were a little more responsible.
    My point exacly Braba.....fair play to you,and sorry to hear the troubles your brother had.
    I saw one of my best friends killed by a lorry ,he came of in the corner where a other cager lost oil and came of his bike and got court under the back wells of the trailer,never forgot this site ever in my live,still have nightmares about it and its 14 years ago.
    to be honest that was the main reason a stoped riding the bike........
    you see i had two lucky escapes ,but two write ofs all the same.
    :eek:

Sorry to here about your friend. Have seen so many of people I know lose there lives on bikes it still frightens me to get on my own bike, but I love riding them and once in gets into you blood its impossible to get it out of you system.

Three of my close neighbours killed by there own stupidity in the last 20 years. Best friend kill 15 years ago, again because of his own reckless driving.

I think its good for us to remember them and how they lost there lives because it reminds us how vunruble we are as road users.

It teaches us restraint.

Sorry to here about your friend. Have seen so many of people I know lose there lives on bikes it still frightens me to get on my own bike, but I love riding them and once in gets into you blood its impossible to get it out of you system.

Three of my close neighbours killed by there own stupidity in the last 20 years. Best friend kill 15 years ago, again because of his own reckless driving.

I think its good for us to remember them and how they lost there lives because it reminds us how vunruble we are as road users.

It teaches us restraint.

Yes it will ,thats why i am the way i am ,i know its hard to understand i know ,but as i said ,still having night mares ,so i figured safe is safe ,do it the proper way like any one else ,i know there are a lot of people who dont understand ,but hey i hope there never will have to.
    Losing a friend and loved one hurts forever and i would not wish that feeling to anyone .
    stupidity kills as well as speed and show offs .
    let us all remember ones in a while ,every one of us could be next,its just the good bike gear and our fragile bodys.
    Not much is it.

Well, during the BikeSafe Assessment I did with the Garda in October last year (FYI: it's great - it's free - it's 10% off insurance with Adelaide - do it!) the stats showed that most motorcycle deaths are single vehicle accidents, i.e. the rider only. They also showed that the majority occured at the week-end, on B-roads (or "back roads") and on bends (mostly left hand bends where the inexperienced rider loses it and ends up in the wrong lane...).

So it's not always the cagers that cause the accidents.

However, I had one single road accident on the bike and it was a white van taking me out from behind so I guess they could do with more training! :D

I'm not saying I haven't seen bikers do stupid things. But at least you are fully aware on the bike of the risk you are taking. As both a biker and car driver I would say outside of the young racer crowd, the standard of driving is horrendous in this craphole and the sheer stupidity of the stuff I have seen car drivers do that posed a huge risk to other road users is amazing.

Not showing off, not popping wheelies, just day to day driving. That's where the real danger is to me. If we could improve that, with the quality of the good driving conditions we have here I don't see why accidents would not decrease drasticly.

How many people in this country were handed their license with no test?

• Advertisement

I'm not saying I haven't seen bikers do stupid things. But at least you are fully aware on the bike of the risk you are taking. As both a biker and car driver I would say outside of the young racer crowd, the standard of driving is horrendous in this craphole and the sheer stupidity of the stuff I have seen car drivers do that posed a huge risk to other road users is amazing.

Not showing off, not popping wheelies, just day to day driving. That's where the real danger is to me. If we could improve that, with the quality of the good driving conditions we have here I don't see why accidents would not decrease drasticly.

How many people in this country were handed their license with no test?
    When you put it THAT way I FULLY agree with you!

Having the Garda on every "safe" road (dual carriageway with centre divider with a speed limit of 60km/h) with speed guns shafting you for going 70km/h is not going to save any lifes IMO... :rolleyes:

More training for all before a License is given (20 hours at the very least!). Ban of Provisional Licenses (that's a bloody joke if you ask me). Better roads! Why do we all pay Road Tax when every road in the country is like a motorcross track!?!?!

There is so much that could be done to save lifes in fairness...

Well, during the BikeSafe Assessment I did with the Garda in October last year (FYI: it's great - it's free - it's 10% off insurance with Adelaide - do it!) the stats showed that most motorcycle deaths are single vehicle accidents, i.e. the rider only. They also showed that the majority occured at the week-end, on B-roads (or "back roads") and on bends (mostly left hand bends where the inexperienced rider loses it and ends up in the wrong lane...).

So it's not always the cagers that cause the accidents.

However, I had one single road accident on the bike and it was a white van taking me out from behind so I guess they could do with more training! :D

Want to do that Garda course, what the story with it, where can you do it?

When you put it THAT way I FULLY agree with you!

Having the Garda on every "safe" road (dual carriageway with centre divider with a speed limit of 60km/h) with speed guns shafting you for going 70km/h is not going to save any lifes IMO... :rolleyes:

More training for all before a License is given (20 hours at the very least!). Ban of Provisional Licenses (that's a bloody joke if you ask me). Better roads! Why do we all pay Road Tax when every road in the country is like a motorcross track!?!?!

There is so much that could be done to save lifes in fairness...

The Gardai traffic corps in my eyes are nothing but a revenue generating machine. Speed traps on safe clear roads away from pedestrian centres, checkpoints for tax+green diesel. I have only seen them catch two other people, one of whom had to hit the gardai car to attract his attention to the horrendous driving. I did break my hole laughing all the way home with that one.

Road Tax is a tax. It has nothing to do with upkeep of our roads. That's solely in the budget of the councils, who as we all know have great staff and work hard for their money. Sadly....

I want a proper driving testing and training introduced and I want it on car users mostly. You can do damage in any car, I'm sick of young males getting the blame for all the crap driving. If everybody did basic things like checking mirrors and indicating before turning you would see a huge decrease in road accidents.

On a side note to above, there is a lovely stretch of road within the N81 coming into Templeouge. Its opposite the Cheverstown centre. Really bad spot, lots of rear ends and pedestrian strikes. They love their speed checks there, you can lose your licence on that stretch of road.

Funny thing is though, its pretty obvious why. Its a 60kph to 50kph zone right on the blackspot, on a downhill. Every single car driver spends their entire time looking at their speedo and not the road. This is the kind of stupidity of the Irish system that makes my head hurt sometimes.

Want to do that Garda course, what the story with it, where can you do it?
    I remember completing a form and sending it by post to Dublin Castle IIRC (that's the only place in Ireland where BikeSafe takes place).

They don't do it during the winter so I think that's why the website is down at present... And with the recession they might decide to scrap it altogether... :(

The Gardai traffic corps in my eyes are nothing but a revenue generating machine. Speed traps on safe clear roads away from pedestrian centres, checkpoints for tax+green diesel. I have only seen them catch two other people, one of whom had to hit the gardai car to attract his attention to the horrendous driving. I did break my hole laughing all the way home with that one.

Road Tax is a tax. It has nothing to do with upkeep of our roads. That's solely in the budget of the councils, who as we all know have great staff and work hard for their money. Sadly....

I want a proper driving testing and training introduced and I want it on car users mostly. You can do damage in any car, I'm sick of young males getting the blame for all the crap driving. If everybody did basic things like checking mirrors and indicating before turning you would see a huge decrease in road accidents.

On a side note to above, there is a lovely stretch of road within the N81 coming into Templeouge. Its opposite the Cheverstown centre. Really bad spot, lots of rear ends and pedestrian strikes. They love their speed checks there, you can lose your licence on that stretch of road.

Funny thing is though, its pretty obvious why. Its a 60kph to 50kph zone right on the blackspot, on a downhill. Every single car driver spends their entire time looking at their speedo and not the road. This is the kind of stupidity of the Irish system that makes my head hurt sometimes.
    If you were a politician I'd vote for you! Everything you say makes perfect sense to me (and others I'm sure)! Why can't our government, councils think like that? Seems so simple... :rolleyes:

Advertisement