Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Lambretta

Options
  • 21-02-2009 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I am working in the city and I need to meet clients all over the city throughout the day. The walking is killing me and since I am in a suit I dont want to use a push bike (considering any pair of school trousers I had as a child were ripped on the right leg).

I love the look of old Lambrettas (ala quadrophenia!) and I was thinking about getting something similar. Firstly, does anyone have any advice on this? Is it practical? Secondly, I assume the way things are that I could go to England and pick on of these up "cheap as chips", anyone have any advice on that?

Finally, any other advice you would have for a complete bike virgin woudl be appreciated. If I am going the wrong way completely and I should be thinking of a solid bike let me know.

Thanks,

Engrish.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Hiya Engrish,
    have you considered a Vespa PX125 instead? For day to day riding it would be a bit more user friendly that a Lambretta while retaining that all important "Classic Mod" look. I own both and running a Lambretta is more akin to running a classic car from the 1960s. You won't find any cheap lambrettas in the UK anymore those days are over, many scooterists look to Italy, Spain and Vietnam for them now and even then they aren't cheap for a basic old bike that needs restoring. Have a look at http://www.southsidescooters.com/Home.html he sells old and new vespas and lambrettas from about €1000 upwards.

Check out the VCI website below for more info on scooters. I think there are 2 or 3 vespas for sale going cheap at the moment!

Oh yeah, there will be a good few classic and custom scooters on display at the RDS Bikeshow next week!

safe scootin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I'd agree Tomohawk. A Lambo is the classic scoot, but if you want day to day reliability, get a Vespa.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Thanks guys. Do you still wear all the gear when you are going around the city or would you be okay with just a helmet on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

engrish? wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Do you still wear all the gear when you are going around the city or would you be okay with just a helmet on?

It all depends on how attached you are to your skin and limbs. Don't buy into the ethos that scooter riders only need a certain amount of protection. They're just as prone to accidents and collisions as the rest of the biking fraternity.

I really wouldn't suggest driving around the city in your suit and a helmet. The suit will offer absolutely no protection when you come off. Notice that i said "when" and not "if", it will happen its just a matter of time. Happens to the best of us , you just need to be prepared.

KTRIC wrote: »
    It all depends on how attached you are to your skin and limbs. Don't buy into the ethos that scooter riders only need a certain amount of protection. They're just as prone to accidents and collisions as the rest of the biking fraternity.

I really wouldn't suggest driving around the city in your suit and a helmet. The suit will offer absolutely no protection when you come off. Notice that i said "when" and not "if", it will happen its just a matter of time. Happens to the best of us , you just need to be prepared.

"when".... Thank you for that!

In that case is it not better just to go for a motorbike, I would assume they are better for negotiating traffic etc?

I love bikes too so I am just lookinig for the best option really....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭mountain

here are a company in vietnam! that refurbish and sell classic mopeds.

http://www.groupharrington.com/shoppingcart/curstock.asp

I bought a set of volvo bumprs from them, and they are very good quality.
    Other than that i know nothing of them.

Hope it helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

They're called scooters not mopeds mountian, there is a difference! ;)

The engine on most classic scooters is tucked away behind panels so they're a bit cleaner on clothing (protective or not) than most motorbikes that are chain driven. That said you could of course buy a shaft driven motorbike, cheapest option being a 2nd hand yamaha virago 535.

Be very very wary of buying any scooter from Vietnam. Do your research on english scooter forums before you consider buying a bike from the far east. Parts are one thing and the lads over in Vietnam aren't bad at making them but a complete bike, well you have been warned! Have a look at http://scootrs.com/ they have a good reputation. I'd buy Irish or UK first though! Also try look for a PX200cc vespa so you can sit your full Irish "A" bike licence test on it, (can't on px125, which means renting a seperate foot geared motorbike from a driving school and mastering them gears and the different handling of that bike compared to the vespa for the test.)

PS. Wear safety gear, at least leather gloves, fullface helmet and armoured jacket for city driving or else just take taxis in your suit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭freshcream

Lambrettas are really only for collectors, the vespa would do the job just as well. However modern vespas are a bit ugly, where as lambrettas are really beautiful if done right at least mine is anyway:p even it is fairly unreliable:o
    engrish? wrote: »
    Hey,

I am working in the city and I need to meet clients all over the city throughout the day. The walking is killing me and since I am in a suit I dont want to use a push bike (considering any pair of school trousers I had as a child were ripped on the right leg).

I love the look of old Lambrettas (ala quadrophenia!) and I was thinking about getting something similar. Firstly, does anyone have any advice on this? Is it practical? Secondly, I assume the way things are that I could go to England and pick on of these up "cheap as chips", anyone have any advice on that?

Finally, any other advice you would have for a complete bike virgin woudl be appreciated. If I am going the wrong way completely and I should be thinking of a solid bike let me know.

Thanks,

Engrish.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Wheeker

Be very careful buying a Lambretta from Vietnam! If you have look through the Lambretta forums there are plenty of horror stories, and the company above is mentioned a lot! :eek:

I have a '67 Lambretta originally from Vietnam that I have more or less had to replace the entire engine on. It's a labour of love & a hobby more than a practical means of transport. :rolleyes:

I also have a '06 Vespa GTs250 which is very reliable & fantastic for getting around town on. Also, being an auto it's a easier riding than a motorbike.

Whatever you get- get the protective gear. No matter what you're riding, if you fall off- it will hurt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭freshcream

Wheeker wrote: »
    Be very careful buying a Lambretta from Vietnam! If you have look through the Lambretta forums there are plenty of horror stories, and the company above is mentioned a lot! :eek:

I have a '67 Lambretta originally from Vietnam that I have more or less had to replace the entire engine on. It's a labour of love & a hobby more than a practical means of transport. :rolleyes:

Any pics of that lammy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

a Vespa owner myself, and having previously restored a Lambretta belonging to my wife (Servetta, actually.......), all I can say is........don't !

Unless you're interested/willing/able to fix things, a modern scooter is what you want. New Vespa's are very good.

You haven't mentioned insurance or licence, so, tbh, start there. If you are prepared to go through lessons and a test, by all means look at everything...........but if you're not, then, realistically, you're looking at a Moped below 50cc. Nothing wrong with those, mind, but you can use your car licence and no test involved.

As other posters here on boards.ie have found out to their cost lately, buying the machine is the easy part, it's the paperwork that'll kill you :(

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    a Vespa owner myself, and having previously restored a Lambretta belonging to my wife (Servetta, actually.......), all I can say is........don't !

Unless you're interested/willing/able to fix things, a modern scooter is what you want. New Vespa's are very good.

You haven't mentioned insurance or licence, so, tbh, start there. If you are prepared to go through lessons and a test, by all means look at everything...........but if you're not, then, realistically, you're looking at a Moped below 50cc. Nothing wrong with those, mind, but you can use your car licence and no test involved.

As other posters here on boards.ie have found out to their cost lately, buying the machine is the easy part, it's the paperwork that'll kill you :(

Thanks and thanks to everyone. Yeah I will have to think about this, it will come down to brass tax in the end!

Advertisement