Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC -> eVision

• 20-01-2015 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

We currently have upc with sky sports. How good is evision?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Moved to cable

OP if you have Sky Sports the key thing to remember is that eVision only has the Wholesale Must Offer channels, Sky Sports 1 & 2. That'll be okay if the Premier League is the only thing you're interested in but if you're a lover of European football, golf or NFL (though that's pretty much over for this year) you'll be out of luck. And they won't have Sky's GAA coverage.

Their basic channel line up is weaker than UPC though they do have a couple of the UKTV channels that UPC for whatever reason has never been able to get (I mean, if they have been able to negotiate carriage for Gold and Dave, why not Watch?)

Can't comment on what their STB or EPG is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jogdish

Hi,
    Currently have Broadband ( efibre ) and landline with eircom, and TV with UPC ( basic pack ).
    Thinking of moving everything to eircom, i.e tv,phone and internet as they have offered me a decent price.

My question, anything I should be aware of for evision TV over UPC basic ? Is the box any worse or better? The remote ? Will I still get free HD on RTE's and BBC's even though i don't pay for it - like i currently do with my UPC? Anything else I should be aware of?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

jogdish wrote: »
    Hi,
    Currently have Broadband ( efibre ) and landline with eircom, and TV with UPC ( basic pack ).
    Thinking of moving everything to eircom, i.e tv,phone and internet as they have offered me a decent price.

My question, anything I should be aware of for evision TV over UPC basic ? Is the box any worse or better? The remote ? Will I still get free HD on RTE's and BBC's even though i don't pay for it - like i currently do with my UPC? Anything else I should be aware of?

eVision will cause your eFibre profile to change, which will net a reduction of about 15% on your current max broadband speeds capable.
    It will also further consume bandwidth while you are actually watching/recording TV, 4Mb for SD, 9Mb for HD.

Box is OK, channel changes are quick, one major annoyance is series link records every occurrence of a programme including repeats rather than just the new episodes. This has knock on effect of makes it difficult to work around recording clashes because if you try schedule in e.g. an early morning repeat of a programme with series link in order to avoid a prime time clash, it tries schedule the prime time clash in as well and you're back to square one.

RTÉ HD is free, if your line can support, but BBC HD is extra €5 per month.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jogdish wrote: »
    Hi,

To be honest, you might be better off going in the opposite direction, getting TV, phone and broadband all off UPC.

UPC easily have the best broadband and phone in Ireland.

If you call them up I'm certain they will match or even better Eircoms offer. That is assuming broadband from UPC is available in your area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭SuperO'B

bk wrote: »
    To be honest, you might be better off going in the opposite direction, getting TV, phone and broadband all off UPC.

UPC easily have the best broadband and phone in Ireland.

If you call them up I'm certain they will match or even better Eircoms offer. That is assuming broadband from UPC is available in your area.

The horizon box is horrific though. I can't stand the damn thing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

SuperO'B wrote: »
    The horizon box is horrific though. I can't stand the damn thing.

Maybe, but eVision certainly isn't any better!

The best option if they are available is UPC for phone + BB and Sky sat for TV. Surprisingly that isn't any more expensive then getting a bundle!

Advertisement