Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*TY OFF-TOPIC THREAD* 2014/2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Where do they have their part time jobs?

Generally in store rooms in Supermarkets, sweeping, stacking shelves and taking out rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

Hi Lads. Long time, no post . :D

Would any of ye have any suggestions as to where I could go for work experience in Limerick ?

I'm interested in pretty much everything except medicine .

I do have a particular interest in Accounting,Economics and Business .

I have tried practically all the accounting firms in Limerick and have had no reply.

I'm looking for somewhere quick as I'm doing work experience next month :O

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

nanook5 wrote: »
    Hi Lads. Long time, no post . :D

Would any of ye have any suggestions as to where I could go for work experience in Limerick ?

I'm interested in pretty much everything except medicine .

I do have a particular interest in Accounting,Economics and Business .

I have tried practically all the accounting firms in Limerick and have had no reply.

I'm looking for somewhere quick as I'm doing work experience next month :O

As far as I know all of the big accounting firms in limerick take TYs on for work experience. However you'll most likely need a connection to get into any of them as the places are in high demand. I know some people were saying at the start of the year that one of the big five were interviewing TYs for places. So my advice would be start looking for a connection.

Bored_lad wrote: »
    As far as I know all of the big accounting firms in limerick take TYs on for work experience. However you'll most likely need a connection to get into any of them as the places are in high demand. I know some people were saying at the start of the year that one of the big five were interviewing TYs for places. So my advice would be start looking for a connection.

Will do cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭ElmW13

Anyone heading to Young Scientist? I'm going with my friend who got accepted. I didn't - lack of originality or something like that anyways

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

ElmW13 wrote: »
    Some people in my year went to local hotels for the week, from what I heard, most of them got part time jobs afterwards.

I might do this in my local hotel. A part time job afterwards would be great for me.

Anyone heading to Young Scientist? I'm going with my friend who got accepted. I didn't - lack of originality or something like that anyways

Yep . My class is just going to look I think :D

5 different groups of students from our year group entered projects for the young scientist...not one was accepted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

As far as I know; nobody from our school entered. :D
    Think they're only taking 2nd and 5th year Phys/Chem/Bio students to go look from our school.

There was a joke between me and my friend. She didn't really want to do it and she came up with the idea at break time so she wouldn't get in trouble. We were always saying that she would end up being the only one accepted and it came true...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

There was a joke between me and my friend. She didn't really want to do it and she came up with the idea at break time so she wouldn't get in trouble. We were always saying that she would end up being the only one accepted and it came true...

If that was me I would be absolutely sickened! :L

My school refused to take TYs to the Young Scientist- it's not like these educational field trips are an integral part of TY or anything...:L

Got our subject choice forms for fifth year today; talk about depressing :(

One major positive of TY for me was delaying the filling out of that form for as long as possible, and then they choose our year to be the year where the forms are given out about a month earlier than normal :confused:

Got our subject choice forms for fifth year today; talk about depressing :(

One major positive of TY for me was delaying the filling out of that form for as long as possible, and then they choose our year to be the year where the forms are given out about a month earlier than normal :confused:

We don't get ours until March. :D when do you have to have it filled in by?

End of February I think.

Was just wondering how do most people go about getting work experience placements. Would it be phone calls, emails or actually popping in to the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭VG31

Was just wondering how do most people go about getting work experience placements. Would it be phone calls, emails or actually popping in to the place.

I organised my work experience by email but for the Gaisce I rang the charity shop I volunteered in.

VG31 wrote: »
    I organised my work experience by email but for the Gaisce I rang the charity shop I volunteered in.

where did you get your work experience by email?

Lost our last concern debate by a margin :( we were against a group of four lads and I suppose their ability to fill the room was in the favour - the adjudicators said their salesmanship won it. Unfortunately we didn't even get a point, it was down to two adjudicators and it's galling when you have eight points and you beat the school who won two years ago, that that extra push could have won it for us... :(

How are the rest of ye getting on?

Lost our last concern debate by a margin :( we were against a group of four lads and I suppose their ability to fill the room was in the favour - the adjudicators said their salesmanship won it. Unfortunately we didn't even get a point, it was down to two adjudicators and it's galling when you have eight points and you beat the school who won two years ago, that that extra push could have won it for us... :(

How are the rest of ye getting on?

We drew in our third debate (the Scottish one)! So that brought our total points to 7.5. Then the school we were against for our final debate (climate change) decided to forfeit giving us the three points as a walk-over. I am going to be so annoyed if we don't get through to the play-offs now!

In other news- I have been home sick all week dying a slow death of cold/flu and nausea...:(

We drew in our third debate (the Scottish one)! So that brought our total points to 7.5. Then the school we were against for our final debate (climate change) decided to forfeit giving us the three points as a walk-over. I am going to be so annoyed if we don't get through to the play-offs now!

In other news- I have been home sick all week dying a slow death of cold/flu and nausea...:(

10.5 was the cut off point last year so you have a good chance. I suppose we kinda of assumed that because we had beaten the other team, we would have a fair chance at the team we had:(

Hope you get better soon :)

• Advertisement

Was just wondering, do a lot of yous or other TY people take many days of school and just don't bother coming in some days due to the inactivity or importance shall I say of some days in school. I've noticed a couple in my year seeming to be doing this

Was just wondering, do a lot of yous or other TY people take many days of school and just don't bother coming in some days due to the inactivity or importance shall I say of some days in school. I've noticed a couple in my year seeming to be doing this

A few people in my year do that, or they'd come in and leave before the afternoon classes and go uptown. Some of the stories you'd hear back are just so pointless

A few people in my year do that, or they'd come in and leave before the afternoon classes and go uptown. Some of the stories you'd hear back are just so pointless

About half of my year will use any excuse to get downtown, go to a café, loiter around businesses, post it all to snapchat, and repeat.

They are so unhappy, and are the individuals most likely to turn around at the end of the year and label transition year as a waste of time.

I mean, our school is based in a small ruralish town, not many facilities, one or two cafes, that's it! It is beyond me how they kill hours upon end dossing.

Don't get me wrong, dossing is a vital element of TY, but it shouldn't be dossing entirely .

Does the novelty not wear off for some people or what?

About half of my year will use any excuse to get downtown, go to a café, loiter around businesses, post it all to snapchat, and repeat.

They are so unhappy, and are the individuals most likely to turn around at the end of the year and label transition year as a waste of time.

I mean, our school is based in a small ruralish town, not many facilities, one or two cafes, that's it! It is beyond me how they kill hours upon end dossing.

Don't get me wrong, dossing is a vital element of TY, but it shouldn't be dossing entirely .

Does the novelty not wear off for some people or what?

Our schools kinda in the same setting. One story I heard was that they had a canoe and two of them went out on the lagoon in front of the school during lunch. Some of the other stories are probably not safe to repeat.

One boy got kicked out of irish when he locked the teacher out of the room but tbh none of them really have any respect for her

It's common enough in my year and I know that I have been tempted to just not bother going into school a couple of times because of how pointless the classes are but I have always decided not to just in case I need the days back (and I actually do need the sick days now- tomorrow is my fourth day in a row out sick :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Msrebeckyxo

Yes! It's so irritating to see too because I mean, their parents paid 200 euros to go into transition year and they're just wasting it.
    We had a trip a few weeks ago that the school paid for and because it was the day before Christmas holidays, only 50 went, there's around 130 in our year.
    The school said if we don't get our act together, they're done with the trips :( ruining it for the rest of us:(

Our school have threaten to cut activites if the lads don't cop themselves on too :(

Sweet mother that was a bad week...

Only ten students in TY today on account of a school trip. As almost punishment for not forking out €1000 over the past few months in order to go on the trip (italy) we were left in a computer lab, completely unsupervised, for the first half of the day and then thrown into a fifth year LCVP class for the evening.

Small price to pay I suppose

One class in our year are atrocious - today they got given out to by our year head, our principal, their English teacher and their sphe teacher told them they were not nice and the worst class in the school and that no one wants to teach them.

They have locked a teacher out of her classroom, annoy nearly every teacher with their messing and tbh they're almost getting worse.

• Advertisement

Sweet mother that was a bad week...

Only ten students in TY today on account of a school trip. As almost punishment for not forking out €1000 over the past few months in order to go on the trip (italy) we were left in a computer lab, completely unsupervised, for the first half of the day and then thrown into a fifth year LCVP class for the evening.

Small price to pay I suppose

That's awful! :( they do the same in our school if you don't go on the end of year camping trip- which is utterly unfair, especially when you consider just how expensive TY is, meaning that by the time we reach May, many people are simply not going to be able to afford to pay €200 to go camping!

TY has been a major disappointment since Christmas- we have had the grand total of three workshops. We go on work experience after the midterm though so it works out that we only have three weeks in school from midterm to Easter! :D Apparently the few weeks after Easter are the best all year so hopefully things will pick up after that!

How has TY been for everyone else since Christmas?

Advertisement