Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problems with the new Renault Megane keycard

Options
  • 05-11-2009 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I bought the new Renault Megane (III) this summer and it has been a great car except for one thing, the colder it gets outside the worse the keycards works, I can sometime barely open the door with them, I have to try a lot on a short distance from car, now when its so cold that there is snow its a nightmare with the car.

I have tried both my keycards.

I have also let the dealer check my car and keycards, the first time they put in new batteries in the keycards and this time nothing because they can't find anything wrong but they believe me and there we are now, they cant do anything and I dont know how to proceed, I only wanna solve a problem and nothing else.

I appreciate for any kind of tip :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Is the problem constant, ie have they seen it themselves at the dealership? If so, they have no option but to fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Roxpace

They did see it the first time that it was serious and suddenly all was working fine for them after changing keycard batteries.

This time they cant get any problem, probably because these two days havent been cold enough outside except for tonite.

They admit they have to fix it maybe, but even Renault doesn't have any similar case since earlier so neither of them knows how to solve it since they need some problem to troubleshoot, maybe even a computer error.

For me it feels that as colder the car gets, the worse the keycards works, maybe power/battery related ? The car it self starts almost perfectly, but maybe the locking mechanism have some kind of extra battery and that could be bad ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Rev. BlueJeans

Funny that both batteries are affected. A bad/semi expired batch perhaps?

They are only little button cells iirc. Worth investing in a pair yourself, or even one, just to see, unless there's a reprogramming issue when you change the battery.

edit: If they're kept somewhere warm, outside temperature shouldn't be much of a factor on the card, but certainly on the car itself, which will have stood all night.

Just thinking "aloud" here.

I agree that its funny that both keycards are affected, thats why I more tend to think the car is the problem and not the keycards since it works less good the as colder the temperature gets.

I am always keeping the keycard in a pretty warm environment, but I was reading Renault's handbook and they said that other electronical devices could affect the keycard unlock/lock mechanism since they disturb the radio frequency, maybe modern cell phones ? I am always walking with two newer Sony-Ericssons in two other pockets with 3G and sometime bluetooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Try it out tonight without any phones in your pockets, see how you get on.;)

• Advertisement

I tried that too, I cant find any disturbing radio sources, still it would not make any logical conlusion since once I open the car when its cold it works fine to lock it and unlock it again, very weird.

I really hope someone have any great tip how to proceed in this.

Is it possible to re-sync the keycards with the car and if so, how in this Megane III model ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Welcome to Boards. Just note its not kosher to resurrect 4 year old threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 30rob

just realised that now. whoops

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please don't drag up old threads when you can start a fresh one and have all your questions answered there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement