Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S05E07 - The Gift - HAVE NOT READ the books

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Surely Bran makes him somewhat irrelevant? I'm assuming Bran has a large part to play yet.

Dunno, Bran's story seems really supernatural. Him ending up back being the head of Winterfell after discovering that he warg into people and animals would seem a bit bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

seligehgit wrote: »
    Speaking of which, what's happened to Varys?

He is still waiting for Tyrion to get out of the jacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭DeadHand

seligehgit wrote: »
    Speaking of which, what's happened to Varys?

Still on the road to Meereen to offer his services to Dany having lost Tyrion, I would assume.
    duploelabs wrote: »
    or thorys of myr (Drunk), or gendry (?), or bran and hodor, (away with the fairys... literally) or rickon and aysha (last seen heading to seek sanctuary with the Umbers ((firm Stark allies)))

Last we heard.

Surely Bran makes him somewhat irrelevant? I'm assuming Bran has a large part to play yet.

He does but more I think with the high fantasy elements (ice zombies, wargs, dragons).

Rickon may well become crucial to the political/military side when he does finally emerge. I can see him being used later on to rally the North to a side or even rallying it to his own cause of retaking Winterfell from whoever happens to be there when he comes of age. I can see Stannis happily allying with him in exchange for fealty, as he intended to do with Jon. Stannis' race may well be run before Rickon reappears though.

He'll be a formidable player in the future, especially under Umber tutelage. They'll quite likely make a badass of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

That was brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Stannis has a serious question to ask himself there, that is an intriguing plot, she really could have told him earlier of that requirement of blood to win the battle.

Tis interesting alright. could someone elaborate on this part of the episode for? why might it be benificial to kil shireen? also has the witch alternative motives or is she faithful to stannis?

ws a bit lost through that convrsation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭xper

Old Perry wrote: »
    Tis interesting alright. could someone elaborate on this part of the episode for? why might it be benificial to kil shireen? also has the witch alternative motives or is she faithful to stannis?

The red woman is big on sacrificing people with king's blood to her burning god in order to make the right visions come true. That's why she was gunning for Gendry a couple of series ago before Davos freed him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Old Perry wrote: »

As far as we know she is loyal to Stannis. Then again we don't know a hell of a lot about her either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭xper

I thought that Dornish girl was pretty hot before last night's episode, but holy christ! :D
    I've decided I'm prepared to overlook her dodgy fighting skills for now.

I've been amused by sight of Danerys and Margery holding the bed sheets over their boobs in their bedroom scenes. If the actresses don't want to go topless any more then that's absolutely their prerogative but do we have to have that old TV cliche?
    J. Marston wrote: »
    Thoros of Myr: Missing in action.
    Gendry: Row, row, row your boat...
    I reckon Gendry fell out of the boat within five minutes of Davos telling him not to!
    JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Stannis has a serious question to ask himself there, that is an intriguing plot, she really could have told him earlier of that requirement of blood to win the battle.
    Stannis: "Right Davos, no more plots, no more politics, no more deceit, no more grammatical errors, no more waiting. We march forward and attack. Nice and straightforward at last, just the way I like it."
    Melisandra: "You should kill your only child."
    Stannis: FFS!

Did anyone else cop that Danyres decree that the fighting pits should not use slaves was being blatantly ignored right in front of her?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

or thorys of myr, or gendry, or bran and hodor, or rickon and aysha

CFUEY89WYAIlBYy.png:large

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

xper wrote: »
    Did anyone else cop that Danyres decree that the fighting pits should not use slaves was being blatantly ignored right in front of her?
    The men were presented as willing fighters, plus they each seemed to have been given a "salary" (a paltry coin) so that technically they had been paid. I don't think Daenerys was looking too closely.

I was pretty disappointed with the scene with Tyene and Bronn. It felt like they were filling a boob quota more than anything else.

I thought it was interesting to hear Myrcella say that Sunspear had been her home for years. It was a good reminder that a lot of time has passed during the show.

I'm interested to see what Daenerys will make of Tyrion. I'm not too sure what use he is to her unless he decides to support her, in which case he'd be able to fill her in on the minutiae of politics in Westeros. I doubt she could ransom him or anything.

Shireen is definitely a hard limit for Ser Davos. If anything was ever going to make him go against Stannis, hurting Shireen would be it. However, I can't see Stannis allowing that to happen. He does seem to really love her. But I wouldn't trust his wife not to go behind his back - in a previous episode she said something about Shireen being a heathen or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

golfball37 wrote: »
    Daario in his pillow talk says to Khaleesi that she is marrying the leader of the Sons of Harpy and she doesn't blink, as though she knows this?

If this turns out to be true it was crucial info very casually arrived at or did I miss something??

I'm watching with subtitles:
    Daario goes "I think Sons of the Harpy have stopped killing because their leader was made king"
    Dany plays it off as Daario being jealous- Daario goes "Your right. My motivations are entirely impure. Doesn't make me wrong"
    Have feeling Dany not taking it too serious
    It was fairly obvious no? Remember when she threw one of the masters to her dragons, the other masters all knelt at Hizdahrs feet.
    I never noticed the other Masters kneeling to yer man when confronted.
    Had a look, and took a screenshot, I just assumed they were kneeling to Dany. Reason I thought Hizdar wasn't kneeling was because he wanted to look brave. Good spot though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭golfball37

Speaking of missing in action, where is the Blackfish? Must be the longest wee in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

fsfg wrote: »
    [/SPOILER]

You are a horrible person. You have read the books and now you are over making predictions. I never understand people like you.

I have not read the books so I don't know but I seen your post history and you have been pushing this

My girlfriend told me we have caught up with Stannis. Anything about his future is a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

CFUEY89WYAIlBYy.png:large

Any room for The Blackfish Tully?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Also, Edmure Tully. Guessing he's still in a cell at Walder Frey's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

J. Marston wrote: »
    Also, Edmure Tully. Guessing he's still in a cell at Walder Frey's.

Wouldn't imagine so, I'd say he was stabby stabby'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

How did the 3 of the Sand Snakes end up behind bars?
    I thought 2 of the 3 had got away with Myrcella and were comitted to avenging Oberyns death?

Surprised that they gave her up so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Wouldn't imagine so, I'd say he was stabby stabby'd.

Roose or Walder mentioned he was in the dungeon for his wedding night
    Haven't heard anything since so guessing he still there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

wp_rathead wrote: »
    I never noticed the other Masters kneeling to yer man when confronted.
    Had a look, and took a screenshot, I just assumed they were kneeling to Dany. Reason I thought Hizdar wasn't kneeling was because he wanted to look brave. Good spot though

I don't think they are kneeling to Hizdar but to Dany (who is beside him), begging for mercy

I too think he was just braver than the others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

rok wrote: »
    How did the 3 of the Sand Snakes end up behind bars?
    I thought 2 of the 3 had got away with Myrcella and were comitted to avenging Oberyns death?

Surprised that they gave her up so easily.

Nah they captured them all. No big bust up scene between Prince of Dorne and Oberyns bird. Would have thought that would feature this episode. Although they have only had about 3 minutes of screen time between them so I suppose we don't really care about them.

With regards to the Sand Snakes poisoning Bronn and then curing him, the way I read it was that your one always has her sword poisoned and was happy enough to let Bronn kick the bucket. But between his singing and charm she started to fall for him so gave him the antidote so she could get the ride later. I don't think it was a case of her character going "o I'll poison this lad and cure him later no matter what."

Tl;DR another pointless love story coming at us.

Did anyone else notice what Cersai said as they were taking her to the dungeons?
    She said "..but I'm the Queen!" - very telling - that's how she sees herself, even if she technically hasn't been in some time.
    I think she's an interesting character and I actually enjoy her - in the same way that I enjoyed Joffrey - they are almost as much to be pitied as hated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

But between his singing and charm she started to fall for him so gave him the antidote so she could get the ride later.

Story of my life that.

golfball37 wrote: »
    Speaking of missing in action, where is the Blackfish? Must be the longest wee in history.

Good question.

Either still holding out in Riverrun or, more likely, on the run. Though we know that Edmure is now a captive of the Freys and Walder is now the High Lord of the Riverlands and Lord of Riverrun it was never explicitly stated whether or not Riverrun itself was taken.

I'd like to see the Tullys and Freys return and their storylines continued. They are too good as characters and the actors portraying them are too good to be abandoned entirely.

I mean, surely they could cut out some of the many minutes of Sam in the library, Brienne staring moodily into the distance, Arya being an undertaker or some of the less necessary depravity to tie up some of the more interesting loose ends?

You have to appreciate the enormity of the show's task. Trying to condense such a massive, complex story. I still feel their rare and precious time is sometimes wasted slightly on long, pointless and dull scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

or thorys of myr

The actor who plays Thorys (Paul Kaye) popped up in Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell as the street magician Vinculus. Don't know whether his commitment to that series prevents him from appearing in the current run of GOT.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

chasmcb wrote: »
    The actor who plays Thorys (Paul Kaye) popped up in Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell as the street magician Vinculus. Don't know whether his commitment to that series prevents him from appearing in the current run of GOT.

They've made a series of Johnathan Strange & Mr Norrell? >_<

Is it BBC or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

What do ye reckon is the story with Daario? Telling Daenerys to slaughter all the masters was pretty out there. I don't trust him and I would wonder what he's trying to stir with statements like that.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They've made a series of Johnathan Strange & Mr Norrell? >_<

Is it BBC or what?

Yep, BBC 1. Sunday nights, They've shown 2 episodes, 5 more to go I think.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

chasmcb wrote: »
    Yep, BBC 1. Sunday nights, They've shown 2 episodes, 5 more to go I think.

Is it good? Been years since I read the book but always thought it was perfectly suited to a BBC series. (Sorry for the off topicness)

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is it good? Been years since I read the book but always thought it was perfectly suited to a BBC series. (Sorry for the off topicness)

Yes, it's worth checking out, some excellent visual effects like when Strange conjures up giant sand horses.

Advertisement