Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

S05E07 - The Gift - HAVE NOT READ the books

• 25-05-2015 6:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭

Poor Jorah. Haven't seen a rejection that bad
    since my Junior Cert results night.

Other things happened too.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

"The Gift" is the episode's title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thread renamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Terrible episode I thought, big waste of a tenth of a season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

ghogie91 wrote: »

Eh?! Thought it was savage episode!

Tyrion met up with Dany (who still banging Dario)
    Poor old Ser Friendzone can't catch a break
    Sam got the ride (rip Maester Eamon/ Hon Ghost)
    Poor old Shireen looks like gonna get sacrificed :(
    Can't see Davos letting it happen mind
    Bronn was poisoned like we expected, we gotta see boob- dunno if believe that the antidote is real
    Ramsay ups his Prick-Status: the poor old woman! Was just thinking when Theon was on the way to the tower with candle that it was tad predictable that he'd save her. Heart sank when Ramsay was having grub there. Looks like Sansa gonna have to wait for Stannis..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭jooksavage

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Eh?! Thought it was savage episode!

Tyrion met up with Dany (who still banging Dario)
    Poor old Ser Friendzone can't catch a break
    Sam got the ride (rip Maester Eamon/ Hon Ghost)
    Poor old Shireen looks like gonna get sacrificed :(
    Can't see Davos letting it happen mind
    Bronn was poisoned like we expected, we gotta see boob- dunno if believe that the antidote is real
    Ramsay ups his Prick-Status: the poor old woman! Was just thinking when Theon was on the way to the tower with candle that it was tad predictable that he'd save her. Heart sank when Ramsay was having grub there. Looks like Sansa gonna have to wait for Stannis..

Agreed! Great episode.

I've liked the way the good in Stannis' character has come through a lot more. I hope he doesn't squander his newfound likability by torching his kid! As above, no way Davos would allow that. Perhaps himself and Shireen will hit the road. Bit disappointed to see Ramsey flayed the old handmaiden. I was thinknig it'd be cool if all of the "smallfolk" in Winterfell were hatching a conspiracy against their new masters. There's no vengence like peasant vengence! Looks like it's up to Brienne now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

There's just no pleasing some! That was the best episode so far this season IMO.

Loved the bit when ghost saved Sam and Gilly. Had no idea how he was going to get out of that until he walked snarling around the corner.

What's going to happen with Tyrion and Daenereys? And Sansa? And Cersei?! Fierce exciting altogether!

There's just no pleasing some! That was the best episode so far this season IMO.

Loved the bit when ghost saved Sam and Gilly. Had no idea how he was going to get out of that until he walked snarling around the corner.

What's going to happen with Tyrion and Daenereys? And Sansa? And Cersei?! Fierce exciting altogether!

It was standard viewing at best

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Cersei's plan backfired badly, as everyone but her could see coming. It was awesome.

I hope we see more of Bronn singing in the next few episodes. He would be my favorite GOT character to go on the piss with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Jaysis, loads happened there,

Seen that backfiring on Cersei from a mile off :/ nice to see it actually happen though

Bronn is still around, and he can sing! :D

Should be interesting to see how Danerys deals with Jorah and Tryion next week

Sam Tarly got decked and then laid lol thought he was gonna be killed in that scene - that was a rotten barrage of punches he took

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Another bad episode, this show is becoming increasingly bad IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I enjoyed that. Cersei's plan has backfired as everyone but her knew it would. Empowering the peasants in a place like kings landing was always going to be dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

With Cersei now in pretty much exactly the same position as Margery, I wonder will Tommen find himself in a spot where he might have to choose which one lives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I haven't read the books (thus being in this thread) but i can't help but think that Dany is going to marry Tyrion. There's definitely something afoot, and i'm sure the people of Kings Landing would prefer Tyrion on the throne. Seeing as Cersei should be killed, along with Tommen and probably Myrcella (seeing as they are all bastards). I don't think Tyrion has a claim to the throne, but married to Dany he would be a powerful ally.

Be interesting to see how things play out at The Wall, with Jon gone, i can see yer man making things very different in his absence, and i can see him returning with the wildling army to chaos there. Jon will be the leader of the wildlings and the Nights Watch, and even though he'll probably lose a lot of the Nights Watchmen, his numbers will be more than bolstered with the wildlings. Wonder will Sam get in trouble though for riding yer one?

Poor aul Sansa, i honestly thought Theon would help, and maybe he still will, but i knew the minute he started climbing the stairs he was going straight to Ramsey. I'm hoping there's a long game here, and if/when he finally tells Sansa that he didn't kill her brothers, after she has managed to get his humanity back, i can see a big play. But i can also see her having him killed, or killing him.

No Arya this week, disappointing. Was hoping to see some more of her Faceless transformation. I'm sure we'll see more soon though.

Ser Jorah is fooked anyway, so I can't see anything other than a death bed acceptance for him from Dany, but she has proven she is cold at times, so who knows. Maybe the people of Mireen have some unknown/unheard of antidote?

And finally, Bronn. On the face of it, it seems strange for the show to actually bring a loved character back from certain death, but i'll hold my reservations. He's definitely going to bang yer one at some stage imo. What transpires from that, who knows. Maybe he'll start working with the Dawnish, help take revenge on the Lannisters, but only because he works for the highest bidder. Maybe he'll do it for love. Or maybe he'll just kill yer one.

Anyway, bring on the last few episodes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Probably the best episode of the season.

Reek is beyond saving. Hopefully Brienne drives a sword through his head.

Sansa gets a little ballsy and boom, slapped straight back down again :(.

Looks like they're going to kill Shireen. Nobody saw that coming.

Bad feeling that the Boltons are going to win the battle. The weather is in their favour and Stannis is doubting himself.

Littlefinger is brilliant. He can play anyone.

Tyene might not be able to fight but she has other talents. An amazing pair of talents.

The interactions between Cersei and Margaery are always fantastic.

Plus we got to see Ghost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

was that deano from love hate i saw when the two lads were trying to rape gilly ?

Will Stannis agree to Shireen being sacrificed or will this be the death of Davos saving her? Surely her history with greyscale will come into play with Jorah Mormont after he contracted it?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Messi19

ricero wrote: »
    was that deano from love hate i saw when the two lads were trying to rape gilly ?

Yes. Old mate of mine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

There's another dub who's one of the sparrows who raided littlefinger's brothel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Good episode. Reek/Theon you useless bastard!!!!!! Great to see Cersei getting her comeuppance. The timely arrival of Ghost to save Sam and the Dornish hottie giving Bronn the antidote were both cheap plot resolutions, and Tyrion having his chains sliced so he could scamper into the arena. Nevertheless, things are revving up. Fascinated to see how things will pan out with Stannis, his army and daughter.

• Advertisement

jooksavage wrote: »
    Maybe the greyscale will make her impervious to fire...? That disfigurement looks a bit like dragon scales...

Just blue-skying here!

I'm thinking Shireen might be far more important to the overall story than Stannis. George RR Martin is fond of turning apparent weaknesses into strengths. I'm wondering if her true potential will only be revealed if she survives the sacrificial pyre.

Dunno, she seems like a cheap character now. Nice, innocent child who had funny interactions with Davos and a heartwarming moment with Stannis while coping with an absolute bitch of a mother.

Show writers/George RR Martin: "Lets kill her, that'll upset everyone."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I dunno guys and gals but I'm having a crisis of confidence with this season (thus far).

It just feels a littler emptier then previous seasons, the tempo is off and they really are ramming way to much into 10 episodes.

Anyway, I will not jump the gun as there are 3 episodes left and we all know that GoT has the ability to to reel us all back in.

With regard to this episode, it was so/so. When Sam was getting the beat down I got the feeling something epic and unexpected was about to happen but it was quite an anti-climax, the climax came in the next scene I guess.

I've also never been more expecting of anything in GoT then Cersei being arrested by the sparrows BUT It does have me very interested to see what happens Tommen without mommy dearest.

Over all I think I'm just annoyed we have not as yet been treated to a slice of revenge.

P.S.

I think I speak for us all in saying ow much we miss The Hound. Every scene was absolutely fantastic with him in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I haven't read the books (thus being in this thread) but i can't help but think that Dany is going to marry Tyrion. There's definitely something afoot, and i'm sure the people of Kings Landing would prefer Tyrion on the throne. Seeing as Cersei should be killed, along with Tommen and probably Myrcella (seeing as they are all bastards). I don't think Tyrion has a claim to the throne, but married to Dany he would be a powerful ally.

Good a claim as any.

Cersei may be burned along with Tommen and Myrcella for your theory. Robert is long gone.

So there are no heirs and so it falls to Tommens uncles and Jamie cannot claim it.

Stannis on Roberts side of course has already claimed, no reason an uncle on the Queen Cersei's side cannot claim too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

It's not often that Olenna Tyrell fails to suss people out, the High Sparrow had her completely bamboozled!

Do we know the significance of her conversation with Littlefinger? Who is the 'gift' he is offering?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Who is the 'gift' he is offering?

A young boy he said

The young lad Lannister and the evidence he gave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

mikemac1 wrote: »
    A young boy he said

The young lad Lannister and the evidence he gave

But did Lancel not already confess all when he joined the sparrows? I'm sure it wasn't Little finger who 'gave' him to Cersei in the first seeing as they are cousins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

It was weird the way they tell us Bronn has been poisoned and then have him drink the anecdote 30 seconds later.. what was the point in that?

Either the pace this season is going really fast or something isn't over there. Probably the former.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

nm wrote: »
    It was weird the way they tell us Bronn has been poisoned and then have him drink the anecdote 30 seconds later.. what was the point in that?

Either the pace this season is going really fast or something isn't over there. Probably the former.
    I understand that a very effective means of psychologically dominating someone is to make them feel peril and then save them.

But I think it was just meant as some sort of titillation tbh.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm thinking that although Stannis is getting fed up with Melisandre's sh*t and believing that she's gone too far with the suggestion that Shireen be sacrificed, he'll actually go along with it to hopefully assure himself of victory at Winterfell. But I think that'll be too much for Davos and he'll kill Melisandre before Shireen is killed, possibly being killed in the process himself, as it's hard to see him continuing to follow Stannis after that anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

P.S.

I think I speak for us all in saying ow much we miss The Hound. Every scene was absolutely fantastic with him in it.

Hear Hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The series is nicely picking up speed to the last 3 episodes IMO.

Theres a lot going on, as always, but its all going the right way for some resolution by series end but also to leave a cliff hanger here and there.

Looking forward to see how it all plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

I understand that a very effective means of psychologically dominating someone is to make them feel peril and then save them.

But I think it was just meant as some sort of titillation tbh.

Yeah great titillations :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭internet_user

Best episode so far this season IMO, looking forward to next week to see what happens between Tyrion and Dany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I didn't think I would ever admit it but I'm missing brans storyline beyond the wall this season. It was finally getting interesting. Perhaps we may still see him by the last episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭kingshankly

It's not often that Olenna Tyrell fails to suss people out, the High Sparrow had her completely bamboozled!

Do we know the significance of her conversation with Littlefinger? Who is the 'gift' he is offering?

I would say little finger has gendry up his sleeve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

No Arya this week, disappointing. Was hoping to see some more of her Faceless transformation. I'm sure we'll see more soon though.

Gawd, Arya's story is about as dull as Bran's was last season. Her storyline has dragged so badly this season, following the promise of last season's finale. I realise I'm probably alone in that (GoT fans do seem to love Arya) she just does nothing for me at all.

Nice to see the smirk wiped off Cersei's face at last. Never cross Oleanna Tyrell bitch!! Will be interesting to see how Tommen copes with the two women in his life locked up and the High Sparrow becoming the most powerful man in King's Landing.

I'm so over Theon/Reek now. Unless he redeems himself soon, he can rot. Hopefully Sansa puts that corkscrew to good use soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

I would say little finger has gendry up his sleeve

Oh yeah, that guy. I'm glad I'm no the only one who didnt know who Littlefinger was referring too. At first I though the Arryn kid, but he's pretty useless to anyone, then I was wondering if he knows the two Stark boys are still alive.
    What good are any of these to Tyrells though?

Also, finally glad to have something even marginally interesting happen in the Danaerys storyline, even if we knew Tyrion was meeting her eventually.

Hopefully Meryn ****ing Trant runs in to Arya next time it goes back to here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'm guessing her poison, and the blade Sam gave Jon, are two big Chekov's Guns; they'll crop back up someway in the next few episodes.

Enjoyed that episode. Actually let a little cheer when Tyrion walked out and finally interacted with Dary. Finally she gets a little interaction with someone from the "main" cast :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'm guessing her poison, and the blade Sam gave Jon, are two big Chekov's Guns; they'll crop back up someway in the next few episodes.

And her tits?!?1???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Just watched 'thronecast'.

The lad who plays Tomin is next level annoying....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Was it just me that thought for a second it was Brienne that was flayed by Ramsay?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Just you I reckon. The thought never crossed my mind tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Zaph wrote: »
    I'm thinking that although Stannis is getting fed up with Melisandre's sh*t and believing that she's gone too far with the suggestion that Shireen be sacrificed, he'll actually go along with it to hopefully assure himself of victory at Winterfell. But I think that'll be too much for Davos and he'll kill Melisandre before Shireen is killed, possibly being killed in the process himself, as it's hard to see him continuing to follow Stannis after that anyway.

A trick she missed was burning old Maester Aemon. He had Kingsblood too-much better pedigree than the Baratheons or any of Robert's bastards. Guess it would've driven the Nights Watch crazy, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

It was standard viewing at best

Boo urns.

That episode was the best of the season! There has been no greater satisfaction than seeing Cersei being thrown in a cell!

Great to see ghost back too, even if it was just for a moment.

I guess there was no point to Sansa picking up what I thought was some sort of sharp object? Thought she may have went for Theon or Ramsey with it but that would have been foolish, maybe she's keeping it in her room waiting for the right moment?

The way things are going we may actually get some positive resolutions by the end of this season!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Great episode, Saw the tables being turned on Cersei a mile off but it was satisfying when it happened.

I am not 100% sure about Dario, seems a bit dodgy to me. I cant see him staying loyal. As said above, it was good to see Dany meet a member of the main cast. Looking forward to how that plays out.

I can see Stannis getting wiped out at Winterfell if he goes there with an under strength army, the Boltons have a big advantage now. Its pride and impatience that might be his downfall. I don't think he will sacrifice Shireen either, but then again you never know with GOT.

The Dorne scenes were a bit slow and went nowhere really, I was kind of hoping for a meeting between Jamie and Oberyns brother. Keeping Bronn alive obviously had a purpose, I wonder will he switch sides and help them capture Myrcella.

Really looking forward to the last three episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've also never been more expecting of anything in GoT then Cersei being arrested by the sparrows BUT It does have me very interested to see what happens Tommen without mommy dearest.

Oh you've just amde me think of something. With mammy and wifey in jail, who will it fall to to look after poor lonely in love Tommen? Why Auntie Olenna of course! So in one day, Olenna has gotten rid of Cersei and will possibly become the voice of reason behind Tommen, who may even convince Tommen that Cersei was the cause of it all, and he'll leave her to the wrath of the Faith Militant, while saving his darling wife!

That is why i love this show, it can go any number of ways!
    ...then I was wondering if he knows the two Stark boys are still alive.
    What good are any of these to Tyrells though?

Bran is a witness to Cersei and Jamie gettin it on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Bran is a witness to Cersei and Jamie gettin it on!

I thought Bran had no recollection of that ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I thought Bran had no recollection of that ?

Does it even matter anymore, tis such common knowledge now.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Reek standing there with that flayed woman hanging behind him was hands down one of the best framed and executed shots I have ever seen on TV.

That picture spoke so many words. A broken man, ashamed of himself, ashamed of what he has done, unable to break out of it. A symbol of death and torture in the background, slightly out of focus.

o2j4AdN.jpg

Hopefully it's foreshadowing for the bollocks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement