Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My hangover experiment

Options
  • 13-09-2010 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭

I've been experimenting with my drinking over the past few months to see if I can figure out what I can do to minimise hangovers.

I have discovered there are several factors which lead or prevent hangovers...
    1. Physical exertion
    2. Amount of liquids consumed
    3. Type of alcohol consumed
    4. Lack of sleep
    5. Quality of sleep
    6. Food
    7. Dehydration
    8. Withdrawl
    9. Caffeine
    I will go through each one now...

1. Physical exertion

Typically when I go out drinking I end up standing in a bar for about 5 or 6 hours. This itself is very tiring. I experimented going to the pub and not drinking alcohol but still stood in the corner with my friends for about 6 hours. The result? The next day I was shattered. It's not something you really think about but standing in the same spot for hours is physically demanding.

Result 1: Try to sit down for most of the evening and your hangover won't be as bad the next day. (Or at least, minimise the physical activity, including dancing!)

2. Amount of liquids consumed

I had read that it's the amount of peeing you do which causes hangovers (something along the lines of pissing out all the salt in your body or something like that). So I experimented with large amounts of low alcohol beer and small amounts of high alcohol spirits.

Result 2: Drinking less liquids reduces the severity of the hangover.

3. Type of alcohol consumed

I also read something about certain types of alcohol being bad for hangovers. In a nutshell, the more "pure" the alcohol the easier the hangover. So vodka would be better than beer, etc. My experiments confirmed this was true.

Result 3: Stick to drinks like vodka and rum. This ties in nicely with (2) above.

4. Lack of sleep

I spent a lot of time experimenting with this one. In particular I combined it with (1) above. Physically exerting yourself and then sleeping for about 6 hours or thereabouts results in symptoms similar to a hangover.

Result 4: A large part of a hangover is simply tiredness.

5. Quality of sleep

I was surprised by this one. I experimented by getting a bad nights sleep (sleeping on the ground) and a good nights sleep (cosy bed) after a night of drinking.

Result 5: A bad nights sleep minimises your hangover.

Yep, you read that right. The worse the sleep the easier the hangover. My conclusion on this is the bad nights sleep is sort of like staying awake so your hangover can't form properly.

6. Food

I experimented drinking on an empty stomach, a full stomach, eating while drinking, and pigging out after drinking. We all know food affects the strength of your hangover (i.e. the less food the worse the hangover.) But what I found best was...

Result 6: Eat during your drinking.

I found this made it harder to get drunk (I was able to consume a lot more alcohol and not get as drunk) but it definitely does great things for preventing hangovers.

7. Dehydration

This one was also surprising. I experimented drinking water between drinks and drinking a load of water before bed. Neither seemed to really make a difference.

Result 7: Drinking water is good for curing dry mouth but won't prevent your hangover.

8. Withdrawl

I found this one particularly difficult, because my body really rejects alcohol when I'm hungover, but I found the ol' hair of the dog works wonders.

Result 8: A drink when hungover lessens the pain.

9. Caffeine

I have no explanation for this one, but I've found a coffee greatly helps cure a hangover headache. I know coffee dehydrates you, but it really helps me.

Result 9: Drink a coffee the next morning.

So to put it all together...

When in the pub, make sure you have a seat, drink clean alcohol like vodka and try to minimise the amount of liquids you drink (i.e. drink shots instead of beer). Eat food throughout the night, and don't worry too much about getting a great nights sleep or consuming a load of water. Caffeine and a little bit of alcohol will help level you out the next day.

That's just my experience. Maybe yours is different.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

After many years of hangovers, and recovery times taking longer and longer, I found the only way was to minimise it by 100% & stop drinking:(

Nevertheless, your post is interesting....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I'd love to go for a pint with you. It sounds like great fun.

But a lot of it makes sense !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

If I eat while drinking and have a soft drink or glass of water in between alcoholic drinks I am normally much better.

Red wine hangovers are always the worst, no mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

I read the whole thing OP (srs)

not srs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

wine gives me a much worse hangover than drinking pints all night so i would have to disagree with number 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I shall try your theory but I think the drinking vodka instead of beer is the main one - that's why teenage girls never get hangovers - because they only drink vodka on a night out.. while lads like me get hammered on beer and die the next day...

makes sense I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭clikityclak

Meh... don't know if I'd be for sleeping on the ground after a night on the vodka, bed is way more comfy :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Never got hangovers from drinking, not the headache kind, only tiredness

is "withdrawl" like speaking with a drawl?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Sex cures my hangover 90% of the time.

Result: Have more sex OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    Sex cures my hangover 90% of the time.

Result: Have more sex OP.

Not possible.

(I'm having sex at the moment).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Not possible.

While you type? :eek:

You're either very talented or very boring in the sack. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    While you type? :eek:

You're either very talented or very boring in the sack. :pac:

I'm not doing the typing...!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Not possible.

A female writing the word Sex in reply to your thread on a message board doesn't count as having sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Usually when i drink water after a session it lessens the hangover the next day. Everyones different i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

(i.e. drink shots instead of beer)..

After a night of drinking brandy you will find this is not always true

• Registered Users Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Brilliant post OP

Thanks for doing some "serious research" into the drinking culture........somebody buy that man a pint!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

high quality liqour is better than low quality plonk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

Smyth wrote: »
    I read the whole thing OP (srs)
    not srs

Why bother replying if you don't read the original post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Two Irish coffees make me grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

karlog wrote: »
    Usually when i drink water after a session it lessens the hangover the next day. Everyones different i suppose.

As it would be for most people. Drinking water definitely makes all the difference, if I drink a few pints of water before bed after a fairly heavy session, I can function the next day pretty well. Without....I spend the day in tatters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I find that many people love a fry when hungover - I'm the exact opposite: If I eat a fry when hung over I feel like killing myself. I think it's the salt that really wrecks me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

A few pints of guinness usually sort me out but it's a dodgy one as sometimes the session goes on all day and i'm worse the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

My tips...

Make your last drink a water.
    Have a disprin before bed
    Hot Shower in the morning
    For the love of god, have breakfast!! :eek:
    2 more disprin spread out over the morning
    Decent lunch

Also, as an expirement, pick a (verbal but passive aggressive) fight at work. Keep it holy - remember that these people help to keep you drunk (some of them even drive you to it)

Your theories of the secrets to a wonderful hangover intrigue me. If you were a child, id sponsor you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Great post op, some good reading :)

Edit: To add to this, I tried some Dioralyte the other week - that stuff is special for rehydrating you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

mr. loverman's getting locked tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

wake up early, pop 2-3 nurofen, go back to sleep, wake up 3-4 hours later.....happy days

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I've never had a hangover ever, but thats some nice, and tasty research OP...well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Snypers tips to safe drinking
    • Eat a good mean before drinking
    • Buy your round, skip it and get knifed.
    • Carry a picture of Ann Doyle in your wallet, when the pic turns into cheryl
      cole - Stop drinking

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

In my opinion hangovers are caused by one thing.

The amount of time between drinks.

If you drink 5 pints in the space of an hour, your going to have a ferocious hangover the next day. Your body can't process alcohol at that rate of consumption. Give it a chance.

Basically space your drinks or eat small portions of food as you drink & you'll avoid a hangover. Drink like a maniac on an empty stomach & your gauranteed a hum-dinger of hangover. Obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Cool story bro.

Advertisement