Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoT Books

Options
  • 22-05-2015 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Started reading the books there Wednesday, I'm 3/4 way through the first book.

Man, I cant put the thing down!! Would definitely recommend these to the TV watchers if you are into reading.

The background stories and spider webbing of even minor characters is brilliant!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

When you get to the end of Book 3. Go do/read something else for a few weeks before reading book 4. The pace changes dramatically for books 4 & 5 and if you read them at the same speed you've read the first three, you'll hate them. The beauty in the later books is in the subtleties, things stop being spelled out so clearly and the story moves more towards the political plays etc. than the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

Sleepy wrote: »
    When you get to the end of Book 3. Go do/read something else for a few weeks before reading book 4. The pace changes dramatically for books 4 & 5 and if you read them at the same speed you've read the first three, you'll hate them. The beauty in the later books is in the subtleties, things stop being spelled out so clearly and the story moves more towards the political plays etc. than the action.

Cheers for the tip, I have heard that they work in tandem with each other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

THIS!
    Alot of the fallout from Book 1-3 is dealt with in Book 4 and all our favourite characters POV's are in Book 5. I am reading feast for the third time and I am still picking up little nods and hints. It's gone from my most disliked book to one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

THIS!
    Alot of the fallout from Book 1-3 is dealt with in Book 4 and all our favourite characters POV's are in Book 5. I am reading feast for the third time and I am still picking up little nods and hints. It's gone from my most disliked book to one of my favourites.

Brilliant! Thats what I love about it and why I have literally flipped a switch into not being able to put the books down.

There are endless amount small things that are never picked first or second time over. I think thats what has me hooked so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

+2

I didn't like book 4 when I started reading it. Parked it for awhile and then enjoyed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I think that by the 4th book in anything that long you are going to get a bit weary. I stopped reading Feast during it for a bit and went back but reading it again (well, the first few chapters anyway) you see an insane amount of world building. Before you got some of that no doubt but learning about Dorne, the Riverlands and a look inside a character who you never thought you'd get a POV from are literally the first 80 odd pages. I got a similar feel at the start of Clash of Kings actually. It happens when there's a lot of new characters and places introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

When I first read the books, I literally couldn't have read them any faster, I was basically reading them to find out what happened, rather than reading to enjoy them if that makes sense! So i really didn't enjoy the last two books, because "nothing" really happens!

Have now gone back and read them again at a good pace that lets me enjoy them properly and take everything in, it's a truly amazing read.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

I also recommend the "Boiled leather" reading order for FFC and DWD. It mixes up the story lines so you don't spend too long stuck with characters you might not be so interested in.

http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DM addict wrote: »
    I also recommend the "Boiled leather" reading order for FFC and DWD. It mixes up the story lines so you don't spend too long stuck with characters you might not be so interested in.

http://boiledleather.com/post/25902554148/a-new-reader-friendly-combined-reading-order-for-a
    I'm currently reading FFC (for the first time). Only started the books in Feb. Planning on reading FFC and DWD before I watch S5.
    The idea of a chronological read of the two books together sounds interesting, but way too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Just started reading GoT, love it so far. One of my favourite bits was Brans dream just before he woke up. In the show there was no reference to Bran flying until S04E10. It really gives the sense that a lot of stuff I know about the show will be fleshed out.

Fcuk, that must seem like years ago to anyone who's up to speed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭deviladvocate

I love the show, and prefer seeing things unfold than reading them, but like the extra detail in the books so I've been reading them after the related season of the show airs so I've read up to the end of Storm of Swords which was season 4 (and a small bit of season 5, but I don't mind a little bit of spoilers)
    I've heard book 4 and 5 are done differently, and also that the show has strayed pretty off book this year

So I have a question for anyone that's read the books... I wanna know where can I read up to now,without going ahead of the show? The end of book 4? Or do the books and show just not really line up either story-wise or timeline-wise any more?

Thanks book readers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

I love the show, and prefer seeing things unfold than reading them, but like the extra detail in the books so I've been reading them after the related season of the show airs so I've read up to the end of Storm of Swords which was season 4 (and a small bit of season 5, but I don't mind a little bit of spoilers)
    I've heard book 4 and 5 are done differently, and also that the show has strayed pretty off book this year

So I have a question for anyone that's read the books... I wanna know where can I read up to now,without going ahead of the show? The end of book 4? Or do the books and show just not really line up either story-wise or timeline-wise any more?

The show is getting pretty close to the end of the books now and could well be all the way there at the end of this season. Brans story finished last season which is why he hasn't been in the show this year and the bulk of the other stories are almost there as well. At the pace there going when the season is over you could finish the books and just not read any of the chapters from the new book that have been released.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

At this point you can just read the books tbh. By the end of this season there'll be very little that's not been covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

There's very little that's even similar at this stage bar maybe 4 character locations so I wouldn't worry about it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You can read both A Feast For Crows and Dance With Dragons now without going ahead of the show (or you will in 2 weeks when the season is over rather).

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mormegil

Books 4 and 5 cover the same period of time (more or less) but are split by characters/location.

So for example Brienne's story is told in Book 4 while Tyrion's is in book 5 (this resulted in book readers having to wait 11 years to find out what happened to Tyrion and others after aSoS).

A few show plotlines have strayed quite a bit from their book counterparts and there's also quite a few new characters that aren't in the show (at least not yet).

But as others have said most if not all main characters will be at the same place in both books and show after the end of this season.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You can read both A Feast For Crows and Dance With Dragons now without going ahead of the show (or you will in 2 weeks when the season is over rather).
    And he'd never finish then both in two weeks so he'd be all clear to start them now.

I'm doing the opposite.
    I'm reading FofC now and then I want to read DWDs before I watch S5 (have it all recorded so far).

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭deviladvocate

Thanks guys!! A little confused as to how they crammed so much into that season because the last 2 books are about the size of the first 3 combined and I personally think it hasn't been a great season until towards the end either... Other comments about the last two books make me think it'll be a tough read too but sure what else would ye be doing?!

Thanks guys!! A little confused as to how they crammed so much into that season because the last 2 books are about the size of the first 3 combined
    That last two books are spread over seasons 4 and 5 though, not just the most recent.
    And book 3 was huge, a lot spilt over from S3 to S4.

I read about ten chapters of the first book and haven't gone back since. I just don't have the attention span for books anymore it seems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement