Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - feeling unsafe walking the streets

Options
  • 06-10-2010 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. Was in Dublin today ... around connolly station, abbey street, o'connell street and amiens street. Didn't feel a bit comfortable there. Always had the eye on every prospective mugger, skanger and junkie.

To be honest, I felt much safer in Rome, Madrid, Casablanca and Marrakech - when walking the streets at night!

Why is Dublin such a kip?

Apologies to nice jackeens :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I regularly walk around Dublin City Centre and feel fine. Maybe you're just a softarse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 chicksticks

thats the typical irish scum bag you were looking at they are a law upon themselves and have no respect for nobody and dont give a siht about anyone that would rob you for a fiver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

That part of town is uglyville. Don't look at peoples faces and you'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Street walker in Dublin fear alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

deravarra wrote: »
    Hi guys. Was in Dublin today ... around connolly station, abbey street, o'connell street and amiens street. Didn't feel a bit comfortable there. Always had the eye on every prospective mugger, skanger and junkie.

To be honest, I felt much safer in Rome, Madrid, Casablanca and Marrakech - when walking the streets at night!

You obviously havn't been to the bad areas of Rome, Madrid, Casablanca or Marrakech then!

Dublin is a fairly safe city in comparison to our European counterparts

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

Are you just trying to start a meaningless argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Connolly station is a train station. If you were to walk around the area of a train station in any other street, you wouldn't feel safe either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

Horse_box wrote: »
    You obviously havn't been to the bad areas of Rome, Madrid, Casablanca or Marrakech then!

I was in their equivalents of the places i mentioned ...

Even the notorious Stazione in Rome was not as bad as Connolly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

The honest answer is probably that, since you're an Irishman (presumably), you know instinctively how to recognise Irish scum. In those other places, even if you're well-travelled, you won't be able to distinguish between social types. It's not racism if most people sorta looked the same to you.

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    Are you just trying to start a meaningless argument?

No ... are you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

Horse_box wrote: »

Sure it is. :rolleyes:

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/dublin-murder-rate-is-one-of-europes-highest-1589449.html

"Dublin murder rate is one of Europe's highest"

Dubs can add delusion to their list of many faults! :eek:

Dunjohn wrote: »
    The honest answer is probably that, since you're an Irishman (presumably), you know instinctively how to recognise Irish scum. In those other places, even if you're well-travelled, you won't be able to distinguish between social types. It's not racism if most people sorta looked the same to you.

you probably have a point there ... but it was more like the vibes I was getting... and that's something I didnt like.

I was well forewarned about Rome, and was uber careful - but jayney, Dublin is bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I was in their equivalents of the places i mentioned ...

Even the notorious Stazione in Rome was not as bad as Connolly!

You're from Mullingar. That's one of the scariest towns in the world.

Not dangerous, mind. Just scarey. It reminds me of what the human race could have looked like if mental development & intellectual thought & philospohy had stopped with cro magnon man,

I regularly walk around Dublin City Centre and feel fine. Maybe you're just a softarse?

Yep ... most likely ... but still felt fine around Rome, Madrid, Casablanca and Marrakech.

Not dangerous, mind. Just scarey. It reminds me of what the human race could have looked like if mental development & intellectual thought & philospohy had stopped with cro magnon man,

No, you're thinking of Bray.

that would be fine if i was from here... just live here, working near dublin.

So, what do you do when you're not grumpy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

that would be fine if i was from here... just live here, working near dublin.

So, what do you do when you're not grumpy?

Annoy people on the internet.

I think she's asking you out..........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

but it was more like the vibes I was getting...
    Those kind of shops are always located in dodgy neighbourhoods.

I think you found your place in life ... well, you seem to be making a good start anyways

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »
    I think she's asking you out..........

Really? I could never pick up on those things ...

hmmm wrote: »
    Those kind of shops are always located in dodgy neighbourhoods.

Not the battery driven ones ... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Tallaght Saint

More bleedin' culchies giving out about Dublin

What do you care? You're from Tallagh!

I love Dublin ... the place is fine ... it's just the people :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Well one could always fcuk off back to Rome, Madrid, Casablanca and Marrakech then. You strolled around the most deprived, drug ravaged part of the city centre. Believe me, the equivalents in the above cities you mentioned are much worse but you have never been there as you were just a tourist. Next time make sure your boyfriend is with you so you don't feel so scared!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Sorry op we don't need another Dublin bashing thread tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement