Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Individual liberties, regulation and the obesity epidemic (and possibly other stuff)

• 06-12-2014 6:05pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

///MOD NOTE////
    This thread as was created as a offshoot of a discussion that began in the lefty nutty cookies thread.

Original post below:
    Socially? The soda thing is government overreach, state knows best, ignoring personal responsibility and shortsighted - usually things people decry about the left, no?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Socially? The soda thing is government overreach, state knows best, ignoring personal responsibility and shortsighted - usually things people decry about the left, no?

Nah that's just the likes of the Heil or Faux News just manufacturing controversy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

People are drinking themselves to diabetic, obese death because they're too stupid to stop downing 2k calories worth of liquid sugar every day on top of the food they eat.

Banning massive sodas is a great idea. Sometimes people are too stupid and the government needs to intervene. Sorry if that makes me the new the Comrade Stalin but honestly people act like children too much to not need this sort of intervention. The principle of "let them drink anything they want" is nice and all but the real and stupendous cost to the healthcare system outweighs that easily in my opinion. People incur hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical expenses needlessly because they can't stop drinking liquid sugar. The mind boggles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Zillah wrote: »
    Banning massive sodas is a great idea. Sometimes people are too stupid and the government needs to intervene. Sorry if that makes me the new the Comrade Stalin but honestly people act like children too much to not need this sort of intervention. The principle of "let them drink anything they want" is nice and all but the real and stupendous cost to the healthcare system outweighs that easily in my opinion. People incur hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical expenses needlessly because they can't stop drinking liquid sugar. The mind boggles.

No, it isn't. How will it make a jot of difference? I'm not for a moment going to deny that there are significant issues with physical inactivity and with the quality of what people eat, but there's already enough weight bias, stigma, negativity and fearmongering around without knocking their intelligence. This is a complex issue with a range of causes. Persuasive cases must be made on facts, not emotive argument. Since it's a public health matter (link 1, link 2) as the stats and economic costs infer, I can see the case for intervention, but there are no quick answers. It can't be the libertarian style of letting everyone get on with it and simply talking up personal responsibility. Nor can be can it be the flip side, banning or taxing (sugar tax) way out of the problem.

I've never been overweight or obese. I learned to cook at home and in school. Both of these areas need to be tackled. If you look at Jamie Oliver's TED talk (I know it's emotive, despite what I've said above) there's a clip where he's in a school and the kids don't know what the veggies are. Staged TV or not, that's certainly a bit mental. Also, food manufacturers are not totally blameless here, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

This line of thinking is what this thread was tailor made for.

I'm going to assume you're not generally an authoritarian who thinks that mob rule should determine what laws ought to be passed.

The problem with governments being given a pass on making these kinds of petty authoritarian laws isn't about the specific laws.

By giving a "sane" government that you generally agree with the power to stick it's oar in, you're empowering every version of the government to do the same, including the insane ones or the ones who've a radically different political outlook to you.

For an example on the practical end of the scale, consider how state legislatures have blocked Tesla from selling directly to consumers, nominally to protect the consumer or some bull**** but really, to protect car dealerships. Just because the government says it's doing the right thing doesn't mean that it is.

More seriously, think back to racial segregation laws or even consider laws that are still in effect today throughout the Western world, such as the government deciding who can and can't get married.
    We have invested power in the government to make laws at the behest of one part of society in contravention of the rights of others without any good reason.

Rather than question the underlying principle that keeps ****ing people over, most people seem content to play whack-a-mole with laws as they become unpopular and create new forms of authoritarianism as they become popular.

Consider the root logic behind why it's immoral to prevent 2 men or 2 women from getting married.
    It's not because you like gay people or the two specific men in question are your friends. It's not because you're trying to destroy humanity by stopping people having babies.

It's because it's none of anyone else's ****ing business other than the two people in question.

Would it start being other people's business if legalising homosexuality/homosexual marriage increased the prevalence of AIDS or other STIs (increasing healthcare costs)?
    Would it start being other people's business if allowing gay marriage somehow turned others gay and reduced the effective birth rate?

In general, are practical concerns about the "wellbeing" of society or the financial cost a reason to deny people to right to marry each other?
    In such a situation would the ends justify the means?

You would of course to be correct in saying "fizzy drinks aren't as important as gay rights" but the magnitude isn't what's in question - it's the core principles that are.

Should one group of people, even if they're a majority, be allowed to interfere in matters that aren't their concern?
    Are you happy to abandon your principles for financial or practical shortcuts? If so, why for certain issues and not for others?

I think this broad issue of personal freedom is a problem for a lot of people on both sides of the political spectrum.

I think most people can be intellectually lazy in their approach to it and rather than creating a strong set of beliefs that are based on the core of why racial segregation or banning Christianity are abhorrent to them, they only engage with the issue on a superficial level.
    As a result, when it comes to an issue they don't feel as strongly about or one that they disapprove of, they employ the same fallacious logic that's responsible for laws that disgust them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

There are merits and demerits to lumping everything together like above. Yes there are similarities but there are also differences. Consider vaccination for a moment, as this is one that confuses me no end. Personal liberties are often interrelated. That idiot that didn't vaccinate is the reason this particular virus is still such a dangerous threat. Yet, can we forcibly invade his body autonomy? I don't think so, even if his actions restrict the freedom of others. Take smoking, a person can smoke I believe they should be allowed to take that risk but there's also a clash of liberties. Passive smoking, drain on limited health resources, to name but a few. Whenever the question of individual liberty is considered one must never forget that it's not always just the liberty of the sole individual that's in consideration.

I don't think anything in this world can be black and white. Any core principles can be broken if the benefits outweigh the risk. Establishing where that balance lies is bloody hard but it's far better than the alternatives of absolutes. Which is what leads to the rubbish of bigotry, liberal fascism, right wings fruitcakes etc.

All that said there are very real pragmatic reasons for such absolutes. Like I said, none of this is easy. The people who try to make it so are possibly doing humanity a disservice.

• Advertisement

No, it isn't. How will it make a jot of difference? I'm not for a moment going to deny that there are significant issues with physical inactivity and with the quality of what people eat, but there's already enough weight bias, stigma, negativity and fearmongering around without knocking their intelligence. This is a complex issue with a range of causes. Persuasive cases must be made on facts, not emotive argument. Since it's a public health matter (link 1, link 2) as the stats and economic costs infer, I can see the case for intervention, but there are no quick answers. It can't be the libertarian style of letting everyone get on with it and simply talking up personal responsibility. Nor can be can it be the flip side, banning or taxing (sugar tax) way out of the problem.

I've never been overweight or obese. I learned to cook at home and in school. Both of these areas need to be tackled. If you look at Jamie Oliver's TED talk (I know it's emotive, despite what I've said above) there's a clip where he's in a school and the kids don't know what the veggies are. Staged TV or not, that's certainly a bit mental. Also, food manufacturers are not totally blameless here, imo.

Just because curtailing soda serving size won't single handedly solve the issue doesn't mean it won't help. I didn't say anything about quick and easy answers. My point being, that if we accept for the sake of argument that it will help, I think it is a good thing for a government to do, and be damned to the people whining about how the founding father's were crucified for their right to consume their daily calories in liquid sugar form.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Well, then where do you draw the line - limiting certain carton sizes of cigarettes, quantities of alcohol you can purchase from an off licence or supermarket? People into the oversized sodas might simply buy two medium ones if the massive ones are a no go. I'm not into sentimentality around rights, btw. ;)

Or they might start making or selling their own. The thing about trying to enforce anything by legislation is that you cannot ignore the human factor. For example, if cigarettes were blanket banned in Ireland tomorrow there'd be a black market by the evening. Banning soda's only works if the individual has no access to any alternative and given how easy it is to make a soda drink and that no other country is enforcing a ban it's not beyond the realms of possibility that people would still get the same amount of soda as before anyway. Companies will undoubtedly look for whatever ways they can to negate the effect of a law that impacts their sales. People will always look for a means to fill their perception of needs.

It is not about banning soda, it is simply a disincentive towards casual and unthinking excess. We tax cigarettes and alcohol to hell, there are limitations on what advertising can be done for either, age limitations and legal sale hours (not all of which I think is effective).

The slippery slope has already, if you'll endure the mixed metaphor, sailed. Government has power over you, we're just going to have to hope that the cut and thrust of public discourse will keep them from verging too far into regulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

People are drinking themselves to diabetic, obese death because they're too stupid to stop downing 2k calories worth of liquid sugar every day on top of the food they eat.

There is also another side to this equation, people don't actually know how much sugar and salt they take in every day because the food manufacturers find it in their own best interests to obfuscate how unhealthy and loaded with dangerous additives their foods are (especially the more processed foods at the "affordable" ends of the market, which is what the poor often resort to due to a lack of ability to afford anything better).

This combination of ignorance amongst consumers and rapacious greed amongst producers is the reason why regulation of foodstuffs needs to be a hell of a lot stronger.

• Advertisement

I don't think conflating government regulation of public health issues and marriage equality is anyway meaningful or useful (unless one simply has an anti-government agenda, in which case I'm not sure there is much conversation to be had).

This isn't about me knowing better than someone, it is what the science tells us, what the medical fact tells us. Smoking of anything more than a trivial amount and large amounts of alcohol or sugar are very bad for one's health, and very bad for the public finances when healthcare comes into it. Someone still has the freedom to choose to smoke or eat sugar or drink alcohol to the point where it is effective suicide if they like, I just want it to be made difficult to do this unknowingly.

My opinion is that the government has the right and the duty to legislate so as to disincentivise these things. That's my position and think it is very clear - so far I don't think you have stated a position beyond expressing ambiguous disquiet around the role of government. Are you a libertarian? Should we abolish all government regulation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

keane2097 wrote: »
    This is really another way of saying you know what is best for people and let their freedom to choose be damned.

No it's not. Medical experts are drawing attention to the harm that's being caused by over-consumption of particular foodstuffs, refined sugar being one of the most harmful.

The same medical expertise combined with public health campaigns, banning advertising from the public airwaves, and increased taxes, has successfully reduced cigarette smoking across the developed world.

'Free to choose' has to be balanced with 'free from'. Would any one of us advocate that tobacco companies should be free to advertise on children's TV?

No, because we all agree that children should be free from such predatory practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

My gf was part of the research team for the large Irish study recently that showed a significant correlation between sugar sweetened beverages and childhood obesity, I got to see some of the questionnaires that parents returned that were frankly shocking.

The number of parents that said they gave their kids soft drinks over healthier alternatives for cost reasons was shocking. Or even who wouldn't give them water instead because they didn't like it, and it was just easier to give them SSBs.

I used to be against the idea of a sugar tax for personal liberties reasons but then I realized that it wouldn't significantly affect people who consume sensible quantities of the stuff, whereas those who consume a lot would be more likely to feel the impact and rethink their buying habits for economic reasons, if they're not prepared to consider the health reasons. I'd be prepared to take a small hit if it meant a healthier society overall.

You have to consider the economic and public health impacts as well; obesity related diseases cost the health service roughly €1 billion every year, I think it makes sense to recoup some of this cost directly from source.

TheChizler wrote: »
    I used to be against the idea of a sugar tax for personal liberties reasons but then I realized that it wouldn't significantly affect people who consume sensible quantities of the stuff

The EU (and US) could make a good start by ending subsidies to sugar producers.
    Sugar companies were the biggest beneficiaries of the European Union’s €55bn ($71.24bn) in agriculture subsidies last year, a new study has found.

Topping the list was France’s Tereos, with €178m, according to data compiled by Farmsubsidy.org, a transparency group. It was followed by St Louis Sucre, with €144m, and Poland’s Krajowa Spolka Cukrowa, with €135m.

www.ft.com

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dick Dastardly

Why not tax the hell out of them and use the proceeds to subsidise sugar free options?

I'm not a libertarian. I do not particularly welcome the increasing popularity of this world view, nor do I hold an inherently dim take on government regulation.

A lot of this is in the execution and there is a balance to be struck. The Michael Bloomberg approach appears to be quick headlines. Disincentives have to be more than limitations on the end product and yes, as noted above - there probably needs to be more diversity in agriculture. If regulation of food content is part of the answer then what does that regulation look like? On the tax situation, will any income from a sugar tax be then used and put directly back into health system? Given the often lack of forward thinking here it's hard to feel optimistic that it wouldn't be hoovered up into the general coffers.

Why not tax the hell out of them and use the proceeds to subsidise sugar free options?

That'd be a bit like substituting natural opium for synthetic methadone. I've read that sweeteners are worse than sugar because they set the person up for a sugar-rush that doesn't come causing the 'addict' to seek substitutes i.e. more calories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Gbear wrote: »
    The 'slippery slope' argument about government being involved in some areas/regulations, is pretty irrelevant until you start touching on critical civil liberties issue like free speech and stuff; curtailing the freedom to have 500ml cans of coke instead of 325ml, comes pretty low down on the list of threats to society.

There's nothing wrong with interfering in other peoples business, when it is better for society overall - a workable society the size of ours can't exist in the first place, if you don't, as that's pretty much what every single law does. Finding the dividing line where that can give government too much power, or can create a real slippery slope to tyranny, is often a very complicated matter - that you can't succinctly lay out with just a handful of principles (that's what we have a complex legal/political system for).

Well, then where do you draw the line - limiting certain carton sizes of cigarettes, quantities of alcohol you can purchase from an off licence or supermarket? People into the oversized sodas might simply buy two medium ones if the massive ones are a no go. I'm not into sentimentality around rights, btw. ;)
    Evidence-based policymaking: If any of those things, are proven to significantly help in resolving a societal health issue, why not?

If it's about sugar and calories only, then why are fruit juices excluded? Pure orange juice has a profile not at all dissimilar from Coca Cola.

If we're being scientific about it, then set a calorie limit, or a sugar limit, or a combination of the two (or make it as complicated and correct as you'd like). This is just bad policy pretending to be evidence based policy making.

• Advertisement

If it's about sugar and calories only, then why are fruit juices excluded? Pure orange juice has a profile not at all dissimilar from Coca Cola.

If we're being scientific about it, then set a calorie limit, or a sugar limit, or a combination of the two (or make it as complicated and correct as you'd like). This is just bad policy pretending to be evidence based policy making.
    You're attacking the policy from a theoretical/consistency based view - not an evidence based view.

I don't know what kind of support the can-size regulation has, in evidence.

Banning/ over-taxing things is the lazy way out and ultimately isn't going to solve anything imo. Education on the facts is what people need. Cooking classes in school on tasty basics that aren't instant noodles and a chipper. You can stay away from sugar drinks & juices and still eat your way into unhealthiness and obesity quite easily.
    Sure the info is out there for us internet experts, but as I said elsewhere, if all you know is people drinking or eating badly and nobody has ever told you otherwise or even showed you the actual benefits or cons of it, how do you know what's wrong. Parents give their kids sugar drinks from childhood. Or packets of crisps. Potato, what's that? People come on H&F going "I know about the calories but like drinking 10 cans of coke a day isn't bad otherwise is it?"
    And when I say education I don't mean govt sponsored agri-pushing "eat more wheat! we need to prop up our industries", but something based on actual research. Which changes too based on best knowledge and this needs to be kept up to date.
    In addition to this remember the low fat high sugar thing that was being peddled big time - why should people think sugar is bad if it's "low fat".

bluewolf wrote: »
    Banning/ over-taxing things is the lazy way out and ultimately isn't going to solve anything imo. Education on the facts is what people need. Cooking classes in school on tasty basics that aren't instant noodles and a chipper. You can stay away from sugar drinks & juices and still eat your way into unhealthiness and obesity quite easily.
    Sure the info is out there for us internet experts, but as I said elsewhere, if all you know is people drinking or eating badly and nobody has ever told you otherwise or even showed you the actual benefits or cons of it, how do you know what's wrong. Parents give their kids sugar drinks from childhood. Or packets of crisps. Potato, what's that? People come on H&F going "I know about the calories but like drinking 10 cans of coke a day isn't bad otherwise is it?"
    And when I say education I don't mean govt sponsored agri-pushing "eat more wheat! we need to prop up our industries", but something based on actual research. Which changes too based on best knowledge and this needs to be kept up to date.
    In addition to this remember the low fat high sugar thing that was being peddled big time - why should people think sugar is bad if it's "low fat".

All of these things are helpful and can absolutely work in tandem with regulation of high sugar food and drink.

(Sure, include fruit juice if you like, but A: there certainly isn't a relevant percentage of obese people driving up to McD's and getting a gallon jug of fresh orange juice - so the point is moot - and B: juice at least has some other nutritional content and is low in sodium, unlike coke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

lol yeah, one day these liberals are all "stop using the law to promote religion" and the next day they're all "hey law, stop this guy from stabbing me" lol liberals make up your mind about the government :pac::D:D:confused::P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭swampgas

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I guess it depends on how an individual's actions impact on other people. Laws to discourage drink-driving are easily justified - your desire to drive intoxicated can result in other people getting injured or killed. Laws for seat-belts though, or motorcycle helmets, don't really protect anyone else from harm, at least not directly. Unless we factor in the cost to society of people stupidly killing and maiming themselves.

If people could sign a waiver, saying if they get a head injury while riding a motorcycle without a helmet, that the state won't have to pay for any medical treatment, would that make it okay for them to do so? Or should they be required to take out extra insurance?

There is a weak precedent - hospitals refusing transplants or other treatments to people who won't stop smoking, or who won't stop drinking. If people insist on drinking gallons of sugary drinks, should they be refused treatment for diabetes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote:
    This post had been deleted.

You believe in freedom of speech? You also believe in a person's right to defend their character? Clearly you cannot have freedom of speech or the person's right to defend their good name as absolutes. The same too goes for liberties. Liberties are interrelated. You can harp on all day in absolute terms about crap about liberals, or whatever, but it does not change the fact that liberties are never going to be absolute, they can't by their very nature be.
    If the so-called liberals (and it amuses me greatly to hear the advocates of a nanny state call themselves "liberals") get their way, we ultimately end up with the state controlling absolutely everything
    That is such a big strawman it needs a fibre stronger than straw to keep it held together.

If you cannot admit there is a broad spectra to what people want to regulate, liberate and restrict then there's absolutely no pointing in posting here, or on any discussion anywhere for that matter. Because you'll never actually be addressing the position of others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

This is going to be a long post. I think I'll throw in some TL;DRs for anyone wanting to skim.
    I don't think conflating government regulation of public health issues and marriage equality is anyway meaningful or useful (unless one simply has an anti-government agenda, in which case I'm not sure there is much conversation to be had).

People really do get hung up on analogies, even when it's explicitly stated that what's being compared is not their seriousness but rather a logical construct that underpins the two examples.

I'm not trying to score points using some easy emotional target - I'm picking an obvious example that virtually everyone on this forum agrees with so I don't have to spend time finding one you would accept. You can compare commonalities in anything.

You can't dismiss arguments by mislabling that comparison as conflation to suit your own arguments. If the elements I'm comparing are not analogous than by all means tell me why and I'll stop making the comparison.
    This isn't about me knowing better than someone, it is what the science tells us, what the medical fact tells us. Smoking of anything more than a trivial amount and large amounts of alcohol or sugar are very bad for one's health, and very bad for the public finances when healthcare comes into it. Someone still has the freedom to choose to smoke or eat sugar or drink alcohol to the point where it is effective suicide if they like, I just want it to be made difficult to do this unknowingly.

There are several elements to this:

1) I think you're incorrectly entangling scientific consensus with governmental policy. (TL;DR the door left open to allow science to influence public policy cannot be closed when bull**** turns up.)

That there is a consensus in how to avoid the negative health effects of consuming certain products does not mean that the government will correctly apply the recommended policies.

We already have a system in place that is perfectly capable of taking the opinions of experts on board and using them to drive policy, yet that clearly doesn't always happen.
    You have governments (local for the most part) prohibiting the use of flouride in drinking water, you have huge swathes of governments, especially in the US, ignoring climate science, you have the anti-women abortion policies based on faulty information, you have the nonsensical approach to drug classification all over the place (to the point where the appointed experts are even fired for not bending to the politicisation of drug policy).

You might say "just because it doesn't work doesn't mean that it couldn't", and you'd be correct. Lacking an option that promotes liberty, I would hope for a more fact-based approach to governmental policy.

The problem is that I do not think that you can distinguish between the apparatus used by science-driven policy and bull****-driven policy.
    So the same power that, for example, penalises the use of fossil-fuel driven cars based on wanting to combat climate change, can be used to impede the sale of electric cars.

Scientific consensus isn't an executive tool - there's no overlord who decides what is and isn't a fact. All the scientific consensus does, from a political perspective, is give you some ammunition to win support. It's by no means the only form or even most powerful form of ammunition.

2) People have different, equally valid priorities.
    Saying there's a benefit from a medical perspective is pretty much a completely empirical statement.

Saying there's a general benefit to society or to the individual is a value judgement and the only person who's opinion is important is the individual in question. They decide whether stuffing their faces is worth the health risk....

3).... except there's the whole socialised medicine issue. (TL;DR, practicality isn't a license to abandon logical consistency - certainly not on a debate forum).

That certainly could complicate the matter, however, the issue I raised a yesterday, vis a vis gays, is important here.

If there was a public health or wellbeing issue raised in opposition to, for example, legalising homosexuality, is that a reasonable objection?
    On this issue, pretty much the whole forum would agree that even if legalising homosexuality created a problem for the health service (like if it increased AIDS or something), that still wouldn't be a reason to keep a sexual preference illegal.

The problem with trying to dismiss this line of thought as being irrelevant because civil rights are more important is that we've already had laws like this that use moralistic or health-based arguments. They weren't overturned because there was a fundamental shift that abandoned their underpinnings in law - they were overturned because there was a shift in popularity.
    That they were incorrect from moral or logical standpoint isn't actually relevant unless the scientific consensus is forcibly and rigorously imposed to steer public policy.
    The politician who's pushing for a ban on phone masts because they give you brain cancer doesn't give a **** what the scientific consensus is and the success or failure of such a law being enacted will only very loosely be determined by it.

Why are those arguments unreasonable for a serious issue like civil rights but perfectly ok for more minor civil liberties?

If there is no fundamental issue with the logic (ie - the government should interfere to influence public health as it sees fit) then do you have a non-arbitrary distinction between what issues are serious enough?

I would think that here of all places would place a value on being logically consistent, not because being logically consistent is nice or wins you points but because being anything else is totally intellectually dishonest.

4) "I just want it to be made difficult to do this unknowingly."

The specifics of the law are irrelevant - whether it's banning cups over a certain size, using a certain % of sugar in drinks or whatever - you're intruding on what a businesses can and can't sell.

That's really nothing to do with improving the knowledge of the consumer. Totally unrelated.

Undermining the decision to live unhealthily by addressing it in school curricula would be an example of how to address that issue. Even stuff like putting pictures of cancerous lungs on cigarette packets, which does make certain authoritarian strides against businesses (purely in terms of deciding how they can package their product), still primarily increases the choice of the consumer by giving them extra information.

If education improves the healthcare considerations by people eating more healthily as a result of it, it makes legal interference at the point of sale redundant.

• Advertisement

Yea this is following the typical pattern, where Libertarians sit at the position of advocating 'Minarchism' (a limited government aimed at protecting property rights), yet use generic black-and-white "Government involvement in everything is bad" type arguments - even though that is incompatible with Minarchism - in order to try and shift the debate rightwards.

It's not even consistent with their own views - just a rhetorical tactic.

Advertisement