Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone here do 'Industrial and Pharmaceutical Chemistry' in University of Limerick?

• 07-12-2014 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Was it a tough course? And how many hours a week of lectures etc did you have to do? Was it a lot of time compared to courses like business studies?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

I have to wonder why you're comparing a science course to a business course here.

My advice to anyone considering a science or engineering course is have a long hard think about why you want to do it. It's not something to throw down on the CAO form just for the hell of it.

Regarding P&IC, you're looking at 20-30 hours contact time per week (lectures, labs, tutorials). Assignments will vary depending on what year you're in and where you are in the semester. If you're not interested in science in general, and chemistry in particular, it'll be hell. If you are, it's challenging but manageable.

If you're doing higher level maths and are good at it, you could consider chemical engineering too. It's a tougher course but very rewarding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ioen

Im in third year on that course. First year is actually handy enough, youll have about 18 22 hours depending on what labs are on what week. First year modules are physics, chemistry, biology maths and computer applications. The science modules in first semester are more or less a rehash of the leaving cert if you have done the subjects , but if you havent it gives you a chance to gain a footing. In second semester you take on physical, organic and inorganic chemistry. It gets a little tougher when you take on process technology in second and third year however if you aare good at science I would recommend doing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Beargrylls01

The people in this class are generally very competent, out of all the science courses I have had contact with.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

I'm in fourth year Industrial Biochemistry. I wouldn't recommend this course unless you're really interested in science. If you're not it will make it almost impossible. It gets very tough in third year and requires an awful lot of study. On average there would be maybe 30 hours of college a week (but less later in the course). But you'll also have to make time for lab reports, which could be one or two a week depending on the semester. There aren't many assignments to worry about. Some aspects of the course are worse than others. There are some really interesting classes like the biochemistry modules, microbiology and genetic engineering. But some difficult classes like bioprocess engineering and some maths modules. If you like science this would be a great course as you would have a lot of job opportunties, but if not forget it!

Sorry I totally misread the title. Wrong course :P

Bioprocess engineering isn't difficult, and isn't something to worry about if you have the time to sit down and read through the notes.
    I am in that class this year too, it's relatively easy and the teacher is pretty supportive of people who might need a little extra help. Far too supportive some might say.

Also a distinction should be made between industrial biochemistry and industrial and pharmaceutical chemistry, the latter is much more heavily maths orientated and share all core process engineering modules with the chemical engineers. That shouldn't put any prospective science student off, they seemed to get on very well in all the classes I had with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

My boyfriend has just come out of Industrial and phramaceutical chemistry and has gone into a Phd from it but from what I saw of him in 3rd and 4th year is it is a tough course. Depending on the students, a few do drop out or fail and you will really really struggle through if you don't have a real passion and interest in the field of study. It's like any course really, if you don't like it, you're not going to have a great time.

I would have a good hard think about it though, especially if Business is your other option because those two vary greatly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

It's strange..
    I had to look back at the post to make sure it wasn't me that posted it.. :P

I did this course for first year and dropped out.
    Loved the course and with a bit more effort, could've passed first year but one module stumped me. A lot of work to put into it and I was blinded by the prospects of the degree afterwards more than, is this course for me.
    Loved the labs, didn't mind the maths (challenging but doable) but a Thermochemistry module in the second semester threw me completely.
    Now I missed this chapter when I was in school due to a broken ankle so I felt like a fish out of water when it was time to do experiments and write up calculations. On top of that, illness took hold at end of my first year but I had decided at that stage to drop out. Also, unless you covered all the sciences in school, there's going to be at least one that you haven't done. For me, it was Physics. Took to it in my stride though, full credit o the lecturers.
    I would've held out on that module too but I think it went on for 5 semesters and didn't think it was feasible.

I dropped out of that course to do Economics and Sociology.
    Crazy change but it was what I was best at.
    The English in Sociology and was decent at business, really it should've been my first choice.
    An expensive error to make and you really don't want to repeat. I'd say knuckle down and really think what you're best at and what you want to do afterwards. UL's science facilities are excellent, as is their business school, the thing you need to decide is, what do I want to do for the rest of my life and how much work am I willing to put in to achieve it.

The best of look choosing and PM me if you've any Qs.
    Currently 3rd year Economics and Sociology on Coop.

Also if you are interested in an engineering course similar to this one, PM me, because this course is probably only a few classes short of a chemical engineering degree, ye share 4 of our core modules at least, and a handful of others, and should be looked at if you are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ioen

Yeah Ill join in with the PM invites. If you like you can message me and Ill send on some notes and stuff that you can look at

Advertisement