Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it okay to fail an exam if you have gotten over 40% already with assignments?

• 09-12-2014 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I had an exam today that didn't go so well and I have a bad feeling that I could've failed it. With assignments that I've done for this module, I have already gotten over 40% but do you need to pass the exam as well to pass the module or is it okay to fail it if you have gotten over 40% already with assignments and projects prior to the exam?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Depends on the lecturer. Some will require that you pass both the coursework and exam components in order to pass the module, precisely because some people will try and slack off for the exam if they think they've done enough on the coursework (not saying that's the case here, but it's not uncommon). The lecturer should have pointed out any requirements during the introduction to the module in week 1. Best thing to do might be to have a chat with the lecturer and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Poppy121

Chimaera wrote: »
    Depends on the lecturer. Some will require that you pass both the coursework and exam components in order to pass the module, precisely because some people will try and slack off for the exam if they think they've done enough on the coursework (not saying that's the case here, but it's not uncommon). The lecturer should have pointed out any requirements during the introduction to the module in week 1. Best thing to do might be to have a chat with the lecturer and see.

I went back over the Introduction lecture slides and it says on the Assessment slide is that the assignments are worth 60% and the exam itself is worth the remaining 40%. Do you think that means anything? I just don't want to email my lecturer on the off-chance that I actually pass my exam. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It should say something like "A minimum D2 is required in the final exam to pass the module." if it is actually a requirement.

But really the only way to know is to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

They usually state it at the start. I don't think I've ever had a module where you didn't have to pass the final exam too.

Advertisement