Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rearview Mirror

Options
  • 29-01-2008 10:07pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The other day I knocked (slightly, I must stress) the rearview mirror in my car - the one on the inside - which promptly fell off. According to the "owner's manual" the mirror is designed to fall off in case of impact as a safety feature - I'd have thought that an elbow would not have the same effect as a car crash, but I obviously stand corrected. I've tried to stick it back up with the "Locktite Rearview Mirror and Aerial Bonder" which I got in a filling station, but that worked less than if I'd used bluetack... I've gone to one of those Motor Factor shops but they only had permanent glue. Now, here's my question: is there an adhesive on the market that would work a bit like the original one (i.e. that would make the mirror drop in case of impact), or would I have to replace the whole thing? I phoned the dealership but they couldn't tell me. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

isn't a rearview mirror the one inside the cabin? that's what the glue you bought is for.

What car is it? some sort of Opel or a Ford Focus by any chance?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It's a Fiat Panda (no slagging please - aside from the mirror it's been a superb little car).

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

did the whole mirror casing fall off or just the glass?

is it broken on the hinge part?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

Dealers are the worst to talk to...but I'm sure if you go there and show them that it is an in-tact piece, they can sell you some glue. Don't let them talk you into getting a new one or paying people to do it though, that's where it gets expensive.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Colm_MCM, the whole thing fell off in one piece, the windscreen is completely smooth - it's not broken as such, just unstuck. I'd be curious to know how they stuck it to the glass in the factory...

MCMLXXXIII, if everything else fails I'll do that, but I'll go to another dealer - not the same that sold me the car - I wasn't impressed to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IIRC most motor factors will have a double sided adhesive pad for this task. I had to get one years ago for my old Fiesta and it worked a charm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Make sure both surfaces are fully clean and free from oil/grease/dirt/moisture before sticking the mirror back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The Henkel/Loctite stuff should do the trick. I've used it regularly without any problems. Usually they come with a mesh that goes between the mirror and the glass. Be sure to clean the glass and the surface of the mirror before refitting it.

Thanks everyone. Crosstownk, I did try with that Locktite with the gauze/ mesh but it most definitely didn't work. Axer & Crosstownk, I made sure that both glass and mirror base were super-clean, grease free and absolutely dry before trying to stick the mirror back on but no luck. KBannon, I'll try with the pads too, but would they still make the mirror drop in case of impact? If it's supposed to be a safety feature I'd rather keep it that way...

Advertisement