Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

automatics off road

Options
  • 26-01-2008 2:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

i own a landrover defender which is great for off roading but the lack of leg room is a serious issue for me
    i was thinking of changing for a toyota landcruiser but would only do so if i could get a good 2nd hand automatic , i love automatics although ive never owned one , i do a fair bit of toeing and while i know the automatic would be harder on juice , i dont see any problem toeing while on roaad , i am however somewhat apprehensive of an automatics abilitiy to toe off road

ive been told they are not near as good as a manual when in the mud

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Automatic is actually quite good for non-competion off-roading. The torque converter in an auto box gives a nice, smooth spread of power to the wheels, preventing wheelspin and digging in.

The only problem is a steep descent. If there are no electronic helpers like hill descent control, the auto box will run away from you as it has very little engine breaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

An automatic transmission is most certainly the mutt's dangly bits for the competitive stuff too.
    Most of the heavy hitters in the U.K. 'Challenge' scene are gone to automatics at this stage, and they've been pretty much standard equipment for the hillrally/comp safari lads for years too.
    They're even making significant inroads into the trials game, traditional stronghold of the die-hard 'old school' manual gearbox aficionado. The fact that 'cheap enough' auto-box donor vehicles have only fairly recently become more available probably has something to do with that too. ;)

My current challenge car (a Tomcat 90, last photo in this post) has an auto-box, as had the heavily modified Land-Rover 90 before it.

The only downside to the automatic is, as already stated, the absence if significant engine braking.
    This is easily enough overcome by educating the left foot to operate the brakes with the same sensitivity as the right, a technique I also employ in the Audi in that linked post (and every other automatic I get to drive).
    In every other way, the automatic is superior to a manual box; the ability to 'creep' up to and over an obstacle, as opposed to riding a manual clutch to approximate the same effect; the ability to shift up or down the gears while on the move and without lifting off the throttle, unlike in a manual where dipping the clutch to change gear provides instant loss of drive and momentum; much, much easier to match wheel speed to ground speed when winching; the auto-box acts as a sort of 'shock absorber' in the drivetrain, significantly reducing breakages of propshafts, differentials, halfshafts, CV joints, etc.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anyone I know in the competitive 4x4 off-road scene who has gone back to a manual box after driving an automatic.

As you may have guessed, I'm a big fan of automatic transmissions in off-roaders. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

thanks a bunch everyone for all the replys

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I have a 01 LWB Commercial Auto that will be for sale shortly if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

I read before that you should get an oil cooler fitted if you plan on doing a lot of towing on an automatic. As the auto-box oil can get too hot from the added stress.

It could just be on saloons though as you'd image a land cruiser would have this... worth asking about or I'm sure someone here will clarify.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

ballooba wrote: »
    I have a 01 LWB Commercial Auto that will be for sale shortly if you're interested.

sorry , i think the long wheel base are ugly , besides im looking to change my 03 landrover defender passanger for an 04 landcruiser auto comercial

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

moe_sizlak wrote: »
    sorry , i think the long wheel base are ugly , besides im looking to change my 03 landrover defender passanger for an 04 landcruiser auto comercial
    Good thing I have a skin like an elephant.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I use a 1975 RangeRover 3.9 v8 auto for offroading and find it quite good,I dont tow with it so no idea what it would be like.

Advertisement